JW movies I can do without:
True Grit
The Shootist
The Cowboys
Sons Of Katie Elder
McQ
Brannigan
Rooster Cogburn
Train Roberts (Never mind it has Ann Margret so its automatically a favorite)
War Wagon
The Undefeated

This is a good list of John Wayne movies I ain't about to do without.

The first and second are as good as it gets

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The new version is many times better. Just watched it again recently.
I need some of whatever the hell it is you're smoking. Bridges is a piss poor substitute for John Wayne and that sir is a fact.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by jorgeI
JW movies I can do without:
True Grit
The Shootist
The Cowboys
Sons Of Katie Elder
McQ
Brannigan
Rooster Cogburn
Train Roberts (Never mind it has Ann Margret so its automatically a favorite)
War Wagon
The Undefeated

This is a good list of John Wayne movies I ain't about to do without.

The first and second are as good as it gets

The first three are damn good movies. Anybody who thinks otherwise is obviously a liberal snowflake type.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by FatCity67
First movie would have been far better had Wayne summoned his Searchers or Hondo performance.

Yep.

And “The Searchers” is the greatest JW movie and greatest Western of all time!!!

Boy, are you in for a treat when you watch The Man who shot Liberty Valance. Liberty Valance might be the best movie of all time.

Tied with "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Two things I appreciate about the older movies:

The actors were (or at least had the reputations of) decent, America loving folk, and

I could hear and understand the dialog.

It seems that ever since the late 80s, movie soundtracks are made to be "realistic" with tons of background sound (NOISE!) and music that drowns out the speech. Drives me crazy to watch a movie and only catch about half of what is said.

^^^This^^^

And there is also the overload of gratuitous cruelty in the newer movies.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by FatCity67
First movie would have been far better had Wayne summoned his Searchers or Hondo performance.

Yep.

And “The Searchers” is the greatest JW movie and greatest Western of all time!!!

Boy, are you in for a treat when you watch The Man who shot Liberty Valance. Liberty Valance might be the best movie of all time.

Tied with "To Kill a Mockingbird".
Ha. None of those would even make my top 50.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
True Grit is good movie material and a good movie in either version. Wayne nailed the character as did some others but Kim Darby and Glen Campbell were weak, very. This movie was and is great but could have been so much better with better actors in those two roles. Wayne's dialogue is impeccable. Over and over again, he just nails it. "By God, she reminds me of me." "I ain't never met no Texican I couldn't shade." "Fill your hand, you sonovabitch!" The whole drunken "rat writ" bit. All first rate acting. Finally, John Wayne hasn't made a move in 43 years. Has been dead for 40 years. And is still a Top Ten movie star

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Since I was a kid, I've always liked High Noon, but apparently John Wayne said it seemed like communist propaganda to him. He didn't figure there was a town in the Old West where the sheriff or marshal couldn't have gotten whatever size posse he thought he'd need for such a situation, and to suggest otherwise was communist propaganda.

The screenplay for High Noon was written by Carl Foreman, a screenwriter who was blacklisted in Hollywood for being a communist. He wrote the screenplay as an allegory of the fact that some Hollywood actors and writers did not support the various communists in show business during the House UnAmerica Committee Hearings. Go to ....

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0286025/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

... and click on Foreman's biography.

I was never a fan of High Noon because even when I first saw it on big screen when it was released, I never believed the premise, either. In real life, when Marshal Will Kane went to the church and asked for help, about a dozen of the male citizens would have stood up, gone home and got their rifles and shotguns, and when the train arrived at "high noon," would have greeted Frank Miller and his thugs with a warning that if they so much as lifted a finger, they'd all be "eatin' hot lead!" But Hollywood isn't about "real life." It's about "reel life." wink

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
myself a just enjoy a good cowboy movie and now even this new type version cowboy movie YELLOWSTONE is fun to watch. in the YELLOWSTONE show when those cowboys put that big nasty black Angus bull in the bar was wild.

Last edited by pete53; 07/30/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
True Grit is good movie material and a good movie in either version. Wayne nailed the character as did some others but Kim Darby and Glen Campbell were weak, very. This movie was and is great but could have been so much better with better actors in those two roles. Wayne's dialogue is impeccable. Over and over again, he just nails it. "By God, she reminds me of me." "I ain't never met no Texican I couldn't shade." "Fill your hand, you sonovabitch!" The whole drunken "rat writ" bit. All first rate acting. Finally, John Wayne hasn't made a move in 43 years. Has been dead for 40 years. And is still a Top Ten movie star
Exactly !

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
The short scene with Strother Martin as the horse trader was great. "I heard a small child fell in a well".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The short scene with Strother Martin as the horse trader was great. "I heard a small child fell in a well".

Yep. Great scene and a great character actor too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I loved the original, I've watched it at least a dozen times.
I could barely sit through the remake.

Proud NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wayne didn’t really nail the dialogue. In both movies, the dialogue was pretty much word for word from the book.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Wayne didn’t really nail the dialogue. In both movies, the dialogue was pretty much word for word from the book.

The reason people went to see John Wayne movies, was to see John Wayne in a movie. All the criticism of John Wayne is wasted on his acting. Like his acting or not, Wayne was iconic and his last roles were probably his best as he was playing John Wayne being John Wayne. If you didn't like "True Grit" or the "Shootist" you have little appreciation for just how good John Wayne was...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The reason people went to see John Wayne movies, was to see John Wayne in a movie. All the criticism of John Wayne is wasted on his acting. Like his acting or not, Wayne was iconic and his last roles were probably his best as he was playing John Wayne being John Wayne. If you didn't like "True Grit" or the "Shootist" you have little appreciation for just how good John Wayne was...

I didn’t and haven’t criticized his acting at all. I just pointed out that the dialogue was straight from the book.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I loved the original, I've watched it at least a dozen times.
I could barely sit through the remake.

Yes, I am that way as well.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
No reason not to like both versions. Enjoy the movie for a movie. It ya sit there and look for every detail to be right you better just read the book. You can then use your imagination to make everything perfect to your standards. Ed k

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only thing better in the new version to me was the actress who played the little girl. She was much better than Kim Darby. And the actress who played her as a older lady was good too.
Matt Damon absolutely sucked and his fake accent was down right stupid.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/30/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Yep.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 38 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,988
Posts18,520,076
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.