Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've a preference for revolvers and my first CF bullet launcher was a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Started my adventure with reloading with that gun. It was stupid accurate. Have no use whatsoever for DAO handguns, autos or revolvers.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Load one, skip one, load four...read that once and never forgot. I always look at the cylinder to verify that the hammer is resting on the empty chamber.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Load one, skip one, load four...read that once and never forgot. I always look at the cylinder to verify that the hammer is resting on the empty chamber.

That's right!

My Colt's the same way.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Than fully cock hammer and ease it down on an empty hole.

IC B2

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

Than fully cock hammer and ease it down on an empty hole.

This is what I forgot when I was trying to show a friend how to load his old 3-screw Single Six last week.
Figured it out on the second try.
That little revolver was stupid accurate and fun to shoot!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My 3 screws will never be converted

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That is an accepted loading for guys that like gimmicks, but if you shoot reloads it is best to load 5 and turn the cylinder a full revolution to make sure that a high primer won’t stop your cylinder from turning when you cock the revolver. Visual inspection of the hammer down in an empty cylinder trumps all the loading gimmicks for maintaining function and safety...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel

That is an accepted loading for guys that like gimmicks, but if you shoot reloads it is best to load 5 and turn the cylinder a full revolution to make sure that a high primer won’t stop your cylinder from turning when you cock the revolver. Visual inspection of the hammer down in an empty cylinder trumps all the loading gimmicks for maintaining function and safety...

Guys that like gimmicks?

That's funny.

After shooting competition for years, and loading all my ammo personally, and shooting well over a 1000 rounds per week in practice and matches, it never failed me. Nor did I have a high primer cause an issue.

On the high primer thing, I HAVE seen two Henry type rifles set rounds off in the magazine when amateurs were directing dropping rounds on top of the others, until they found the one that had the high primer. That was always entertaining. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Guys that like gimmicks?

That's funny.

After shooting competition for years, and loading all my ammo personally, and shooting well over a 1000 rounds per week in practice and matches, it never failed me. Nor did I have a high primer cause an issue.

On the high primer thing, I HAVE seen two Henry type rifles set rounds off in the magazine when amateurs were directing dropping rounds on top of the others, until they found the one that had the high primer. That was always entertaining. smile

Of course, a seasoned veteran as yourself never makes a mistake, but I have competed in hundreds of cowboy action matches and many times seen the high primer stop the shooter that loaded with a skip one technique...

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had two handguns by 6th grade. Both 3 screws.
Never had a prob w load 1 skip load 4.
But then I had a Remington w a walker trigger too.
No probs.

Charmed childhood I guess.

I don't load on a progressive so that might help w that high primer thing. I dunno.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/30/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I taught Hunter Ed for 16 years, primarily the Rifle and handgun portions of the class. When it came to the single actions I demonstrated The Colt SA and the old and new models of the Ruger Blackhawks. Using dummy rounds during range day I had both style Rugers and showed using a primed case what would happen if the gun was dropped or something fell and hit the hammer. FWIW, I thought that guy should had demonstrated that as well as how to load the gun. Most of the time I load my new model Rugers as if they were old models, the difference being I'm at the range and not out in the field and most of the time these days it's the new model that goes on a hike.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger made a fine revolver then went and lawyered it all up and ruined it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Guys that like gimmicks?

That's funny.

Of course, a seasoned veteran as yourself never makes a mistake, but I have competed in hundreds of cowboy action matches and many times seen the high primer stop the shooter that loaded with a skip one technique...

LOL.

Got enough experience to know that high primers are not a loading method issue, but rather a reloading error issue. smile

Yeah, there's quite a few in CAS that are pretty inexperienced and make some awful mistakes. Thank God CAS deals with relatively low pressures, and simplistic weapons. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Load 6.

Fire one.

Rotate until you think its on an empty.

Cock and fire to check.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Load 6.

Fire one.

Rotate until you think its on an empty.

Cock and fire to check.

laugh

Ah. The old cap and ball method... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That's right!

My Colt's the same way.

Yep. The method I’ve always used on my Rugers and Colts.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Guys that like gimmicks?

That's funny.

LOL.

Got enough experience to know that high primers are not a loading method issue, but rather a reloading error issue. smile

Yeah, there's quite a few in CAS that are pretty inexperienced and make some awful mistakes. Thank God CAS deals with relatively low pressures, and simplistic weapons. wink

I don’t know what you are laughing at. Do you wear seatbelts?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don’t know what you are laughing at. Do you wear seatbelts?

Most of the time... smile

Not required here for a 1 ton, but I do anyway.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I once had a strap come loose on a shoulder holster and whilst climbing a cliff dropped a .41 DA on the hammer. I was looking right down the barrel. Those transfer bars do work. Before someone else brings it up, there is no reason to carry 6 in most hiking/ hunting situations. And other than a scuff mark the gun wasn't hurt; a inexpensive but robust and straight ( all 6 holes)shooter I paid all of $ 130 for

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.