Print Thread
Hop To
B
Buck2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am thinking about buying some steel case pistol ammo for plinking. What are your experiences with steel case ammo? Does it feed as well as brass? Does it cause more chamber wear than brass? Is it less accurate than brass? Does it have more blow by than brass?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Use steel cases in commie guns and brass in everything else. Just my opinion. It's worth every penny you paid for it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Steel case ammo works OK. It might cause a little more wear on the extractor and most of it tends to be a bit dirty, but it's a cheap way to get in some handgun practice.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't use any steel in anything but an AK.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Steel cases in AK47s & SKS (7.62x39) only IMHO.

I make my living in a gun shop, and I’ve removed more steel cases stuck in handgun chambers than I can count.

If not for the rigidity of steel (brass bends easily), for the fact they coat steel cases in lacquer to keep them from rusting. That lacquer has to go somewhere when it’s superheated upon firing.

YMMV, but I’d rather spend a few more bucks per/50 for brass cased ammo. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
IC B2

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Brass is way softer than steel and will not damage your gun. Steel is hard and some studies were done.it wore the guns out. Your mileage may vary but for what you save it’s not worth it. Edk

B
Buck2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the replies. Y'all have convinced me to stick with brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With the current ammo prices, I can't see using steel. I've been shooting armscor lately cheaper than I can reload in both 9mm and .45

My experience with steel is it sticks in hot chambers, and it's dirty.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TomT
Steel cases in AK47s & SKS (7.62x39) only IMHO.

I make my living in a gun shop, and I’ve removed more steel cases stuck in handgun chambers than I can count.

If not for the rigidity of steel (brass bends easily), for the fact they coat steel cases in lacquer to keep them from rusting. That lacquer has to go somewhere when it’s superheated upon firing.

YMMV, but I’d rather spend a few more bucks per/50 for brass cased ammo. -TomT
Damn right... Avoid steel cases like the plague...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In rifles, my experience is only with two different SKS's. Only one of which has only seen a small amount of brass cases that were handloaded. That one's 27 years old this year. Other one I got used in 2013 and it's been 100% steel case since I've had it. Never had a problem in either one. I've heard all the stuff about steel being hard on chambers & extractors but I'm starting to think it would take a lot more rounds than I'll ever fire in those things to see the difference. Never a problem with lacquer build up in chambers, as they get cleaned once in a while because I've heard all those lacquer horror stories also. Got a Glock 19 that sees a lot of steel case practice ammo with no problems either. There was a guy at my club that had a 9mm Glock that had fired many thousands of rounds and it was all steel with no problems. That's my experience on it and it seems to me like that there's not as much difference as I once thought.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Testing is needed--

Depends on what you shoot it in

Glocks will run any ammo
Mini 14 will run any ammo

Others may or may not

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Makes no difference. They can make steel as soft or as hard as they want it to be. The steel used for cases is very soft. It might not be as elastic as brass and that and the lacquer that is used on it might cause a case to get stuck from time
To time, but it won’t do any damage or wear any worse than brass.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.