-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, these 3 brown gerbils are hanging out, just shooting the breeze, and this one white gerbil walks up.....

And the first brown gerbil checks him out and says...

Tikka suck

HR IC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If comparing fit, finish and feel of Tikka to Ruger American and Savage, the Tikka is the winner and it isn't even a contest. The Savage will feel downright clunky to the Tikka. On the accuracy front, Tikka is as accurate as a Savage. Savage has no flies on it in the accuracy department. Go Tikka; You won't be disappointed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by devnull
If comparing fit, finish and feel of Tikka to Ruger American and Savage, the Tikka is the winner and it isn't even a contest. The Savage will feel downright clunky to the Tikka. On the accuracy front, Tikka is as accurate as a Savage. Savage has no flies on it in the accuracy department. Go Tikka; You won't be disappointed.

Good post. And more than likely the Tikka will function better than the Savage right out of the box too. Also, some of the newer Savage rifles's I've been seeing lately have some quirks. Their actions aren't as smooth (running the bolt feels gritty) and their new bottom bolt release design sucks.. I have seen quality go downhill in the last year or so, maybe because they knew they were selling out..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SCgman1
So, these 3 brown gerbils are hanging out, just shooting the breeze, and this one white gerbil walks up.....

And the first brown gerbil checks him out and says...

Tikka suck

Little Stick does kinda look like a gerbil....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd seen articles by various scribes, but hadn't tracked any conversations here.
I wanted the straight story from the owners of the rifle.
"Trust , but verify." R.R.
Actually, I spend way too much time in the classifieds. Trying to get out more....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by John_Boy
I'd seen articles by various scribes, but hadn't tracked any conversations here.
Actually, I spend way too much time in the classifieds. Trying to get out more....

If being in the classifieds all the time means hiding under a rock, then yeah... There are tons of threads here on Tikka rifles.. To a lot of guys here, your thread seems like you were dangling some cheese. I'll bite though. If you are not aware, Tikka upgraded their rifles some time back with the T3X model. It has a better (steel vs aluminum) recoil lug (however, it's still detachable and cheesy and can still loosen up over time and cause accuracy issues):
Here's a newer steel one that was wiggling around back and forth and causing some random flyers:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tikka's are good rifles, but they are not "perfect" right out of the box, like a lot of guys around here think. One of the reasons I glass bed them and secure that tacky recoil lug system better.... Here are some before groups of that rifle that only had "160 rounds down the tube":
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now after bedding:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

(continuted), alloy bolt shroud vs. plastic, lengthened ejection port, and better recoil pad.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive got one in a T3 Superlight .223 heading to the range with it today, plinking steel out to 400 yards...you might say I like it....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Twist rate on the 223???

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ingwe: so very hostile, man....

John Boy--try a scope with a long mounting latitude e.g. something akin to the 3-9x40 Conquest, and yer #1 issue will go away.

Defend the Constitution
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Something else that the Tikka has that none of the other rifles in the same price category as them (Remington, Browning, Savage, Ruger, etc.) has is a proper trigger. I am not a fan of the blades on the Savage and Ruger rifles. Remington and Browning have both let lawyers decide that their triggers should suck. I know quite a few people, including myself who are building, or have built custom guns on Tikka actions, and every one of us has left the trigger alone.

In my humble opinion, Tikkas are the only rifles out there right now that don't need at least $200 in upgrades to make them "right". I know some complain about the "plastic" magazines, but I know from experience that they are quite durable and the method of capture is much better than Savage or Ruger. As was pointed out above, $10 of JB Weld and a little time to bed the recoil lug area of the action is all you really need to do.

Last edited by HandgunHTR; 07/30/19.
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Something else that the Tikka has that none of the other rifles in the same price category as them (Remington, Browning, Savage, Ruger, etc.) has is a proper trigger. I am not a fan of the blades on the Savage and Ruger rifles. Remington and Browning have both let lawyers decide that their triggers should suck. I know quite a few people, including myself who are building, or have built custom guns on Tikka actions, and every one of us has left the trigger alone.

In my humble opinion, Tikkas are the only rifles out there right now that don't need at least $200 in upgrades to make them "right". I know some complain about the "plastic" magazines, but I know from experience that they are quite durable and the method of capture is much better than Savage or Ruger. As was pointed out above, $10 of JB Weld and a little time to bed the recoil lug area of the action is all you really need to do.

This. I've only owned two, but both were GTG out of the box. Scope, zero, and hunt.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Come on man, this is the Fire! If you don't own a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor there is something really wrong with you! BTW NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER mount a Leupold on a Tikka!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive got one in a T3 Superlight .223 heading to the range with it today, plinking steel out to 400 yards...you might say I like it....

What’s your load?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-eldm-advice-in-a-1-8-tikka#Post13634027

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Something else that the Tikka has....is a proper trigger.

In my humble opinion, Tikkas are the only rifles out there right now that don't need at least $200 in upgrades to make them "right"...

Sorry for the heavy edit but this right here is why I bought my three. Just take them out of the box, turn the trigger screw a bit and go shooting. Have had two Ruger Americans and while they are certainly usable and accurate rifles, and especially so at their price point, for another 2-3 hundred dollars I think you definitely get a nicer rifle in the Tikka.

And lest the unwashed question my bona fides opinionwise, one is a .22-250 with 8" twist and another is a 6.5 Creedmoor, neither of which wears a Leupold... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Junk stock, worse rings, very smooth action, one length action, OK magazine. Most shoot MOA, some do not without work. Since they've raise the price, IMO, they're a non starter for me.

Same as any other rifle. lol It depends on how they feel in your hands.

Last edited by tzone; 07/30/19.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
JMHO - YMMV

I have owned six or seven Tikkas, including one that I am selling right now.

I think the Tikka is nicer than the Savage and RAR regarding design, fit and finish, as indicated by the price.

Some rave about the Tikka accuracy, but I have not experienced anything extraordinary in this regard. And many RAR and Savage owners report accuracy similar results to the Tikka.

The Tikka twists and barrel lengths often don't make sense. And the 30-06 length action benefits the short-action rounds, but is often too short for long-action rounds that could benefit from a 375 length action with proper magazine, twist, and throat.

This mirrors my experience with them.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by devnull

Disagree on the fit. I'll take the ruger 100 times out of 100.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by John_Boy

If being in the classifieds all the time means hiding under a rock, then yeah... There are tons of threads here on Tikka rifles.. To a lot of guys here, your thread seems like you were dangling some cheese. I'll bite though. If you are not aware, Tikka upgraded their rifles some time back with the T3X model. It has a better (steel vs aluminum) recoil lug (however, it's still detachable and cheesy and can still loosen up over time and cause accuracy issues):
Here's a newer steel one that was wiggling around back and forth and causing some random flyers:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tikka's are good rifles, but they are not "perfect" right out of the box, like a lot of guys around here think. One of the reasons I glass bed them and secure that tacky recoil lug system better.... Here are some before groups of that rifle that only had "160 rounds down the tube":
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now after bedding:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

(continuted), alloy bolt shroud vs. plastic, lengthened ejection port, and better recoil pad.

Although I have no problems with my T3X rifles, I do have an older T3 youth that I need to replace the recoil lug and bed. Any suggestions on an aftermarket lug that is better or all about the same. I did notice the Lumley aftermarket performance parts.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Switch
Come on man, this is the Fire! If you don't own a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor there is something really wrong with you! BTW NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER mount a Leupold on a Tikka!

Uh-oh! I have three Tikkas and they all have Leupolds!

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe

What’s your load?

P

27.6 grains CFE223 and a 55 gr. NBT

OR 24.0 gr TAC with same bullet...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,191
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.