Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What kind of side by side does a full sized adult male drive?

I have zero experience except for the 2 polaris machines I tried today. Same dealer also sells honda but I couldn't wedge my azz into the seat on the honda as they were just too small.

I drove the Polaris Ranger 900 and a 1000. The 1000 had a few more doodads and features but they both felt like pretty capable machines. The 900 was louder than the 1000 and I wondered why...

Either of the polaris machines was decently comfortable to drive but they both required more movement to get to the brake than I really would have liked, given the pretty compact seating arrangement. Seemed like moving the seat back even an inch would have helped, but the frame wouldn't permit that.

Is there a machine with more room for the driver? I have no preference in maker as I have no experience. The polarises and hondas I looked at are simply all that is sold locally

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB4

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Of all of them I like the 900 Polaris.

For us its the best balance of size and performance.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Jim, we’ll need photos of you behind the wheel .

You know....proof of balance and such.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is there anything with more room for the driver?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My boss is a big guy and he just got a General. Seems to work for him...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by kroo88

Jim, we’ll need photos of you behind the wheel .

You know....proof of balance and such.

Well, its got a pretty good list to port when I drive it.

JohnW....every SXS I have set in has been a bit cramped.

The Polaris is best for me.

I have not sat in a Kawasaki or a Can Am though. I know Barry likes his Kawasaki...and he is a couple inches taller than me. Maybe go find one of them to try.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Roxors look kinda cool for a full size knockabout. About $15k, but hell, everything is stupid expensive these days.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How does the polaris hold up compared to other machines? Might not matter if I can't fit in the other machines,but still seems like I oughtta ask.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Our Ranger has been good.

In 3500 HARD miles the only major whoops was a driver side lower A arm.

I would sure sit in all of them before I dumped 15,000 dollars on a Polaris however!

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We use a Yamaha Wolverine

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a look at the can am, a little bigger cab than the ranger. I think they are both pretty similar in terms of power and quality. I have the can am commander 800 which is a sport work hybrid model so I can act like a kid when need arises as well as haul and plow with it.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I live near a couple of bigger towns. Will check for other dealers and see what I can

The center console on the can-am doesn't look promising

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do you want a 50" or a 60"? The 50 is smaller, of course, and doesn't come in a 4 seater, but it will fit in the bed of a pickup and is legal an all atv trails.
We have a '12 Polaris 50" RZR 800. They're the 900's now.
There are only 4 50's made now that I know of, Polaris RZR in either 570 or 900, Honda Pioneer 500, Can-Am Maverick, either 800 or 1000, and Textron Wildcat Trail.

I haven't driven any other than my RZR 800. I'm good sized and I fit it fine. I do sit on a cushion for a bit more seat height. I have a hip problem that bothers me when I sit low. I put 70 mountain miles on it the last 2 days with no discomfort at all.
I've heard that the Honda 500 is a put-put. It'll get there reliably but it's HP rating is well below the others so don't get in a rush.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Those Roxors look kinda cool for a full size knockabout. About $15k, but hell, everything is stupid expensive these days.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/

These are very cool. I hadn't seen them. Seems like Jeep doesn't like them . grin

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-jeep-like-mahindra-roxor-4x4-in-the-us/

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Do you want a 50" or a 60"? The 50 is smaller, of course, and doesn't come in a 4 seater, but it will fit in the bed of a pickup and is legal an all atv trails.
There are only 4 50's made now that I know of, Polaris RZR in either 570 or 900, Honda Pioneer 500, Can-Am Maverick, either 800 or 1000, and Textron Wildcat Trail.

I haven't driven any other than my RZR 800. I'm good sized and I fit it fine. I do sit on a cushion for a bit more seat height. I have a hip problem that bothers me when I sit low. I put 70 mountain miles on it the last 2 days with no discomfort at all.
I've heard that the Honda 500 is a put-put. It'll get there reliably but it's HP rating is well below the others so don't get in a rush.

Don't know the difference between the 50" and the 60 ". What are they measuring?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You need to make a decision on what you want to do with your SxS. If it is more of a work type setup I would lean toward the Can-am Defender or the Polaris General. If you want a sport utility then you need to look at the Can-am Commander 1000. The Can-Ams have a wider cab than the rest of the UTVs and the seats sit you in a more vertical position than the Polaris. Personally I have a Can-Am Commander 1000 and it has been trouble free. The rest of the group that I run with all have the RZRs and I spend a considerable amount of time working on them, plus it seems that they are having to return to the dealership a lot for recalls. Width of the SxS. 50" wide outside of tire to outside of tire. The 50s are narrow with narrow cabs. The Commanders are 65" and wide cabs. We ride national forest all year long and the 65s work great. The 72s get a little tough in some places.

Last edited by BluMtn; 07/31/19.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We went riding locally this last weekend with some friends that we had not ridden with before and took them to the mountains. They have a Kawasaki Mule 500. We took off up the road and after about 15 minutes of riding I stopped because I had not seen them in my mirror for awhile. I thought the dust may have held them back, but when they finally caught up I found out that their mule will only go 10 to 15 mph up hills and has a top speed of 30 mph. Made for a slow day because he would only travel about 15 on the roads. Once on the trails he did ok until we got into the hilly trails and he did not have the power to climb some of the trails. We had to help him up some of the climbs.

Last edited by BluMtn; 07/31/19.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Don't know the difference between the 50" and the 60 ". What are they measuring?
It's the maximum width of the UTV. 50" is the same width as an ATV. 60" is wider. The 50 will fit between the wheelwells of a pickup, the 60 won't. Many ATV trails are limited to 50" so the narrow one allows you on many more trails than does the 60. Of course the 50 is more limited for room and seating. It's how you want to use it. Ours is a 50. We often wish we had more room inside but we've gone a LOT of places where the larger ones can't go.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

First ask your self......

my budget.......my use .....local trail systems/trail width.......2 seat .........4 seat ?

I'm on my third SxS....two previous Yamaha Rhino's....now an '18 Kawaski LE4

My Kawi was purchased new in May '18...now w/2600 miles....DOT glass windshield & rear plastic window

Around $17K OTD....Kawasaki is the only mfg to offer a 3 year warranty...machine is easy to service

Plenty roomy for 4 adults.......62" wide....weighs 1600#.......800 cc V twin power & electric PS

Two seater available giving extra storage behind seats & bigger bed......same frame size & length

Our local Forest is widening trails to 66" where feasable.....most BLM trails are at least this wide or more

All comes down to personal machine preference & what dealers are available...best bang for your buck

Yes you can expect belt drive noise & summer cab heat......some better than others.....

Have a buddy with a new General.....brags of how quiet it is.....all decked out......prob $24K !!!!!!

Happy with my Kawasaki Teryx LE4.....none are perfect for everyone....shop around & test them out...

Suggest for full size SxS a suitable trailer to safely haul machine

https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2020-Teryx4?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 65 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,632
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.