Page 32 of 117 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 116 117
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Sound familiar?

''Okay, so here is a summary of the arguments of these folks against evolution:

1. Mere chance cannot create complex living organisms.

2. The fossil record is full of gaps, it doesn’t show species changing gradually to other species.

3. The theory of evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics

4. If life arose through evolution, why can’t scientists create life in the laboratory?''

Weak...a strawman/caricature of the arguments against evolution and then a response to that strawman.

Tarquin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Nope, our "universe" is in a shoe box under a bed that belongs to a kid named "God".

Personally I prefer a computer simulation within a simulation and so forth.

Star Trek The Next Generation
Episode: Ship in a Bottle (end of last act)

"As far as Moriarty and the countess know, they're halfway to Meles II by now. This enhancement module contains enough active memory to provide them with experiences for a lifetime."

"They will live their lives and never know any difference."

"In a sense, you did give Moriarty what he wanted."

"In a sense, who knows? Our reality may be very much like theirs. All this might just be an elaborate simulation running inside a little device sitting on someone's table."

(all leave, except Barclay, who apprehensively tests his environment...)
"Computer, end program."

(Nothing happens, and Barclay smiles)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by DBT
Sound familiar?

2. The fossil record is full of gaps, it doesn’t show species changing gradually to other species.

4. If life arose through evolution, why can’t scientists create life in the laboratory?''

Weak...a strawman/caricature of the arguments against evolution and then a response to that strawman.

Not weak at all. Versions of these tactics have been used on this thread. How many comments have there been along the lines of ''pure chance cannot...?'' The caricature being the creationist version of evolution. Evolution is a proven principle. The evidence, if actually considered, is undeniable.

Last edited by DBT; 07/31/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by Starman
[1/. Where was this creator before the universe existed?
2/. where is that creator located now?

Don't get stuck in three dimensions.There was no "where," He just was and still is.

settle man, I made no mention of the creators realm being limited to a 3D interpretation,

so again,.. 1/. where was the creators realm of existence before the universe came about?
and...2/. where is the creators realm of existence at this moment?

[ie;] Is the christian heaven with father and son a realm outside our current universe?

- Where is this somewhere place-destination called Heaven or the Fathers House?

- Is it in exactly the same place it was before the universe came about?

Jesus did go away/ go somewhere when he ascended, yes? and when he returns for the judgement
he will have come from somewhere , yes?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's another problem, Jesus is said to have promised to return in power, come to judge the world within the lifetime of those standing before him. The first Christians waited for that event, but it did not happen.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BIble Says they saw him physically ascend-go away and Bible says they will the see him coming on his return.
thus He didn't depart-dissapear in an instant beyond 3D time and space puff of God magic.

he also did not depart for heaven anywhere near the speed of light,

even at the speed of light Jesus would currently only be 2000 lights away, while our Milky Way galaxy
is 53,000 light years in size....then there's the rest of the immense universe to traverse before you can
get to the gates of heaven...

...lest of course heaven is much much closer than some believe?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jacobs ladder has the Angels decending and ascending between heaven and earth. God's throne being said to rest upon the dome of the sky, which is based on the cosmology of that time and place.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Starman

...lest of course heaven is much much closer than some believe?

Rrrrrr, many here think it's very very far, for some. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Why would a Being capable of creating a universe, create evil or create hell?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by smokepole

No sh** Sherlock. I'm a scientist, and I am not a creationsit. But I can still see it, plain as day. In fact, I'm guilty of it myself.

"Sherlock?" What exactly do you see, and what exactly are you guilty of? You need to be more precise.

How many scientists publish papers on creationism? What scientists happen to contemplate in private is irrelevant to science.

Thank you, Galileo. Or do yiou fancy yourself more a Leonardo?

It has nothing to do with me. You are trying to deflect away from the argument and onto the poster, an attempt to make it something personal. A common ploy and a sign of failure.

My original point had everything to do with you, me, and most everyone posting on this thread. And to remind you, that was: most people who participate in these arguments start with an unshakable belief, and look for evidence that corroborates that belief. They take that evidence wherever they can find it.

Then you shifted the argument to the scientists who developed the theory of evolution, none of whom were included in the point I was making. I understand how and why they came up with the theory but there's not a single person commenting on thes thread who's followed that path and done what they did. Everyone commenting here is depending on the work/research/writings/publications of someone else to form and bolster their own opinions.

But by trying to shift the point I was making to the originators of the theory, you placed yourself in their company and I'm here to tell you you're not in their company, you're riding their coattails just like everyone else who supports the theory. Hence the "Galileo" comment.

I've observed these threads on evolution since I joined this site. They were going on before I joined and they'll be going on after I depart. Lots of good points made on both sides but the one thing I'm certain of is that not a single person has switched over to the other side based on what's been said. So it's entertaining to see people such as yourself attempt to "prove" their points, on both sides.

I gave up on arguing these points a while back, it's fruitless. I know what I believe, and why, and that's good enough for me.. I also know that I don't have all the answers, none of us do.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
In Brief

''Despite definitive legal cases that have established the unconstitutionality of teaching intelligent design or creationist ideology in science class, the theory of evolution remains consistently under attack.

Creationist arguments are notoriously errant or based on a misunderstanding of evolutionary science and evidence.

Hundreds of studies verify the facts of evolution, at both the microevolutionary and macroevolutionary scale—from the origin of new traits and new species to the underpinnings of the complexity we see in life and the statistical probability of such complexity arising.''

Notice the caricature "creationist". The use of caricatures is a give away that the proponent of the term doubts he can win on the merits. (If an atheist intellectual has doubts about Neo-Darwinism surely he is not a creationist, but I digress). Hundreds of studies do not verify that evolution can create life form inorganic matter or that it can create whole new body plans from pre-existing ones. They prove the opposite. Indeed, life itself and new body plans are the product of coded genetic information and Neo-Darwinism cannot account for either the inception of that information or its increase. It is true the neo-Darwinian establishment (liberal judges) have ruled that teaching the controversy is unconstitutional, but that utterly begs the question. Their decisions are poorly decided and evince a poor grasp of science. Recently the Supreme Court ruled that the 14th Amendment was understood by its Framers to prohibit discrimination against homosexual marriage. This is nonsense too. Get the point? Arguments against evolution are not "notoriously errant or based on a misunderstanding of science". Intellectuals with the highest academic pedigrees (David Galernter, David Berlinski, Stephen Meyers, Phillip Johnson, James Tour, George Gilder and many, many others with the highest of IQs and credentials do not "misunderstand" evolution. Its more likely they understand if exceptionally well and hence come by their doubts honestly. The very question-begging, misrepresenting and caricature indulging nature of DBT's post suggest a lack of confidence in his own position, otherwise, he'd employ better arguments. laugh

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here is one of those scientists DBT claims "don't understand" evolution. James Tour is one of the 50 most influential scientists in the world. Its far more likely Tour understands evolution exceptionally well, certainly much, much better than DBT and yet Tour doubts the neo-Darwinian creation myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tour.

Last edited by Tarquin; 07/31/19.

Tarquin
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by DBT
Sound familiar?

Crdationists sound pretty simple minded to me. Hrere wre the answers:

1. It can and it does. The mechanisms by which life evolves, including some of it becoming more complicated, are well understood. We don't yet know how inorganic stuff became simple life (see question 4) but wee shure know how organisms evolve wonce they exist.

2. There are many cases of species changing into other cpecies, and fossils keep getting found that are "missing links" between different forms. "Gaps" get smaller with each discoveery.

3. Creationists don't understnd simple physics. The second law of thermodynamics says that in a CLOSED SYSTEM, every process produces more disorder. Thus, say the cretionists, a simpler thing cannot eveolve to a more complex, or orderly, thing. Not true. The closed system includes the organism AND the earth. The organism itself can become more complex. If the second law of thermodynamics precluded evolution, it would also preclude making automobiles out of raw materials.

4. This argument is like saying, in 1900, that birds can't fly because scientists haven't figured out how to make things that fly in the laboratory--yet. Yet birds fly.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Here is one of those scientists DBT claims "don't understand" evolution. James Tour is one of the 50 most influential scientists in the world. Its far more likely Tour understands evolution exceptionally well, certainly much, much better than DBT and yet Tour doubts the neo-Darwinian creation myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tour.

Oh, I’ve already linked some of Tour’s videos and his impressive credentials. The brain trust around here has already ruled that he is dummy with a poor grasp of the subject.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/31/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
''Despite definitive legal cases that have established the unconstitutionality of teaching intelligent design or creationist ideology in science class, the theory of evolution remains consistently under attack.

Perhaps not exclusively but as an alternative theory. All theories should be under constant attack, that's the scientific method. For goodness sake I saw an article sometime this month where Einstein's General Theory was confirmed yet again.

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Excellent presentation by world renowned chemist James Tour on why evolution has not (and probably cannot) explain the origin of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4sP1E1Jd_Y

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I understand it evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life. It deals with what happened after that.

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by nighthawk
As I understand it evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life. It deals with what happened after that.

Evolution is a non-starter unless and until it can explain how life began but all evolutionists believe that in principle evolution explains the origins of life. It is the only naturalistic theory available to them and they dogmatically insist its up to the task, but in reality all they have is hand-waving and speculation against extremely improbable odds.

Tarquin
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Excellent presentation by world renowned chemist James Tour on why evolution has not (and probably cannot) explain the origin of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4sP1E1Jd_Y

Two separate and different subjects/fields of study/arguments.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 32 of 117 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 9 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.