Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 117 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 116 117
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ERK
Scientists claim the earth was a molten ball of lava.then it cooled and life began. Maybe so maybe not. That’s what they taught me in school. Ed k

A lot happened between the time that the earth and the other planets formed from an accretion disk of material orbiting the sun and the emergence of life on earth. Nor did life pop out of nothing. That is the creationist claim, that God popped everything, the whole universe, into existence by an act of Magic.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by ERK
Scientists claim the earth was a molten ball of lava.then it cooled and life began. Maybe so maybe not. That’s what they taught me in school. Ed k

When was this schooling and what level was the education? We've drifted from evolution to a whole 'nother topic though. I'd be more curious when folks learned about evolution and genetics generally....

Based on some of the comments it'd be easy to think that science is not being taught in American schools. Or else, a whole lot of people did not pay attention in class.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Science is also evolving as we find out more and more - medicine is a good example of this.

I think we tend to fill in any logic gaps with stuff we make up, and then revise once we find out more. That's why science changes - assumptions are sometimes wrong. Religion is like this but without any facts.

Note also that earth still has a molten core, and this helps to provide a magnetic field that shields up from the "solar wind" (strips away ozone that protects us from UV radiation) and allows life to exist on this planet.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 07/29/19.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its said that our natural world is the divine expression of God, yet also according to some, something that is at odds with God.

Joseph Campbell [in another video][ also says, man has his own mental construct of the divine he called GOD and mans own notion
or idea of what constitutes Good and Evil, is but his own,.[.ie;] it does mean that God shares the same view.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I used to discuss, or try to, some of this stuff with my father who's formal education ended in 1958 at a podunk high school and generally speaking it was a fruitless endeavor. He knew a lot of stuff, however, biology, and genetics especially, were not represented in his knowledge base.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by ERK

When was this schooling and what level was the education? We've drifted from evolution to a whole 'nother topic though. I'd be more curious when folks learned about evolution and genetics generally....

Based on some of the comments it'd be easy to think that science is not being taught in American schools. Or else, a whole lot of people did not pay attention in class.

Unless you take advanced, honors, or AP, biology classes in high school, you'd be amazed at how little you need to actually understand to get a passing grade these days.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Natural selection and survival of the fittest is not a mechanism to increase complexity.
It is only a negation..

How so? I'd like to hear this explained. If the question has already been asked and answered, please point me to it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I am amazed with what some state about high school science education.

I was in graduating class of 45 students. Our high school required two years of science. Every student took Earth Science in the ninth grade and Biology in the tenth. Biology included a lot of study on taxonomy, so the students understood how different species, families, and orders were related. We spent several weeks on mendelian inheritance, so we actually understood how traits and mutations get passed along, and finally we spent time on anatomy, so students might know what was going on inside their body.

Of course, 70% of the class had farm animals at home and participated in selective breeding programs, so we took to genetics eagerly.

Advanced students were offered Chemistry as a Junior, and Physics as a Senior.

I graduated in Podunk rural Idaho in 1974.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good morning. Have any new Revelations evolved from this discussion? laugh

Good morning Boomer, a couple of 2-3 day s later that is.

Are we going to have a discussion about "Revelations" now? Shouldn't that be a new thread?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Fubarski
I've told you previously in this thread exactly what it means.

Which is the term as it is defined by scientists.

Evolutians are afraid of the term, just like people that have faith in AGW are afraid of accurate climate measurements.

What about a llama and a camel? They've been separated by at least six thousand miles of ocean for millions of years, and are morphologically quite different. Two unrelated species? Or a mere example of micro evolution?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not Macro or Micro...............................

But Medioevolution.

Somewhere's in the middle methinks.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Good morning. Have any new Revelations evolved from this discussion? laugh

Good morning Boomer, a couple of 2-3 day s later that is.

Are we going to have a discussion about "Revelations" now? Shouldn't that be a new thread?

Geno

Good day, I understand the Genesis of your question..... And that's about it.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I was in graduating class of 45 students. Our high school required two years of science. Every student took Earth Science in the ninth grade and Biology in the tenth. Biology included a lot of study on taxonomy, so the students understood how different species, families, and orders were related. We spent several weeks on .mendelian inheritance, so we actually understood how traits and mutations get passed along, and finally we spent time on ana6omy, so students might know what was going on inside their body.

Of course, 70% of the class had farm animals at home and participated in selective breeding programs, so we took to genetics eagerly.

Most people involved in agriculture understand evolution. Selective breeding of plants and animals has gone on for thousands of years. Pretty much all crops and live stock in production today are the result of carefully chosen mutations by humans for certain traits. I always thought it would be interesting to plant some of the crop seeds found in burial tomb's from thousands of years to compare to today's plants.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I was in graduating class of 45 students. Our high school required two years of science. Every student took Earth Science in the ninth grade and Biology in the tenth. Biology included a lot of study on taxonomy, so the students understood how different species, families, and orders were related. We spent several weeks on .mendelian inheritance, so we actually understood how traits and mutations get passed along, and finally we spent time on ana6omy, so students might know what was going on inside their body.

Most people involved in agriculture understand evolution. Selective breeding of plants and animals has gone on for thousands of years. Pretty much all crops and live stock in production today are the result of carefully chosen mutations by humans for certain traits. I always thought it would be interesting to plant some of the crop seeds found in burial tomb's from thousands of years to compare to today's plants.

Yes. That's micro evolution. But selective breeding of plants (using an intelligent agent and not merely random processes) has not converted barley into grapes, or even into wheat, for that matter. And selective breeding of dogs has not converted them into cats or elephants. It has given variation within a type, but that is all. No new species. So, plant and animal breeding do not prove the grander claims of evolution. Quite the opposite: they confirm that species are extremely resistant to change and vary only within the parameters of their type, even when intelligent agents try to intervene for maximum variation.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
So what if, by mere selection for desired traits over time, we could get this annoying weed

[Linked Image]

to become broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kohlrabi (like a turnip), and cauliflower?

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Perhaps not. But it has produced Triticale.

Triticale is a cross, not only of two different species, but of two separate genera. And it breeds true. As in you can use the seed of this year's crop to plant next year's.

So, that makes it an entirely new species created within the space of one century. What is possible in 100,000 centuries, in nature, with the added pressure of extinction level events opening new environments for thousands upon thousands of species.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
All developed from the same weed via selection over time for desired traits:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All from this:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Which with further work becomes quadrotriticale, an excellent food for tribbles.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Scottie beamed them all aboard the Klingon ship.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To the engine room, "Where they'll be no tribble at all."

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Triticale is a cross, not only of two different species, but of two separate genera. And it breeds true. As in you can use the seed of this year's crop to plant next year's.

So, that makes it an entirely new species created within the space of one century. What is possible in 100,000 centuries, in nature, with the added pressure of extinction level events opening new environments for thousands upon thousands of species.

Triticale is actually sterile and has to be treated with a drug to make it fertile.

Page 28 of 117 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.