Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 117 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 116 117
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Consider how the continent of Australia separated from Pangea before the rise of Mammalia, and marsupials became the dominant animals of Australia, while they were displaced by mammals everywhere else.

Marsupials are also mammals. They appeared before the emergence of placental mammals, which is why there are no placental mammals native to Australia.

Also, you know that Opossums are marsupials, right?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Fubarski
If you don't understand that "micro" and "macro" evolution are the completely different, you've no business engaging in a discussion of evolution.

This statement begins with a false predicate and ends with a conclusion based on that falsehood.

Micro evolution is the e.coli examples you've cited, with variations developing within a species in response to environment or random chance.

But the species remains e. coli, no matter how long it's been in existence.

This statement is also false.

Macro evolution is the development of a new species through changes to an earlier species, an alleged example bein ape to man.

A conclusion base on false statements.

The question that arises in the face of the above is this: Do you make the false statements to decieve or do you make them out of ignorance?

E. coli is a single cell organism and as such it cannot even be considered for "macro evolution" as you postulate. E. Coli will always reproduce by cell division and not by sexual reproduction. E. Coli that is different genetically from previous E. Coli must lose the gene distinction(s) acquired by whatever means before it can revert to being the same E. coli it was before the change. It is by definition evolved, whether it expresses the acquired genetic differences or not. Species difference definition that demands only that two different species be unable to reproduce sexually is a false predicate. Bacteria commonly evolve by sharing genes and plasmids with other oft times wholly unrelated species evolve no matter how many false assumptions you base incorrect conclusions upon. Viruses do the same thing, and they are basically DNA inside a protein shell and do not fit much of what we would define as life. Unequivocally however viruses do change and do so in a manner which mimics at the least evolution.

Micro vs macro evolution is a false dichotomy as demonstrated above and can only have one of two bases, deception by intent or ignorance. In either case, there is no point in engaging in discussion with a person engaged in that activity until and unless said person admits one or the other basis.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Consider how the continent of Australia separated from Pangea before the rise of Mammalia, and marsupials became the dominant animals of Australia, while they were displaced by mammals everywhere else.

Marsupials are also mammals. They appeared before the emergence of placental mammals, which is why there are no placental mammals native to Australia.

Also, you know that Opossums are marsupials, right?

Every possum I see gets the 17hmr treatment. Gross ugly animals that steal cat food.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Most people of your opinion classify the division in equidae into its three surviving member species (horse, donkey, and zebra) as an example of micro evolution. Do you consider this an example of micro evolution, i.e., the sort of evolution that you accept?

Just a slight correction on your taxonomy.
Equidae is a Family

Horse, Zebra, and Donkey are Genus

I know this. If you accept it's a family, that means you accept they are related. Related means they have a common ancestor. So is this because you believe their subdivision to be an example of the sort of evolution you accept, i.e., micro evolution?

Arguing with the wrong guy here. Of course they descended from a common ancestor.

Yes I used my nomenclature wrongly. I should have stated marsupials were displaced by "higher" mammals throughout the rest of the world as the dominant species with exception of Australia.

Once again, just because many species of marsupials died off as their brethren changed into and were displaced by "higher mammals" goes not mean the entire group went extinct.

Just as monkeys and apes are not extinct just because some members of the group branched off and became many species of humanoid.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
What is it that makes something a 'Universal Truth?' A description with an example may help.
In argument an a priori assumption. A principle which is held to be true without proof. A oft used example is, "The killing of an innocent person is always wrong." Another is the assumption of existence, why the , "This is all a computer simulation" argument is always fun. Can't prove existence or non-existence.

The point is without these assumptions you cant get anywhere - can go anywhere actually - because you can prove (in the philosophical sense) nothing without establishing a starting point..

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses
in return for protection to his own".

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17, 1814

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them;
and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Adrian Van der Kemp, 30 July, 1816

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that
of blindfolded fear."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

"Priests...dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions
of the duperies on which they live.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Correa de Serra, April 11, 1820

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned;
yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity".

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

“Inviting slaves to dinner is what makes this new country so great”

-Thomas Jefferson personal analogies 1781

“When I contemplate the effects of a dirty house, I flog my wife”

-Thomas Jefferson 1783

It is amazing what you can find without citing a source...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good morning. Have any new Revelations evolved from this discussion? laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by DBT
What is it that makes something a 'Universal Truth?' A description with an example may help.
In argument an a priori assumption. A principle which is held to be true without proof. A oft used example is, "The killing of an innocent person is always wrong." Another is the assumption of existence, why the , "This is all a computer simulation" argument is always fun. Can't prove existence or non-existence.

The point is without these assumptions you cant get anywhere - can go anywhere actually - because you can prove (in the philosophical sense) nothing without establishing a starting point..

Can you demonstrate that Universal Truth's even exist? Neither of your examples help you much. The first would include a prohibition on ending unbearable suffering, and according to classic Christianity, no one is innocent because everyone is tainted with original sin, so it's no prohibition at all. Even God violated this with the alleged flood, and I've if not in this thread, recently I've also mentioned the example of the slaughter of the Midionites, where Moses was displeased because the conquering Jews didn't murder all the children.

As for "the assumption of existence", in the words of Descartes, I think, there for I am. It's not an assumption. But the fact of existence in no way disputes a position of moral relativism so I doubt that's what you are really talking about when you reference a "Universal Truth".

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/28/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Oops, I spoke too soon. TJ is bad.... Carry-on.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Starman
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses
in return for protection to his own".

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17, 1814

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them;
and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Adrian Van der Kemp, 30 July, 1816

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that
of blindfolded fear."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

"Priests...dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions
of the duperies on which they live.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Correa de Serra, April 11, 1820

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned;
yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity".

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

“Inviting slaves to dinner is what makes this new country so great”

-Thomas Jefferson personal analogies 1781

“When I contemplate the effects of a dirty house, I flog my wife”

-Thomas Jefferson 1783

It is amazing what you can find without citing a source...

Except, Starman did cite sources......

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Every possum I see gets the 17hmr treatment. Gross ugly animals that steal cat food.

Certainly a capital offense that is. Some people really should remain in city apartments and not stray off the pavement. Even then, they get scared.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MILES58
This statement begins with a false predicate and ends with a conclusion based on that falsehood.

This statement is also false.

A conclusion base on false statements.

The question that arises in the face of the above is this: Do you make the false statements to decieve or do you make them out of ignorance?

In either case, there is no point in engaging in discussion with a person engaged in that activity until and unless said person admits one or the other basis.

The faith is strong in this one.

But don't argue with *me*, twas scientists that coined the definitions.

You know, scientists, the people your faith depends on to put forth theories based upon observations that cannot be proven?

And usin your example, twas it e. coli that morphed inta viruses, or the other way around? Or neither? Or both?

Each possibility is equally possible, it hasn't be proven, but many people believe some version of the above to be true.

It appears evolutians share some traits in their faith with the muslim faith: The requirement that everyone else convert to their faith.

Hope they don't get radicalized.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Fub, scientists have proven evolution over and over and over again. That you don't want to accept that is the same as denying 2+2=4, but continue on. It's quite entertaining. Do you vote? I hope not.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Require everyone else to convert? Not at all.

Just offering the water. It is up to each individual if they wish to partake of the knowledge, or remain ignorant.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
What is it about the terms macro- and microevolution that sets off the evolutestants?

Is it like throwin bacon at a muslim?

Seems it scares the crap outta em, cause they got no answer for it, so then it's been evolved by them (LOL) into a term that's considered offensive.

Next, it'll be racism throwed at those evoluticaust deniers.

Whoops, that's already happened, in this very thread.

I'm willing to engage in halal discussion, to avoid offending delicate sensibilities, if it'll prevent an evolutbyterian from radicalizing and strappin on a suicide vest.

Leroy, keep up the good work helpin the evolutists. They need good people like you behind em.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
never met an evolutestant, whatever that is, but I doubt they find macro and micro anything scary. In fact, they are very simple terms. You might learn a bit about them sometimes.

And calm down. You obviously have gotten all worked up about this evolution stuff, which is really quite simple and not scary at all. Might be a bit over your head, of course, but then the 2+2 thing was pretty scary for you too.

Now, back to my BLT for lunch.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
What is it about the terms macro- and microevolution that sets off the evolutestants?

The only thing offensive about those terms is that the people using them refuse to acknowledge they are synonymous.

Little changes are cumulative over time to create big changes.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

It appears evolutians share some traits in their faith with the muslim faith: The requirement that everyone else convert to their faith.

Fub, no one demands that everyone convert to their faith quite like the Christians. Nowhere else is there the level of missionary zealotry that Christiandom has. Not to mention all the rest, but carry on with your fantasy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Fub, no one demands that everyone convert to their faith quite like the Christians. Nowhere else is there the level of missionary zealotry that Christiandom has. Not to mention all the rest, but carry on with your fantasy.

If that were true, I'd be the only one postin in this thread.

And I'm not even tryin ta convert anybody.

You hadn't posted in the thread before, IIRC.

Are you a seventh-day evolutian?

Page 23 of 117 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.