Campfire Ranger

Last edited by Steve; 07/28/19.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I really hope statehood is never happening.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Epitome of a modern day "chit hole country."

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We could try selling it to pay for the wall....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've spent quite a bit of time there, especially the last few years, and am unimpressed. Even with all the benefits of being part of the US (but not paying Federal taxes), you'd think it would be kept up better. Trash everywhere even in touristy areas. Graffiti. Feral dogs lurking everywhere.

Iron bars on the windows of most houses (cant imagine the reason for that). Roads in disrepair.

For every airline flight going and coming, there is a raft of overweight people on wheelchairs - several times the number one is accustomed to seeing on domestic flights in the US. Lots of obesity in the general population.

And IMO there is an entitlement mentality, the Free S*it army is in full force. There is an entitled class, that a person is born into, like the rest of Latin America (a bit different from the US, where the penniless can become part of the elite)

There is a well established professional class, but a large percentage of them have left (helped along by hurricane Maria) and are part of the Puerto Rican diaspora in the US mainland.

Bias against gringos in the street, especially if you don't speak Spanish (but appreciation if you try). A gringo would get readily overcharged for things, or given the wrong directions. Interestingly the petty criminals tend to leave gringos alone for the most part, apparently to avoid the wrath of khan (Uncle Sam).

Crowded: people just everywhere, if it were a state, I believe it would be ranked #3 in terms of population density. The population density on the north side of the island has got to rival the most densely populated parts of the world. So many people its claustrophobic.

Lots of corruption. And strict laws against guns, worse than New York. Of course the crooks have guns and some neighborhoods (example in Bayamon) are pock marked with bullet holes.

In short, its well below mainland standards.

The music's good though. As is the rum and mountain grown coffee. And the sunsets can be spectacular. There is also a very real sense of community, and love of country (Puerto Rico, that is)

But not on the top of my list. I was there last month for a few days and was very ready to leave. I've felt more comfortable in lots of other countries.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cut them loose and be done with it. I have been there once in 1968 it was nice then again in the 1979-80 period to fly for a bit, I didn't stay long it was not the same place as it was in '68. Get rid of them but we will not. Send a General as military governor and put it under lockdown and clean up the mess. There is a whole lot of people that need to go to jail and not just in P.R. but in DC as well.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.