Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 117 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 116 117
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's not that a cyclic universe runs out of energy, but that gravity overcomes expansion. Other models include Heat Death, the Big Rip where dark energy is so strong as to tear apart matter. Then the various Multiverse models....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone ever read/watched "Inherit the Wind"?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Anyone ever read/watched "Inherit the Wind"?

Yes. It's a caricature with no bearing on the current debate except to reinforce a convenient stereotype.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Tarquin
You're just regurgitating what you read on The Institution For Creation Research website. You've been duped.

And once again you fail to respond on the merits---invoking fallacies rather than real arguments. I accept your concession. grin

If there were any merits, I'd respond to them.

I googled Gould and Fossil record. Here's the title of the first article to come up:

The Quote Mine Project
Or, Lies, Damned Lies and Quote Mines
Gould, Eldredge and Punctuated Equilibria Quotes

You Googled it? You let Google's algorithims do your thinking for you? Good luck with that one!

Tarquin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
A.S. You seem to have done a lot of thinking on this issue and I am interested to know your thoughts. In a nutshell How did all this huge universe with an unfathomable amount of solid material come to be? I understand there is a big bang theory, but doesn't that require a compression of all this material into a critical mass that then explodes and creates an expanding universe of a huge,huge, unthinkable amount of material? A speck of which is earth that happened to be hospitable to the formation of chemical reactions that became life? Where did that material originate?
How's your math?........
I thank you for your effort but I'm a high school graduate only and almost 67 years old. I'm pretty good at arithmetic and real good at reading comprehension. This discussion and your answer are so far over my head I guess I'll do like my wife does about politics and just forget about it. But anyway thanks again and sorry for putting you to the trouble. Best thing for me to do is to go back to arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic that our country has become.
Hastings, Let me apologize for the complexity of my answer. Since you feel you are better with words than numbers, lets try to stick to mostly words and skip the numbers. Imagine you need to build a house, but have a personal net worth of exactly zero (We begin with nothing). Now we're going to assume a special idealized world for this example, one where every dollar spent on building the house creates exactly one dollars worth of value in the finished product, so in the process, not value can be created, nor destroyed. (This represent the conservation of energy). By building the house you create an asset (matter)You can borrow exactly what you need from a bank, but this creates a liability (negative gravitational energy)You build a new house worth 200k, and in the process take out a loan for exactly 200k. At the end of the process, you have a new house (Matter in the Universe), but an equal amount of debt (negative gravitational energy), so your net worth remains exactly zero (Net energy level of the entire local presentation of our universe). You have created an asset out of nothing. All of your friends marvel at your new wonderful house, but are unable to see or even comprehend the nature of your bank note, so they idolize you as the amazing man who created a house out of nothing.
Ok, I'm going to study your answer tomorrow when I'm not drifting off. So thanks again for humoring me. Another Question, do you think our expanding universe runs out of energy and collapses back into a super compressed entity that explodes again in a big bang. Have these compression events and bangs been happening forever. I understand we are talking eons.

Hastings,

That's a great question, one I contemplated for many years before I found an answer that seemed to meet it's burden of proof to me.

For background, let's recall what happens when too much matter comes into to close of proximity. Gravity binds it together, and given enough mass close enough you get a black hole with a density sufficient to bend the fabric of space time itself.

The same principle also applies at much lower densities. The density of matter affects the "curvature" of the local presentation of our Universe.

A universe with a high matter density is said to be "closed". The density of the matter is such that the universe would eventually collapse back onto it's self into a new singularity. Now there's no guarantee the new singularity would be of the same nature as the one at the time of the Big Bang, so instead of a series of Big Bangs, it's possible such a universe would end as a single Black Hole containing all the matter of the universe.

The opposite condition is a universe with a low matter density, or one that's said to be "open". Even without dark matter, an open universe expands for ever, with the acceleration reaching a point where it over comes the forces of the gravitational, electromagnetic and strong binding forces, ripping apart the very fabric of space time itself.

The third possibility is a "flat" universe. In a flat universe, in the absence of dark matter, it expands for ever, but at a decreasing rate, until the rate of expansion eventually approximates (but never reaches) zero.

The empirical measurements indicate we live in a "flat universe", and are within the margin of error. Additionally, it's my understanding, a "Universe from nothing" as described above could only result in flat geometry.

Of course there's a twist. Dark Matter is real and it's accelerating the expansion of our universe. In this scenario, stars are expected to form normally for one to a hundred trillion years, but eventually the supply of gas needed for star formation will be exhausted. As existing stars run out of fuel and cease to shine, the universe will slowly and inexorably grow darker. Eventually black holes will dominate the universe, which themselves will disappear over time as they emit Hawking radiation.

I've hypothesized this state of the "heat death" of the universe could reach the condition we called "nothing", one where the laws of quantum mechanics once again takes over and the "nothing" once again becomes unstable and........BANG.........But this last part is just my speculation......

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/29/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You're just regurgitating what you read on The Institution For Creation Research website. You've been duped.

And once again you fail to respond on the merits---invoking fallacies rather than real arguments. I accept your concession. grin

If there were any merits, I'd respond to them.

I googled Gould and Fossil record. Here's the title of the first article to come up:

The Quote Mine Project
Or, Lies, Damned Lies and Quote Mines
Gould, Eldredge and Punctuated Equilibria Quotes

You Googled it? You let Google's algorithms do your thinking for you? Good luck with that one!

Not at all.

I know YEC's such as yourself like to quote mine Gould, and since you didn't quote a source I went looking. In this case, the google results speak for themselves.

If you don't believe me, feel free to read the above paper for yourself.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Young earth creationism in this day and age, incredible.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Google! OMG, what's next, Wiki?

OK, here it is, for the unlearned. It fits right in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_antisemitism

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT

As convinced as you are, the Ph.D young earth creationist feel your position is incredible; and they don't use blind faith for evidence like you do. They actually do field and lab work.

Again I asked for any Ph.D level creationist who became an evolutionist after achieving that level and I will post a list of Ph.D evolutionists who became creationists after they achieved that level.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT

As convinced as you are, the Ph.D young earth creationist feel your position is incredible; and they don't use blind faith for evidence like you do. They actually do field and lab work.

Again I asked for any Ph.D level creationist who became an evolutionist after achieving that level and I will post a list of Ph.D evolutionists who became creationists after they achieved that level.

I think you have it backwards.....all the evidence, geological, fossil, cosmological supports the current estimates for the age of the universe and our solar system.

It is not faith to base the estimates on evidence. Faith is to ignore the evidence and believe the opposite, to believe what it says in the bible.

Young earth creationists represent a tiny minority of scientists who work in these fields. Rather than being evidence based, their belief is a matter of faith, faith in the bible.

It doesn't matter what young earth creationists happen to believe, all the evidence is stacked against them.

Last edited by DBT; 07/29/19.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know what the science points to and frankly neither can science.
I have a faith in God and really love biology.
Science however conflicts with itself over quantum physics. It is more scary to hard core science than the bible. Time and space becomes unknowable.
A humans understanding of it is to simple.
Our God is a smart guy and faith is faith because some of the answers are not doable for humans.
It would take a greater leap of faith for me to believe solid matter came from nothingness.
The mystery of our faith in God is far more believable, imo

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by comerade
Science however conflicts with itself over quantum physics. It is more scary to hard core science than the bible. Time and space becomes unknowable.
Our God is a smart guy and faith is faith because some of the answers are not doable for humans.
It would take a greater leap of faith for me to believe solid matter came from nothingness.

What you presented is knows as an argument from "personal incredulity". This is a subset of the "argument from ignorance".

Both are logical fallacies.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by comerade

What you presented is knows as an argument from "personal incredulity". This is a subset of the "argument from ignorance".

Both are logical fallacies.

It would take a greater leap of faith for me to believe God came from nothingness.
Young earth creationist do not want to talk about that...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
So it’s easier to believe that life came from a huge ball of fire? Both versions hold some truths I think. I am not a man of great faith but life suddenly coming from nowhere but molten lava is a little hard to swallow. Ed k

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ERK
So it’s easier to believe that life came from a huge ball of fire? Both versions hold some truths I think. I am not a man of great faith but life suddenly coming from nowhere but molten lava is a little hard to swallow. Ed k

Who asserts it came from fire, suddenly or otherwise??

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ERK

Who is claiming that life suddenly came from nowhere....yet alone from molten lava?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
And how come god is a (good) guy?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Scientists claim the earth was a molten ball of lava.then it cooled and life began. Maybe so maybe not. That’s what they taught me in school. Ed k

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ERK
Scientists claim the earth was a molten ball of lava.then it cooled and life began. Maybe so maybe not. That’s what they taught me in school. Ed k

When was this schooling and what level was the education? We've drifted from evolution to a whole 'nother topic though. I'd be more curious when folks learned about evolution and genetics generally....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 27 of 117 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.