Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I went to college in the seventies in a small town in central Georgia, Milledgeville. This town was the capital of Georgia during the war.
Time moves slowly there in the Deep South and "old times there are not forgotten."

I was living in an old apartment building. My next door neighbor was a granny about 65 years old. I was talking to her one day, she wanted me to help her move a sofa. When I was in her living room I saw a big portrait of General Longstreet on the wall. I told her I liked the portrait and she said that Longstreet was her great grandfather.
I told her Longstreet was a great general.

She said, "Yes, but he hurt our cause because he was a little slow coming up at Gettysburg."

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
All the grand and glorious battles were basically in the east. Wasteful and gory affairs.

The north won the war by their strategic victories in the west!

Beginning with Ft. Donelson

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
laugh yeah, but they didn't deliberately set fire to any barns or loot any farms!
Matter of fact, Marse Robert sent out orders to all of his units to avoid destruction of civilian property! Anything taken was paid for, albeit with Confederate scrip.
Horses were needed for logistics, but for the most part the Rebels avoided commandeering civilian property, and there was no destruction just for destruction's sake.
Surely you see the difference.
7mm

Lobbing cannonball into a town of civilians is somehow ok, but setting fire and looting farms isn't.? What was that again?

Anyway, I will leave you with this to try and turn around. The entire content will follow in in a link:

Ahhhh, what can I say, or more to the point what can you say....I'm sure it will be something with little basis....Unfortunately. Now have yourself some sweet tea, and realize neither side went at each other like two goody two shoe participants.

Lee was fairly high up in the chain of command, and here he was, riding around with a known farm raider. Why, shucks, golly gee and well ahhhhhh!!!!

"For the job of leading the wagon train of the wounded, Lee turned to Brig. Gen. John D. Imboden, an independent cavalry officer who was somewhat suspect in the eyes of regular officers. Imboden was a career lawyer and politician with no military experience, who began his service with an artillery detachment and later raised a band of partisan rangers that had proved adept at raiding farms and railroads despite, according to Confederate brass, a lack of proper military training and discipline. Imboden’s privateers had been assigned to guard duty during the battle, but their credentials up to that point did include several daring and successful raids on the B&O Railroad and pro-Union farmers."

The entire link:

https://www.historynet.com/lee-escapes-from-gettysburg.htm

Last edited by battue; 07/27/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
I don’t really get into the slavery debate, I don’t believe in it.

So the the South had slaves? And the North had immigrants that were in a way slaves to the rich Yankees? Company stores, no way out, appalling living conditions.....it seems everyone was owned.

I'm currently reading "A Disease In the Public Mind", a book that studies slaveryin America and the abolition movement in New England. Not something I'd normally read, but since slavery was the major cause of secession...
One of the things that has always struck me, and especially while reading this book, is the hypocrisy of some who were backing the abolition while totally ignoring the fact of "wage slavery" everywhere else.
Slaves in the south were owned property, and as such had value, so they were cared for and looked after, just like domestic stock.
Wage slaves in factories or mines were usually much worse off. The only value they held for industry owners was as workers, and nobody really give a rats rectum if they were healthy or what their living conditions were. Even while the war was being pursued "to free the slaves" in the south, up here in Pennsylvania and all over the U.S., the coal mines, textile mills, iron foundries, railroads, you name it, were importing Poles, Slovs, all kinds of Hunkies from Eastern Europe and Ireland.
These people were forced to live in abject poverty, payed only in company scrip which was worthless everywhere but the company store, and lived in company owned shacks in company run towns. Matter er of fact, in PA's anthracite regions, those who protested such conditions usually found their names at the top of the Civil War draft list.
This practice was carried on well after the Civil War "freed the slaves" in the south! Well into the 1920s and 30s.
So tell me again how this great nation (which I love) fought a costly and bloody fratricidal war to end human bondage! mad
Bulshit, it was a rich man's war and a poor man's fight.
The soapbox is now open! grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are still an awful lot of folks who believe Longstreet was to blame for the loss at Gettysburg. Historians are slowly getting the facts straight, but Jube Early and Pendelton's "Lost Cause" still sticks in a lot of minds.
And even more think the war was about slavery!
Battue, let's drop this. I can see we aren't gonna agree about what is or isn't acceptable warfare. I don't drink sweet tea, but I'd be happy to buy you a coffee or beer. Your choice laugh
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Internal colonism

South already had the infrastructure in place the northern industrialist wanted. Unfortunately there existed an unnecessary middleman in the form of the plantation/slave owner. (And European financial interest have no business getting involved). Freeing the chattal sanctified the northern cause.

Like J P Morgan stated, "There are always two reasons a man does something, the right reason and the real reason."

Money, money, money.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And there you go, using the word "hunkie" to describe a nationality. Why in today's enlightened times that is totally unacceptable. And to include my Irish into your groupings? Why, I find that most degrading. An apology isn't enough, I demand reparation!!!!

Great Grandad was an O'Neill, but couldn't get work because he was Irish. Simple, he changed it to Neil and went to work. The other side were Germans, Hornbergers by name, and worked the mines. Eventually said screw that and became farmers. it was then and not now. It was the reality of then which is different than the reality of now. Right? Doesn't matter, it was reality.

Then after all this time you call some of us Hunkies. Surly, a person of you enlightened position can do better.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are still an awful lot of folks who believe Longstreet was to blame for the loss at Gettysburg. Historians are slowly getting the facts straight, but Jube Early and Pendelton's "Lost Cause" still sticks in a lot of minds.
And even more think the war was about slavery!
Battue, let's drop this. I can see we aren't gonna agree about what is or isn't acceptable warfare. I don't drink sweet tea, but I'd be happy to buy you a coffee or beer. Your choice laugh
7mm

Fine, take the easy way....Coffee

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which 'Burg are you outside of? I grew up near Johnstown and Windber. Steel and coal respectively. "Hunkies" is (or was) an accepted term for referring to Eastern Europeans. Hell, my Mom was a Hunky! 3rd generation Czechoslovakian.
7mm

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The one with an h.

After leaving the farm country, I grew up in a mill town. Slovaks, Serbs, Polish-lots of hunkies. Many Dagos and damn few of us Irish, there wasn't enough of us to have our own club, so we used all of theirs and went to their picnics. Negros as they preferred back then. Mostly Catholic and some Presbyterians, Methodists, etc. Unlike today, you had to go way overboard to cause any nationality offense. We were better for it. Nationality meant next to nothing with us kids, other than the food was different when you ate at another's home.

Cant remember a single chink....Probably why it took me so long to like the food.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll raise you a camptown ladies....

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
De Camptown Ladies?????????

Jez like Robert McAlpin Williamson , aka Three-Legged Willie, Im a fan of Coal Black Rose!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_McAlpin_Williamson

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

So the the South had slaves? And the North had immigrants that were in a way slaves to the rich Yankees? Company stores, no way out, appalling living conditions.....it seems everyone was owned.

Yep

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The North had slaves...West Va, Delaware, Maryland, Ky, Mo., D.C. and even New Jersey had a few remaining slaves. Grant himself had slaves.

Virginia was invaded, looted, destroyed and occupied by slave owners.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I fold, you win.... grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Robert_White

The North had slaves...West Va, Delaware, Maryland, Ky, Mo., D.C. and even New Jersey had a few remaining slaves. Grant himself had slaves.

Virginia was invaded, looted, destroyed and occupied by slave owners.

Factually true, however while the vast majority of those below the line didn't own slaves. It was even less above, significantly less. Much of the economy below depended on it, significantly less, and practically none above.

The ownership of slaves was a cash poor business. Those in it big were most often land rich and cash poor. Cotton was hard on the soil and they needed to keep expanding their land holdings. When cotton prices were high they were living large. More years than not they lost money.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'm currently reading "A Disease In the Public Mind", a book that studies slaveryin America and the abolition movement in New England. Not something I'd normally read, but since slavery was the major cause of secession...
One of the things that has always struck me, and especially while reading this book, is the hypocrisy of some who were backing the abolition while totally ignoring the fact of "wage slavery" everywhere else.
Slaves in the south were owned property, and as such had value, so they were cared for and looked after, just like domestic stock.
Wage slaves in factories or mines were usually much worse off. The only value they held for industry owners was as workers, and nobody really give a rats rectum if they were healthy or what their living conditions were. Even while the war was being pursued "to free the slaves" in the south, up here in Pennsylvania and all over the U.S., the coal mines, textile mills, iron foundries, railroads, you name it, were importing Poles, Slovs, all kinds of Hunkies from Eastern Europe and Ireland.
These people were forced to live in abject poverty, payed only in company scrip which was worthless everywhere but the company store, and lived in company owned shacks in company run towns. Matter er of fact, in PA's anthracite regions, those who protested such conditions usually found their names at the top of the Civil War draft list.
This practice was carried on well after the Civil War "freed the slaves" in the south! Well into the 1920s and 30s.
So tell me again how this great nation (which I love) fought a costly and bloody fratricidal war to end human bondage! mad
7mm

I told you that was a good book. Wait until you get to the part about John Brown and how the northern press cheered him on and how he was given financial support by rich agitators.

The parallels between then and today where the media cheerleads for the violent acts of Antifa who is bankrolled by the likes of George Soros are striking. The whole period from 1820 up to the War looks a lot like today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob

7mm

I told you that was a good book. Wait until you get to the part about John Brown and how the northern press cheered him on and how he was given financial support by rich agitators.

The parallels between then and today where the media cheerleads for the violent acts of Antifa who is bankrolled by the likes of George Soros are striking. The whole period from 1820 up to the War looks a lot like today.
Several years back I drew parallels on here to the Civil War and what is happening present-day. Some found it offensive.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I most definitely think you could be more right than wrong. A division of another nature is most certainly not getting any smaller.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,200
Posts18,485,185
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.