Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
My bank had what was billed as a “merger of equals” several years ago. The institution is been a part of was clearly making an acquisition in spite of the linguistic niceties. Everyone knew that; our signs went on all the offices, our HQ became THE HQ, and all senior posts were quickly filled by members of our culture.

I tend to believe all “mergers” go this way; one group needs the “union” most and has to acquiesce, sacrificing their culture in order to survive. Not sure it’s good or bad (I think it’s probably both) but it is what it is.

I’ve never been through an ecclesiastical merger but can’t imagine it’d be fun. Likely one heck of a growth experience tho. A lot of sacred cows that need slaughtered in my life, and heaven knows I’ve grown through learning to accept the sacred cows of others.

Church is all about a community in the process of being redeemed and transformed into the likeness of One who took up a cross upon which those who would benefit from His sacrifice hung Him up to die. That’s what we sign up for so, like it or not I get to sing songs printed in the bulletin rather than Psalms from the denominational “red book” under my seat.

High class problems but annoying as hell wink !

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Mainline denominations are committing suicide and the grassroots supporters/members are paying the price. ‘Tis a genuine shame.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The Methodist church we attend is shrinking also, no young people join.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pete, at our meeting last night, it was explained to us by the district superintend and this is Iowa, and it may be different in different states with the United Methodist church, real-estate, and other assets are "held in trust" by the local church. Held in trust but owned by the head body.

My suspicion is the main church organizations is finding the paying of current and retired clergy salaries and retirement money. Closing churches and selling that real estate off to get the money is the game plan.. Remember religion is a business.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
The Methodist church we attend is shrinking also, no young people join.

That's not just a Methodist problem. The one we were attending had several young couples that were very involved in the church, but the old people, in particular one old biddy, resented them having any say-so as to what went on in the church. She wanted the final word, and the young folks finally left.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pete, at our meeting last night, it was explained to us by the district superintend and this is Iowa, and it may be different in different states with the United Methodist church, real-estate, and other assets are "held in trust" by the local church. Held in trust but owned by the head body.

That is one of the biggest problems I have with the Methodist church. The property that the local church has acquired should not end up in the hands of the international body.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

This is the case here in N.C. It is how they get away with closing churches so easily. Church cemeteries cause them a bit of aggravation, both they are learning to get around that. The District does what it wants to do. They find a preacher and congregation members that are down with the cause, and they execute their plan. The deal is already done before the rank and file members know what’s going on. It leaves many live long members crushed. Like I said earlier.....it ain’t pretty to watch.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
These institutional structures have a tendency to become entities which serve only themselves & the interests of the bureaucrats who run them who over time have decreasing connection to the congregants in the pews.

Free Methodism has managed to hold closer to the Bible and has avoided the amazing shrinkage of the mainline. Coincidence? No way!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
That is a legal question. It would seem that it would depend on how the title is written. The county court house can answer that. If title is held by the local body they should be able to keep the property.

More than likely the state or national group helped fund the startup and had title to the property. You should check.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Denominations, to include the Catholic church, are the bain of Christianity. Jesus left this earth with one Church and He's coming back for one Church, not for foolish people wanting to chose what to believe so their comfort levels are not exceeded.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
So if a church (of any kind) decides to go out of business and sell all their assets who gets the money?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Honest question from one who really has no opinion on the matter, and got hammered watching the debate tonight.

Why must one go to church to worship God/Christ/Holy trinity/ghost or whatever? I mean y'all can read I assume, why does someone gotta read it to you at an appointed time on Sunday? I miss the rules that were handed out or something?

OK, I am done stirring chit up. I'll leave this out there: On the day of rest, I'm frigging resting. I want to worship, I'll be good and rested when I wake up. Discuss amongst yourselves. I'm not disparaging any religion. Honest questions, from someone who had to go to early Sunday service, simply because it was shorter. And later found out my parents did not truly believe.

Great question, considering that you are drunk and have mental trauma from the debate. Corporate worship, i.e., going to church, is one part of living a Christ centered life. Your daily devotions and prayer life will be more beneficial than 90 minutes at a convenient time once a week. That must have been very painful to find out your parents don't believe. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

corporate worship is a way to keep an eye on folks, to press onward. To be able to say where were you last week. You didn't give us enough money. You need to act better, often while someone in upper management screws someone else.. literally or figuratively.

Book says where 2 or more gather. Until my wife dies or I die, I figure we are ok.

And I"m all ok with Congregational too, I just don't want to really ever be tied down to one place and all the time again, its getting in a rut that seems to eventually do the most damage

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr

That is one of the biggest problems I have with the Methodist church. The property that the local church has acquired should not end up in the hands of the international body.

If I were methodist, the biggest problem I'd have is the anti gun stance.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by victoro
So if a church (of any kind) decides to go out of business and sell all their assets who gets the money?

It depends on the church and who they are affiliated with. With many it would revert back to the headquarters of the denomination.

If it's an unaffiliated church, likely back to those who attended or those who initially put the money up to start it. Most would have a document that would define what was to happen.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Which is one of the reasons we left the Methodists, along with them wanting to promote the queer agenda.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

corporate worship is a way to keep an eye on folks, to press onward. To be able to say where were you last week. You didn't give us enough money. You need to act better, often while someone in upper management screws someone else.. literally or figuratively.

Corporate worship is about meeting together and making community around a shared ideal who, in the Christian Church, is Christ.

Toward that end I need people to keep an eye on me. My heart is prone to wander from the God I claim and therefore regular check-ins for purposes of reorientation are a must.

Doing my own thing on a Sunday morning, for me, is tantamount to making myself the ideal. I’ve been there, done that, got the friggin t-shirt and don’t want any part of that. Idolatry is my pre-programmed “go to” and proves harmful for me and those around me. God is calling for Himself a redeemed community as such. Putting up with all this BS is part of the deal cuz we’re all full of it... and yet He has called us. That’s grace.

Others’ mileage may vary, but I had to toss in my .02 to provide a counter position to the typical individualistic drivel typical of these threads.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

The property issue lays the foundation (no pun intended) for the kind of centralized power that allows the firearm one to stand.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

Which is one of the reasons we left the Methodists, along with them wanting to promote the queer agenda.

SOME of the Methodists want to promote the queer agenda. No support for that in my neck of the woods. It is possibly why they are purging the most rural, small churches. Get the conservative vote out of the room.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
People are mostly social by nature. Churches used to have a larger role filling a social role in their community. With the advent of social media, Facebook and forums such as this are performing this task of social interaction. It's easier to stare at your screen than interact in person.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

SOME of the Methodists want to promote the queer agenda. No support for that in my neck of the woods. It is possibly why they are purging the most rural, small churches. Get the conservative vote out of the room.

I'll go along with that .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,306
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.