-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 117 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 116 117
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hitchen's razor can be applied to those claims.

Apparently you don't consider what can be found through logic as "evidence." Apparently if A==B and B==C then A==C is drivel. Spock would disapprove.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
That's another problem, Jesus is said to have promised to return in power, come to judge the world within the lifetime of those standing before him. The first Christians waited for that event, but it did not happen.

Others who read the Bible say something different. You don't know what the first Christians did. Jesus said He would send the Holy Spirit. That happened.

The words say what they say and mean what they mean. The first Christians expected the return of Jesus In power within their lifetimes, as the words say and as promised. Check the history. It's there for anyone to see and read.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by DBT

What I am doing is nothing more than pointing out that evolution is well supported by evidence and that there are problems with faith based belief. That's all. There is no shifting from this or that, what I said was and still is related to that issue.

"There are problems with faith-based belief??"

That has to be the most arrogant statement you've made so far, and it's also demonstrably false.

Faith-based belief is by definition based on faith, not evidence or science. What "problems" do you have with someone else's faith?

It's neither an arrogant statement or an innacurate one. It's simply the case that faith based beliefs are problematic. You only have to look at the contradictions between faiths, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, etc, etc, to see the problems with faith as a means of determining truth.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by DBT
Now you are getting sad and personal.

This @sshole is paddler.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by DBT
Now you are getting sad and personal.

This @sshole is paddler.

Ha, the true colours emerge.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Tarquin

Stephen Meyer.
Here's the first line from his Wiki page:

tephen C. Meyer (born 1958) is an American advocate of the pseudoscientific principle of intelligent design.

Pseudoscience consists of statements, beliefs, or practices that are claimed to be both scientific and factual, but are incompatible with the scientific method. Pseudoscience is often characterized by contradictory, exaggerated or unfalsifiable claims; reliance on confirmation bias rather than rigorous attempts at refutation; lack of openness to evaluation by other experts; and absence of systematic practices when developing theories, and continued adherence long after they have been experimentally discredited.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where do you find "in their lifetime" in scripture? Remember, many of the first Christians saw things in light of Judaic teaching which is quite different than teaching in the new testament.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

What I am doing is nothing more than pointing out that evolution is well supported by evidence and that there are problems with faith based belief. That's all. There is no shifting from this or that, what I said was and still is related to that issue.

That has to be the most arrogant statement you've made so far, and it's also demonstrably false.

Faith-based belief is by definition based on faith, not evidence or science. What "problems" do you have with someone else's faith?

It's neither an arrogant statement or an innacurate one. It's simply the case that faith based beliefs are problematic. You only have to look at the contradictions between faiths, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, etc, etc, to see the problems with faith as a means of determining truth.

Nice non-answer. I'll ask again: What "problems" do you have with other people's faith?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk
That's the way I learned it. Does not foreclose the involvement of a deity if you desire one.

That depends upon how the specific deity in question is defined, but no, it does not preclude all definitions.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Stephen Meyer.
Here's the first line from his Wiki page:

tephen C. Meyer (born 1958) is an American advocate of the pseudoscientific principle of intelligent design.

Pseudoscience consists of statements, beliefs, or practices that are claimed to be both scientific and factual, but are incompatible with the scientific method. Pseudoscience is often characterized by contradictory, exaggerated or unfalsifiable claims; reliance on confirmation bias rather than rigorous attempts at refutation; lack of openness to evaluation by other experts; and absence of systematic practices when developing theories, and continued adherence long after they have been experimentally discredited.

First you let Google's algorithms do your thinking and now you ask us to believe that because someone said something on the internet, it's indubitably true. Your responses reek of desperation.

Tarquin
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Starman

...lest of course heaven is much much closer than some believe?

Rrrrrr, many here think it's very very far, for some. LOL

you mean like a dog with its nose pressed against a butchershop window and thinking;

"so close yet so far away".. grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
As I understand it evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life. It deals with what happened after that.

Evolution is a non-starter unless and until it can explain how life began but all evolutionists believe that in principle evolution explains the origins of life. It is the only naturalistic theory available to them and they dogmatically insist its up to the task, but in reality all they have is hand-waving and speculation against extremely improbable odds.

No, evolution says: We KNOW the Earth was once inhabited by sea creatures, and then it was inhabited by land animals, and then it was inhabited by giant reptiles, and then it was inhabited by giant birds, and then it was inhabited by small birds and large mammal. And this is the best explanation available at this time for how those transitions occurred, subject to further refinement.

That is not what evolution says at all: it says we have a fully naturalistic mechanism that explains the origin and diversity of life on this planet. The problem is the mechanism is demonstrably incapable of explaining either. It is a failed theory.

You are wrong.
Cosmology struggles to determine the origin of the universe. There are several conficting theories. A wise man admits we have no definitive answer.

Abiogenisis is a study of how living cells could emerge from the primordial ooze. Once again, no clear answers are available.

Evolution is how those original living cells, no matter the source, became the complex organisms extant on the Earth today, as well as the millions or billions of organisms long extinct. The evidence to support evolution is overwhelm8ngbto any who would look at it with an open mind.

But does scripture not tell us to ignore anything which MIGHT come between one and his faith in what he believes God to be.

You are conflating the three fields of study in an effort to discredit one field.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

It still has nothing to do with me, my confidence or what I do or do not believe. The issue is evidence and what it supports. The evidence supports evolution, as confirmed by the vast majority of those who work in the field, which, again, has nothing to do with me or what I happen to believe or not believe;

Then you believe in man-caused global warming also.

That's a separate proposition that has nothing to do with the current discussion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
That's another problem, Jesus is said to have promised to return in power, come to judge the world within the lifetime
of those standing before him. The first Christians waited for that event, but it did not happen.

Others who read the Bible say something different. You don't know what the first Christians did. Jesus said He would send
the Holy Spirit. That happened.

Ringman,

try reading your Bible again, Jesus didn't send the Holy Spirit.

Jesus asks the Father to send the holy Spirit in his sons name.

Jesus does nothing of his own, but credits everything to the Father in heaven.

John 14:16
"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper,.."
John 14:26
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,.."
Acts 2:33
"Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit,.."
Ephesians 1:17
"that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him".

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

Faith-based belief is by definition based on faith, not evidence...

You don't see the problem with that?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/31/19.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by DBT

It still has nothing to do with me, my confidence or what I do or do not believe. The issue is evidence and what it supports. The evidence supports evolution, as confirmed by the vast majority of those who work in the field, which, again, has nothing to do with me or what I happen to believe or not believe;

That's a separate proposition that has nothing to do with the current discussion.

If your standard of proof is that everybody that benefits from the subject believes in it, as paddler stated, then you would believe equally in both theories.

By that standard, AGW is just as valid as the theory of evolution.

If paddler is to be believed, all evolutionists would also believe in AGW.

Course, we know where paddler stands:

Originally Posted by DBT
Political agenda may come into it, but the actual issue is carrying capacity of the planet given a population of 7 billion plus consuming resources at the rate of developed nations.

Developing nations have every right to lift the living standard of their own citizens, but the question is: is it ecologically sustainable in the long term? Never mind politics or 'left wing agenda' this is purely and simply about long term ecological sustainability.

Last edited by Fubarski; 07/31/19. Reason: s
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Nice non-answer. I'll ask again: What "problems" do you have with other people's faith?

It's not that I gave a 'non answer' but that my answer was not understood.

The issue is not with what is wrong with someones faith, which may bring comfort, a sense of community, a sense of meaning, but the efficacy of faith as a means of sorting fact from fiction. The history of faith with its countless contradictory beliefs, religions, ideologies, testifies that faith is not a reliable means of discovery or determining truth.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

If your standard of proof is that everybody that benefits from the subject believes in it, as paddler stated, then you would believe equally in both theories.

By that standard, AGW is just as valid as the theory of evolution.

If paddler is to be believed, all evolutionists would also believe in AGW.

Course, we know where paddler stands:

Originally Posted by DBT
Political agenda may come into it, but the actual issue is carrying capacity of the planet given a population of 7 billion plus consuming resources at the rate of developed nations.

Developing nations have every right to lift the living standard of their own citizens, but the question is: is it ecologically sustainable in the long term? Never mind politics or 'left wing agenda' this is purely and simply about long term ecological sustainability.

That's ridiculous.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Hitchen's razor can be applied to those claims.

Apparently you don't consider what can be found through logic as "evidence." Apparently if A==B and B==C then A==C is drivel. Spock would disapprove.

Nope.

The law of non-contradiction is one of the three laws of logic.

The posted presupposed attributes of god were just unsupported assertions.

There's no equivalence between the two propositions.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
That's another problem, Jesus is said to have promised to return in power, come to judge the world within the lifetime of those standing before him. The first Christians waited for that event, but it did not happen.

Others who read the Bible say something different. You don't know what the first Christians did. Jesus said He would send the Holy Spirit. That happened.

The words say what they say and mean what they mean. The first Christians expected the return of Jesus In power within their lifetimes, as the words say and as promised. Check the history. It's there for anyone to see and read.

Ringman,

I'm disappointed in you.

Typically you don't misrepresent the contents of the Bible.

Page 34 of 117 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.