M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT
God cannot be literally described or explained as in a literal or actual God because 'God' is just an idea cooked up in the human mind.

Now that is open for debate and has been for a couple thousand years now.

That's why I asked the forum what do YOU believe.......and why.

Start at the beginning. I exist. You exist apart from me. We each came into existence as separate individuals, how did that happen? There must have been an entity to cause that. Nothing happens without a mover, a causing force. Skip through the Thomistic proofs, the upshot is there must have been a prime, uncreated entity and there can only be one. That we call God. Whatever characteristics you want to add to God is another matter. You can argue that this mode of thought, metaphysics, came from ancient Greeks in their consideration of fundamental transcendent desires of man.

Cocktail hour? (jk)

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
There's some real trouble makers in our midst!

Keep it up Gus....

Asking questions being the sign of a 'trouble maker?'

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
God cannot be literally described or explained as in a literal or actual God because 'God' is just an idea cooked up in the human mind.

Now that is open for debate and has been for a couple thousand years now.

What does this so called debate entail? Christians do not agree with Hindus on the nature of God, or with Muslims, Jews disagree with Christians on the nature of Jesus and God.... that's without mentioning other religions and their offshoots...so this 'debate' hardly represents a coherent or literal description of God, whatever that is supposed to be.

Com'on man.... Don't be such a downer. LOL

Healthy scepticism is a positive thing, uplifting and enlightening, throwing off the burden of dogma.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DBT
There's some real trouble makers in our midst!

Keep it up Gus....

Asking questions being the sign of a 'trouble maker?'

Yep! Especially the seekers of answers! But also scope dialers, pilots, and other heathens.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you equate the alleged "prime mover" with the classical God of Christianity, and if so, how do you logically move from the former to the latter?

Yes. Thomas Aquinas got famous with that approach. Wrote a book on it, "Summa Theologica" which I'm not qualified to explain even if I wanted to. It's a big book. It was and is a basis for religious thought in the Roman Catholic Church and hence for the reformist sects.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Do you equate the alleged "prime mover" with the classical God of Christianity, and if so, how do you logically move from the former to the latter?

Yes. Thomas Aquinas got famous with that approach. Wrote a book on it, "Summa Theologica" which I'm not qualified to explain even if I wanted to. It's a big book. It was and is a basis for religious thought in the Roman Catholic Church and hence for the reformist sects.

I've never found Aquinas's arguments to be convincing. Too many logical fallacies and unsupported assertions.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
as the fates themselves might have it, i've never attended any of the theatrical i mean theological, seminarian, nor divinity schools, but lot's of us should have?

we'd be better off by far? but, here we are, without all of that prior knowledge & beliefs. left here to wing it, and make the most sense of it. and pay taxes.

so many humans are needing and searching for definitive answers. i mean they have good minds, but very little info beyond that? what's a mind to do?

what we're really speaking of is consciousness, is it not? we/our minds are independent, but are downloaded with info that we struggle with.

human consciousness.the great apes might have a taste of it & understand the challenges their human cousins face. what do they think?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've never found Aquinas's arguments to be convincing. Too many logical fallacies and unsupported assertions.

It's a fine example of how 'reason' without evidence and testing of assumptions can go terribly wrong.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the secular humanists, running things on earth. can they do it efficiently, effectively and successfully using testing, measurements, and feed back responses?

i mean, if we choose to leave out a mystical leader, and we do it on our own, can we expect to be successful?

if there's a war between or among groups, and people die, whom should we blame for it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Summa Theologica is difficult partly because of the style of the times and a lot of it presumes you know the underlying philosophy and theology. Underlying principles are not explained, you're supposed to already know that stuff. Works out well if you do your research.

Gus, I went to Le Moyne College, a liberal arts school run by those dreaded Jesuits. smile Core requirements included 15 hours of Philosophy and 6 hours of Theology (theology in a wide scope, nor religion) Being Accounting majors we thought it a drudge. Looking back those were the most valuable courses. First it teaches you to order your thoughts, to think in a rational manner which affects all of your life, whatever you're doing. Secondly it helps you find your place in the cosmos allowing you to live a fulfilling life. So yes, I think students should pursue these courses, hopefully with more enthusiasm than I did.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus
the secular humanists, running things on earth. can they do it efficiently, effectively and successfully using testing, measurements, and feed back responses?

i mean, if we choose to leave out a mystical leader, and we do it on our own, can we expect to be successful?

if there's a war between or among groups, and people die, whom should we blame for it?

Then there is political ideology and the craving for power, wealth and status....

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Gus

Then there is political ideology and the craving for power, wealth and status....

yelp. and the idea of democracy, or individuals setting up their own gov't.

let's set the stage, ok?

we have an urth. it grows so much material/food/fiber each year.

we humans harvest the products produced by the earth.

of course we can fish, mine, timber, farm etc.

we are humans after all, are we not?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Without an absolute, guiding moral ideology, and I don't think secular humanists have that, you're left with the bad of human nature and none of the good. Why did the grand Marxist experiment degenerate into a country run by corrupt oligarchs in a very short time on the scale of human history?

Which explains a lot.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
at this late date in the post-modern era, it's not likely an descendent of ghenkis khan or his kind are very likely to sweep across the great plains of asia into eastern europe, leaving dna samples to and fro.

leadership of humans has managed to kill or main people from one end of the earth to the other. just sayin'.

technology allowed the europeans to conquer north america without a lot of difficulty. yes, plenty were kilt.

now the earth's surface is pretty much full of humans, going about, working, commuting, paying taxes.

was this the final plan? is this the end game? is there more? what would more look like?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Creationists got the bible, written by men long after the actual events, and its prophecies.

Evolutionists got "scientific" tomes, full of assumptions and written by men within parameters that avoid the defects in the methodology.

Creationists got the Shroud of Turin, and relics that could support their version of events.

Evolutionists got fossil foot bones, that somehow enable them to deduce and conclude the bipedal nature, cranial size and facial features of an entire classification of pre-humans.

Creationists got Noah's Ark, explainin the nature and extent of the flora and fauna in existence today.

Evolutionists got the miracle of each and every supposed missing link, in each and every species alleged to have evolved, being extinct, and with no fossil record.

Creationists have the faith that their version of events is correct.

Evolutionists have the faith that their version is correct.

No difference tween the two.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Creationists got the bible, written by men long after the actual events, and its prophecies.

Evolutionists got "scientific" tomes, full of assumptions and written by men within parameters that avoid the defects in the methodology.

Creationists got the Shroud of Turin, and relics that could support their version of events.

Evolutionists got fossil foot bones, that somehow enable them to deduce and conclude the bipedal nature, cranial size and facial features of an entire classification of pre-humans.

Creationists got Noah's Ark, explainin the nature and extent of the flora and fauna in existence today.

Evolutionists got the miracle of each and every supposed missing link, in each and every species alleged to have evolved, being extinct, and with no fossil record.

Creationists have the faith that their version of events is correct.

Evolutionists have the faith that their version is correct.

No difference tween the two.

well, yeah. true enough.

the rest of us, living in this culture,

has the opportunity to go to work,

commute, pay taxes, buy a home.

all good. we're here. that's enought.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Phuque it all!

Fück Joe byron
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Phuque it all!

Best post yet, no schit.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Without an absolute, guiding moral ideology, and I don't think secular humanists have that, you're left with the bad of human nature and none of the good. Why did the grand Marxist experiment degenerate into a country run by corrupt oligarchs in a very short time on the scale of human history?

You don't think secular humans have guiding morals? There are many theories on the origin of morals, and religion is only one of them.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Fubarski
If you don't understand that "micro" and "macro" evolution are the completely different, you've no business engaging in a discussion of evolution.

Micro evolution is the e.coli examples you've cited, with variations developing within a species in response to environment or random chance.

But the species remains e. coli, no matter how long it's been in existence.

Macro evolution is the development of a new species through changes to an earlier species, an alleged example bein ape to man.

Most people of your opinion classify the division in equidae into its three surviving member species (horse, donkey, and zebra) as an example of micro evolution. Do you consider this an example of micro evolution, i.e., the sort of evolution that you accept?

Just a slight correction on your taxonomy.
Equidae is a Family

Horse, Zebra, and Donkey are Genus

Zebra has three separate species, while the Mountain Zebra has two subspecies

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 21 of 117 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.