Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 63 of 87 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 86 87
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Only 6.2 miles and a 1,300+ ft gain, but it was on pretty steep terrain, with a couple of sketchy spots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Was a good hike! Got the heart pumping and the legs working!

Guy

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
6 mile out&back with my wife and Tiny E, pretty steep (1800' of gain); plan was to harvest a couple of gallons of huckleberries, must have been a late frost as there were acres (and acres) of huckleberry bushes and no berries, we found a couple of handfuls lower and just ate them- turns out Tiny E likes hucks smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mtwarden; 07/27/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I figure ours here in the Valley are about two weeks out yet.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
folks were finding them (Eureka area in general), but definitely not going to be finding any where we were (maybe next year?); last year I ran a big loop through there and there were green berries on almost every bush (probably 2-3 weeks early), really thought I was going to hit the motherlode this year smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huckleberries are on here, in ID, now. Picked some a couple weeks ago at about 4000 feet and they were just coming on good. Picking was spotty though.

Hiking in the Bitteroots (MT side) last weekend, there were spots that were loaded with ripe berries and other areas were there were none. Can't help but stop and eat a few when your hiking.

Last edited by Lonny; 07/28/19.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Seeing any bears near the ripe berries?

Good ride this morning. 30 miles in 1:52, which is pretty danged good for this ol' guy. Only gained 1,000' so it wasn't a real hilly course.

Felt good though. smile

Guy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
bears love them (black and grizzlies); I've had to abandon picking a couple of times because of a grizzly close by- they need them worse than me smile

4 miles on the trails with Tiny E, was only the mid 70's, but with the sun out felt hotter- I'm just a pussy in the heat (Tiny Elvis too)!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Picked a few today for about an hour maybe have three pounds.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
good deal- I think my wife may be going to the Flathead to visit relatives, sounds like they've gotten into some good berry picking (I'm headed into the Bob :))

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife and I picked a gallon today and the hucks are on heavy now. The extra moisture this year really kicked them into gear. Bear sign all over and I can't blame them.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cyn is several days in on her quest. Barring physical issues she expects to be hiking 4-5 weeks. Still hoping to join up. She had cell briefly and let me know her ankle is swelling but not particularly hurting.

I bought her an InReach mini and man, that is a cool gadget. She checks in every evening with a preset message (or she could text, but those cost extra) which I was expecting, but accompanying the message is a map with a pin drop showing her location. And, of course, it has the panic button... pretty slick. If your wife is contemplating running around the mountains alone for a month I highly recommend buying her one, haha.

All I've been doing is working, totally swamped, everything is a rush job, no end in sight. Haven't had a day off since I went ocean fishing a couple weeks ago. Totally beat down. The HELL did I get myself into. Banking fat stax but no time to spend it. Must.... find.... balance.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Cyn is several days in on her quest. Barring physical issues she expects to be hiking 4-5 weeks. Still hoping to join up. She had cell briefly and let me know her ankle is swelling but not particularly hurting.

I bought her an InReach mini and man, that is a cool gadget. She checks in every evening with a preset message (or she could text, but those cost extra) which I was expecting, but accompanying the message is a map with a pin drop showing her location. And, of course, it has the panic button... pretty slick. If your wife is contemplating running around the mountains alone for a month I highly recommend buying her one, haha.

All I've been doing is working, totally swamped, everything is a rush job, no end in sight. Haven't had a day off since I went ocean fishing a couple weeks ago. Totally beat down. The HELL did I get myself into. Banking fat stax but no time to spend it. Must.... find.... balance.

Keep trying bud. The real world is out there for the taking. Proud of you.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did a Friday-Sunday trip up to the hunting spot. Good shakedown trip, I need a thicker sleeping pad.

Either that, or I'm getting too old for this sh**.........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
what pad are using now?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I nurmally use a z-rest with an early version Neoair on top but I dug out an old Pro-lite for this trip. Not enough thickness. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer, thicker Neoair.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
once I (wife too) went to the NeoAirs (2.5” thick) we’ve used nothing else; I ditched our original NeoAirs once they came out with the Xtherms- originally purchased for “winter”, but as they were only a couple of ounces more- no sense having two sets of pads

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use a Big Agnes something or the other that is amazing. Transformative. At least trying pads out at REI, I found it noticeably better than the neoair. I'll try to remember to check which one it is exactly when I get home. Cushy. Hell's Canyon was the first long trip I used it on and I slept great, which is saying something, because sleeping on the ground has been no fun in recent years.

Truckin' home now with an 800-lb pallet of Life-B-Gone (work) and was informed there's even more coming my way than I'd known. I need to hire a helper.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Big Agnes Q-Core SLX. If I'm remembering the NeoAir correctly, it's baffles run sideways while the BA's run lengthwise. That helps me with staying on the thing. But, it also just felt cushier in REI. I got the ginormous size, too. We were worried it wouldn't fit in the new Zpacks Duplex tent but it did, barely.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
@Jeff I have an inReach Mini- being able to communicate in the backcountry is a game changer- "I have an elk down, meet at the Tizer trailhead"; "we're having to bail, pick me up at...."; "made to camp, everything is OK"; etc. they can even text you back, pretty sweet

strength train

squats 5/5/5 @ 75% 1RM
bench 5/5/5 @ 75% 1RM
pull-ups 3x10
dips 3x30
core

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mtwarden
@Jeff I have an inReach Mini- being able to communicate in the backcountry is a game changer- "I have an elk down, meet at the Tizer trailhead"; "we're having to bail, pick me up at...."; "made to camp, everything is OK"; etc. they can even text you back, pretty sweet

strength train

squats 5/5/5 @ 75% 1RM
bench 5/5/5 @ 75% 1RM
pull-ups 3x10
dips 3x30
core

InReach is the way to go for sure!

Page 63 of 87 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 86 87

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,740
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.