-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC the Ruger 96/44 and rimfire variants had a rear locking action similar in design to the Savage 99.

Real mediocre video here but watch from 1:50 through 2:20. You have to watch it on youtube proper but it's the only one I've found that clearly shows the operation of the action. This one shows the back actuator bar (or "whatchamacallit thing") on the lever and how the rear of the bolt drops out of its locking recess in the top of the action. It also has a cocking indicator at the back of the receiver.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Its a box magazine lever action with nice bluing and walnut stocks.

And that's where the similarities end.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
About as similar as a cat and a dog, which both have a leg on each corner. .260 is closer to the truth; both the Henry and BLR lock into the barrel, have DBMs, and hammers. Don't know how close the rack 'n pinion of the BLR is to the "gear driven" Henry, but the Browning is certainly more refined and has an available TD version and trick hammer that renders it pretty dang safe when activated. No contest IMO as to which of those two is more desirable, unless you just don't like Japanese goods (scopes excepted, I'm sure!).

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These discussions are usually pretty entertaining. Savage has made its mark over the years, selling moderately priced, accurate rifles to people that did not want to have to pay gobs of money for a good, shootable rifle. I have had several savages, most of which now have different barrels on them, but the actions are solid and the stocks are fine enough. I could not care less, if a rifle is "ugly", as long as it shoots well and has a reasonable trigger. Savage, for the most part fits that nicely.

That being said, their quality control has gone completely in the dumpster as of late. My buddy got a bad shooter, sent it back, got it back and it STILL shoots like crap. He has a bore scope and he said it looks like someone with palsy was running the machine. He is going to re-barrel it.

That brings up another plus that Savage has always had. The barrel nut system makes it very easy to re-barrel a rifle, with no time on a lathe. Now, because of Savage's lead for many years, many barrel makers are doing the barrel nut system on barrels for Remington rifles. I have put a couple Criterion barrels on Remington rifles, with the help of a friend, and they are incredible shooters.

It is too bad that Savage has gone down the tubes, but that seems to be the case with about any company at some point. I hope that they can come up with a solution and get back in the game. There are so many moderately-priced rifles now, that it is a tough business to be in.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You may get by with ugly in the cheap rifle market until others build cheap, accurate rifles that look better.

Don’t think they’ll catch up.

But I hate to see any gun manufacturer going down.

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You may get by with ugly in the cheap rifle market until others build cheap, accurate rifles that look better.

DF
Who's building cheap, accurate, good looking rifles ? Cheap and accurate are out there for sure but calling any of them good looking would be a stretch.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart

DF
Who's building cheap, accurate, good looking rifles ? Cheap and accurate are out there for sure but calling any of them good looking would be a stretch.

Good looking? Or just not quite as ugly as Salvages?

T/C, Ruger, Mossberg....

Maybe others I didn't think of.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

DF

Good looking? Or just not quite as ugly as Salvages?

T/C, Ruger, Mossberg....

Maybe others I didn't think of.

DF
You're joking right ? The Ruger American is uglier than homemade soap. Certainly no better than a Savage. I have both a T/C Venture and Compass and they're certainly far from good looking rifles. Ugly as a Savage ? Personally I think they're uglier and neither one shoots as good as my Stevens 200. The Mossberg Patriot isn't too bad with the Walnut stock but still isn't what I'd call "good looking". I sure wouldn't bet on it to outshoot a Savage either.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Opinions Vary.

Nothing is AS ugly as savage and they have the Commode Flush Handle
free of charge.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
“Beauty in the eye”..

YMMV

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Opinions Vary.

Nothing is AS ugly as savage and they have the Commode Flush Handle
free of charge.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
“Beauty in the eye”..

YMMV

Jerry
There are lots of aftermarket bolt handles for Savage if that's your big complaint. The handles on the Venture, Compass and Ruger American are certainly just as ugly. In other words, your ugly bolt handle argument holds as much water as a spaghetti strainer.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Opinions. Vary

REDUX

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Less ugly bolt handle?

Lipstick on a pig?

Just asking.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The point is, there are no cheap, good looking rifles. They're all pretty dang ugly as they come from the factory. The Savage has more aftermarket parts available to improve looks and performance than any of the rest.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Buy enough lipstick, one could almost have afforded a nicer, better looking rifle.

Hard to convince a Chevy guy that an F-150 is better. Or prettier.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Buy enough lipstick, one could almost have afforded a nicer, better looking rifle.

Hard to convince a Chevy guy that an F-150 is better. Or prettier.

DF
That's only because Chevy guys are stubbornly stupid. Whatcha gonna buy for 450.00 that looks better, shoots as good and has as good of a trigger as my Boyds stocked, Rifle Basix triggered Stevens 200 ? My T/C Venture cost 465.00 with all it's factory ugly fully intact. It's not as accurate and has a comparatively lousy trigger. Now I know the Stevens is discontinued now but you can do the Same to a Savage Axis for about the same price today if you buy one on sale.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like my Z-71.

DF

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Mine went over 400,000 miles with out any engine work. I have a Yukon XL with over 300,000 right now., did the same several years ago with a couple of Fleetwoods with the LT1 engine. For whatever reason I don't do as well with Fords, I have a one ton dually right now with what some say was the best Diesel they ever offered, engine is fine but nickel and dime stuff all the time, that has happened before with Ford products but they have the best selling truck, they apparently work for some.

Anyway, I hate the AXIS, ugliest rifle ever!! I had a Savage bull barrel 22-250, shot decent but not great. I kinda like the new Savage with the twisted flutes, but others in that price range have more appeal, to each his own!!

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I heard Ford will no longer be making cars after 2020 ends . The only one after then will be The Mustang , SUV's and Trucks are their new direction. Companies change for one reason or another.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Malcolm
I heard Ford will no longer be making cars after 2020 ends . The only one after then will be The Mustang , SUV's and Trucks are their new direction. Companies change for one reason or another.

That is why Ford recently laid off 7,000 people. Don't need 'em if they're no longer gonna build sedans.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Malcolm

They can't keep up with Toyota and Honda with small and med sized cars.

For Salvage fans, Bass Pro has the Axis XP in TrueTimber Strata camo on sale for $299, including a mounted and bore sighted Weaver 3-9x40.

Available in 7 calibers, 3 in the Compact model.

Now, that's cheap...

What's a Weaver 3-9x40 worth? And the rings?

DF

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.