Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 117 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 116 117
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Come on, now.

Hey just because two things is related don't mean they come from a common ancestor! Ohhh wait a minute! It does! Holy mackerel! Wowza!

Hey, I hear in some parts of the world your ancestor might just be your descendant too. I mean, look at them folks what have a sister who's their wife too, and that kinda goins on?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
And the Earth was flooded with fresh water about 4000 yrs ago,

typical case of garbage in, garbage out. Start with stupidity, and the conversation goes downhill from there.

Sam......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is this, or is this not compelling?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
just 39 pages or so. can't stop now.

antelope sniper has asked what do we believe and why.

well, that's a start. i'll begin by sayin' i was taught evolution theory after i was taught about the old & new testament. so they came first and foremost. i was young at the time, btw. so, it was downloaded into a young brain, that was untaught and undeducated. but it was a beginning.

later, some goofy ph.d's started talking about all kinds of crazy stuff that i ain't never hurt tell uf before. one was evolution, and it just kept getting deeper and deepr.

so, what do i believe and why? about all i know is what i've been told. except for what questions i have raised sorting through the debris, odds & ends, and detritus. there is in fact very little that i believe that is in fact "mine" to believe. i got most my stuff from the cloud, so to speak. but, i continually sort, add levels of importance from low to high, and add probability to the unknown, bayesian i suppose. anyways, i try to keep my little island of consciousness afloat on a piece of flotsam believing that we'll see land sooner or later.

some say the only way to decide what is true is to vote on it. others disagree vehemently, almost violently even?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by DBT
The word 'God' is used an awful lot, but what does it mean? Can anyone explain?

Why bother?

Some things don't need 'splainin'.

Like air:

Geno

Is it a matter of 'why bother' or just something that cannot be explained because there is no evidence for existence? I say the latter.

God cannot be literally described or explained as in a literal or actual God because 'God' is just an idea cooked up in the human mind. Consequently, all we have is a contradictory collection of ideas that some folks take literally, being convinced that this or that idea about God happens to be true and factual information.

Especially if it's something written by the ancients in what we call holy books, imagining authority or privaliged information where none exists, just ideas that people believed and wrote about.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
just 39 pages or so. can't stop now.

antelope sniper has asked what do we believe and why.

Fair 'nuff. I believe that God created everything. Somebody did and we define that entity as God. Even the quantum soup idea requires somebody create dimensions and a universe to hold them for quantum-something to work in.

I also believe that evolution is likely correct. Evidence supports it and as far as I know there is no scientific evidence to the contrary.

And I believe these are not contradictory positions. The bible is not a book of science, it is a book of morals. Taken as such and written with the free use of literary devices there is nothing in the poetic language of Genesis that prohibits evolution.

And there is nothing in evolutionary theory that prohibits divine intervention. Can be fairly read as a map of "how he did it." The odds that evolution, and more so creation, worked out the way it did are long indeed. You can fairly say that's Mother Nature, people win Powerball. But there is no reason to not say the divinity had his thumb on the scale for this outcome. Statistics by it's nature cannot be definitive.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
God cannot be literally described or explained as in a literal or actual God because 'God' is just an idea cooked up in the human mind.

Now that is open for debate and has been for a couple thousand years now.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That would mean man has been around longer than god - yes / no?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by DBT
God cannot be literally described or explained as in a literal or actual God because 'God' is just an idea cooked up in the human mind.

That's why I asked the forum what do YOU believe.......and why.

Any proper discussion of "god(s)" begins with a definition of what the participants mean by God. Obviously your concept of God is very different than that of JoeBob, or Ringman or Curdog.

I would agree with DBT that there is no one universal description of God, not even if we limit that to the Christian God.

Many gods can be disproven by demonstrating their beliefs conflict with reality. The Greek Gods live on the top of Mount Olympus. Man has been to the top of Olympus and there were not there, so we've disproven gods falling within that definition.

The more general and nebulous the definition, of course, the harder it is to falsify a given god, but it also tends to make the god more meaningless. As an example a god who cannot (or will not) interact with this world, for practical reasons, is the same as no god at all.

I would like to split some hair with your definition of God.

"Even the quantum soup idea requires somebody create". I would agree the idea of a quantum soup begs for an explanation, but I fail to see where the explanation requires a sentient being to create it. See, the simpler and more humble the beginnings, the less extraordinary that which explains it needs to be. An all knowing, all powerful, all benevolent creator of universes, well, that's a pretty extraordinary claim, and would carry a very high burden of proof....with it's own infinite regress explaining the origins of the grand underlying complexities that lead to this Omni-everything creator (no Special Pleading allowed here).

As for the Bible being a book of useful morals I leave you with the following:

It's not the only moralistic interpretation of this story, but it's the one I find the most useful.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

As far as we know God created everything this morning....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

well, there is that. and it'd be hard to disprove to.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Gus

well, there is that. and i'd be hard to disprove to.

Trippy!

--- Kid Rock 2022

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus

well, there is that. and i'd be hard to disprove to.

Trippy!

lol. too funny!

so, how do the rulers of the planet ever manage to get 7 plus billion humans in line and following the script?

i sometimes suspect people like antelope sniper along w/several others are going to require tutoring, maybe more?

but what should the textbook say? what would be it's chapters? what subject matter should be covered through the grades?

how will we best factor in bio-engineering, and a logical expression of how the family farms are doomed for the betterment of us all?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

What does this so called debate entail? Christians do not agree with Hindus on the nature of God, or with Muslims, Jews disagree with Christians on the nature of Jesus and God.... that's without mentioning other religions and their offshoots...so this 'debate' hardly represents a coherent or literal description of God, whatever that is supposed to be.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's some real trouble makers in our midst!

Keep it up Gus....

--- Kid Rock 2022

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

What does this so called debate entail? Christians do not agree with Hindus on the nature of God, or with Muslims, Jews disagree with Christians on the nature of Jesus and God.... that's without mentioning other religions and their offshoots...so this 'debate' hardly represents a coherent or literal description of God, whatever that is supposed to be.

If there was one true god, the arrival of Europeans in the new world would of been a little different:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Com'on man.... Don't be such a downer. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's some real trouble makers in our midst!

Keep it up Gus....

i'm just another volunteer.

pointed to this location by the leader.

once upon a time, johnson was my leader.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT

Start at the beginning. I exist. You exist apart from me. We each came into existence as separate individuals, how did that happen? There must have been an entity to cause that. Nothing happens without a mover, a causing force. Skip through the Thomistic proofs, the upshot is there must have been a prime, uncreated entity and there can only be one. That we call God. Whatever characteristics you want to add to God is another matter. You can argue that this mode of thought, metaphysics, came from ancient Greeks in their consideration of fundamental transcendent desires of man.

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT

Start at the beginning. I exist. You exist apart from me. We each came into existence as separate individuals, how did that happen? There must have been an entity to cause that. Nothing happens without a mover, a causing force. Skip through the Thomistic proofs, the upshot is there must have been a prime, uncreated entity and there can only be one. That we call God. Whatever characteristics you want to add to God is another matter. You can argue that this mode of thought, metaphysics, came from ancient Greeks in their consideration of fundamental transcendent desires of man.

Do you equate the alleged "prime mover" with the classical God of Christianity, and if so, how do you logically move from the former to the latter?

Page 20 of 117 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.