Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That tailgate is not a buying feature for me .

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of trick tailgates, can it do this?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Seems the truck review guys are just as adept at reviewing and critiquing trucks they've never seen or used as the guys are that critique the 6.5Cm without having ever used one. This place never ceases to amaze. Time will tell is all I will say.

I've replaced latches, handle assemblies, and swapped lock cylinders on my own tailgates, and there just is not much room to work. Add in the folded in insert, the motor assembly. the reciever and relays needed to actuated the motor, and the control board for the pushbutton functions, you'd need a trained [bleep] to get inside to repair it. And given that it is motorized, I would bet it is also counterbalanced inside (spring assembly) . That's not going to leave much room at all inside. This means an expensive item, and a complicated repair. Shop would swap the whole piece, even if the parts are available for the DIY'er who doesn't mind the time, effort, and loss of blood. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why on earth is a form of monkey getting bleeped?

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kellory
Seems the truck review guys are just as adept at reviewing and critiquing trucks they've never seen or used as the guys are that critique the 6.5Cm without having ever used one. This place never ceases to amaze. Time will tell is all I will say.

I've replaced latches, handle assemblies, and swapped lock cylinders on my own tailgates, and there just is not much room to work. Add in the folded in insert, the motor assembly. the reciever and relays needed to actuated the motor, and the control board for the pushbutton functions, you'd need a trained [bleep] to get inside to repair it. And given that it is motorized, I would bet it is also counterbalanced inside (spring assembly) . That's not going to leave much room at all inside. This means an expensive item, and a complicated repair. Shop would swap the whole piece, even if the parts are available for the DIY'er who doesn't mind the time, effort, and loss of blood. wink

Didn't know they made a motorized one. Mine is not, just the push button latch, that I wish were a latch.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Didn't know they made a motorized one. Mine is not, just the push button latch, that I wish were a latch.

In the video, he hit the remote, and the tailgate drops on it's own. That requires springs or a motor, and since it doesn't slam down, it's either counter balanced, and/or motor driven.
Edit: the weight of a normal tailgate is 90-100lbs. Something has to make it move and control the movement. (Though that could be just springs and air shocks.)

Last edited by kellory; 07/28/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On my Ford King Ranch Edition F-150, you can drop the tailgate by pushing a button on the remote.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
wtf: This is NOT a gimmick!
My close Varminting friend and gun running buddy use his new fangled tailgate ALL THE TIME!
And we like it.
We took it to the gunshow and street fair in Wisdom, Montana yesterday where we used it a couple of times and each time we used it several interested parties (both men and women!) would ask for a re-showing of its function and strength.
I and 6'3' and 260 pounds and I have a brand new artificial knee - it is a godsend for me/us when my friend and I head out in his newish rig.
And for those that use the little green plastic stools from Home Depot - ever see one of those cause someone to slip off and topple down - I have several times including myself once from my trucks tailgate.
I say go down to the GMC dealership and give one a try - they are VERY stable and I think safe.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
On my Ford King Ranch Edition F-150, you can drop the tailgate by pushing a button on the remote.

I install and service stuff like this on buildings and gate operators, not trucks. I'd like to see what method they are using. Think I might search out a few service/repair videos on these tailgates, see what I can find.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dude at the trailer supply shop told us a story the other day. Seems his bud had got a new Platinum F250, like a palace on wheels, Ford’s highest trim level I believe. He tacoed his tailgate with his gooseneck as happens pretty frequently in cattle country. Took it to the stealership to get them to replace it. Platinum trim models have a slightly different gate that has a recess for a piece of trim. They reused his fold down step, plastic trim on the top of the gate, backup camera, and most all small parts, just put them in the color matched stripped gate they ordered. $4700 worth for a new tailgate! Thinking I’d have made a Res Rocket out of it with a 2x12 across the back.

I’m betting this GM contraption won’t be much if any cheaper when you tweak one and need a replacement.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pretty sure the Denali tailgate works off of electro magnets.

And yeah, they aren't cheap.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

In the video, he hit the remote, and the tailgate drops on it's own. That requires springs or a motor, and since it doesn't slam down, it's either counter balanced, and/or motor driven.
Edit: the weight of a normal tailgate is 90-100lbs. Something has to make it move and control the movement. (Though that could be just springs and air shocks.)[/quote]

I don't think mine is motorized. The Silverado LTZ I had did not have a remote switch, but you could unlatch it and let it go, and it would go down slowly all by itself, like it had shocks, even though it didn't. No motor.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Edit: the weight of a normal tailgate is 90-100lbs. Something has to make it move and control the movement. (Though that could be just springs and air shocks.)

I don't think mine is motorized. The Silverado LTZ I had did not have a remote switch, but you could unlatch it and let it go, and it would go down slowly all by itself, like it had shocks, even though it didn't. No motor.
[/quote]
Here is a bit more detail about that tailgate. Haven't found any exploded diagrams or service info yet.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gmc/...tures/2019-gmc-sierra-multipro-tailgate/

My boss has one of those soft drop tailgates on his GMC pickup. (Iirc) it has springs or air shocks at the lower pivot, like what raises a hatchback. I haven't yet seen them, but he did go on and on about how easy it moved when he bought it. Literature I've read so far says it is "dampened."

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a damper kit install on a ford f150. It is a small shock hidden behind the taillight.

https://youtu.be/vvXFu1Eplyg

Edit: everything I'm reading/seeing shows a lifting mechanism on the driver's side,(counter balance) consisting of a charged strut , and a shock on the passenger side. The reviews on the lift assist struts is almost universally bad. (Aftermarket versions are breaking, stripping, and ripping out very quickly. ).

Last edited by kellory; 07/28/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
JFC. Ford has been doing this since 2011. When was the last time you guys bought a new truck?

I've got one for my 2016 F250 but I've removed it to put on a Caravan topper.

My poor googlefu won't allow me to post pics but even the new AL body trucks have them. Gooberment Motors. A day late and a dollar short.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In a year or two, there will be ads on craigslist, people who have this super duper GM truck with tailgate, looking for an older model simple old style tail gate that will fit their new truck, sick of replacing motors etc.

I have driven pickups since 1986. This tail gate is the solution for a problem that didn't exist.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think something like this and a topper or shell and you don't need a $4000 tailgate and you don't need to climb up into the bed. My knees and back won't allow that anyway.

https://www.bedslide.com/series-2-bedslide-1000-classic.html#!year%3D2017%7C%7Cmake%3DFORD%7C%7Cmodel%3DF250%20SUPERDUTY

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner
It’s the way trucks have gone for the last couple decades. Heated leather seats and 15sq ft sun roofs.

Old guys love all the do-dads.

Yep! And I'm one of 'em... Even have COOLED seats, front AND back, along with the panoramic sun roof!! Yowza! laugh laugh

Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
The solution is to remove your hitch insert when you aren’t using it. That also happens to be the law in many states.
Really? Didn't know that, although I rarely leave a hitch in the receiver for some a-hole to steal.. smile

Originally Posted by Hubert
I hate those commercials where everyone is standing around with their mouth gaping open like a chicken during the hot weather..
Especially since they play that ad about 10 times/hour... Geez - let it rest a bit..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
GM will have to do a lot more than that to get me to buy one of their pickups.

I still wouldn't.

grin

Same here.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can get a retractable bed step for any truck for less than $300 not counting labor to mount. I've been using them for years. Here's one from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amp-Research-BedStep-Truck-Bed-Step-Fits-2015-2019-Ford-F150-/201649341134?fits=Model%3AF-15

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1minute, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,125
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.