Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
As for cooking a steak, research has shown that searing does not "seal in the juices". It does however, make the steak more pleasing to the eye and tasty by performing the Maillard reaction and caramelization. See this link: https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...cience/myth-searing-steaks-seals-juices. That is in part, why experts and hobbyists who have researched these things are using the reverse sear technique these days.

That being said, I have no trouble achieving well over 500 degrees on my Rec-Tec using Lumberjack Hickory pellets. I don't normally need to run it on full for long, but I've seen 567 degrees. I also use Grill Grates. They have a ribbed side if you want to make pretty lines like the ones restaurants make (and most people think of as a sign of a properly seared steak), or a flat side if you want to sear the whole surface and make all of it more tasty.

My pellet grill puts out a pretty decent amount of smoke up to 245 degrees, above that temperature, it still has some, but not that much. That territory is considered baking. I use one of those lower settings, usually 225 degrees, but lately I've been going with 245, to get my steak up to within 20 degrees or so of the final temp; then I pull them off, crank the heat up to 500 or "full" with the Grill Grates on, and in about 15 minutes it's there, then throw the steaks back on for a couple minutes per side, maybe even 2 or 3 times if needed to hit the final temp. No problem with searing on mine.

Last edited by bhemry; 07/30/19.
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by JGRaider
So if a guy knows what he's doing on the pellet grill, how long does it take to grill up a juicy burger on it, or a 1" juicy rib eye medium rare?

If a guy knows what he's doing on a pellet grill, he'll do the burger or rib-eye over charcoal.

My Traeger will go up to 450 degrees. I cooked one steak on it. Good if you like baked steak. I didn't. It cooks before it gets seared. By the time it would be seared, I think it would also be popcorn fart dry.

You need some Grill Grates!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bhemry
As for cooking a steak, research has shown that searing does not "seal in the juices". It does however, make the steak more pleasing to the eye and tasty by performing the Maillard reaction and caramelization. See this link: https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...cience/myth-searing-steaks-seals-juices. That is in part, why experts and hobbyists who have researched these things are using the reverse sear technique these days.

That being said, I have no trouble achieving well over 500 degrees on my Rec-Tec using Lumberjack Hickory pellets. I don't normally need to run it on full for long, but I've seen 567 degrees. I also use Grill Grates. They have a ribbed side if you want to make pretty lines like the ones restaurants make (and most people think of as a sign of a properly seared steak), or a flat side if you want to sear the whole surface and make all of it more tasty.

My pellet grill puts out a pretty decent amount of smoke up to 245 degrees, above that temperature, it still has some, but not that much. That territory is considered baking. I use one of those lower settings, usually 225 degrees, but lately I've been going with 245, to get my steak up to within 20 degrees or so of the final temp; then I pull them off, crank the heat up to 500 or "full" with the Grill Grates on, and in about 15 minutes it's there, then throw the steaks back on for a couple minutes per side, maybe even 2 or 3 times if needed to hit the final temp. No problem with searing on mine.

+1 on the Grill Grates and temp you've got the Rectec figured out!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You guys are taking the fun outta this.

I am MAGA.
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a pellet grill and use it a lot for smoking meat but for what you listed a egg type grill works better for me.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by edapp
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

My friend has a Rec Tec, lives in Yuma. We were out visiting this weekend, he was running the smoker, had trouble maintaining temp. He is going to call this week and see what they say as he has says he has had trouble maintaining temp since it got hot outside. Outside air temp was about 112, had it set on 225 and the thing was running over 270. Turned it down to 200, still ran about 265. Hope they figure it out.

Thats about what mine will be on a 100 degree day in the direct sunlight. I haven't tried it in the shade, but I suspect that will help. I also noticed that if I put a large piece of cold meat, and a water pan on, it will help, but once the meat heats up I don't think it is possible for it to keep the fire going and keep the temp any lower. Let me know what they say though... I meant to call in but never did. Figured there wasn't much that could be done in those conditions.

They had him adjust the auger rate of feed. He says he has run it twice and it has been spot on. They had to talk him thru it, so dont know the procedure. Guy he talked to lived in GA and said he had to adjust his as well.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

344 members (22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,332 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,549
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.