Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Graphic Video: Deputy Shoots Concealed Carrier Through a Window Inside His Own Home

Recently released bodycam footage shows that a sheriff’s deputy with the Greenville County, S.C., Sheriff’s Office shot and nearly killed a man who was standing inside his own home with the front door closed. The footage contradicts the initial statements from the sheriff’s office that claimed the man had opened the front door before pointing a gun at the deputy.

Sixty-two-year-old Dick Tench was woken up around midnight on June 14, 2019, by lights outside his home and a ringing doorbell. Tench retrieved his .38-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver and made his way to the front door, where he saw a man lurking on his front porch with a flashlight.

What he didn’t know is that just a few minutes prior the sheriff’s office had received a call from a medical alert service indicating that a resident of the home had triggered a silent alarm for help. A deputy responded to the location, who “rang the doorbell, but was unable to make contact with anybody inside,” according to Sheriff’s Office Capt. Tim Brown.

Brown explains that the deputy, who has not yet been identified, left the front porch to begin a perimeter check of the home, but noticed movement from inside and returned to the front door. The deputy noticed that a man inside the home was holding a gun, so he illuminated him with his flashlight. When he did so, Tench “pointed his gun” at the deputy and “in an effort to defend himself against a perceived threat, the deputy fired his issued weapon as he retreated off the porch, and subsequently struck the individual multiple times,” Brown says.

Tench was struck four times, according to Tench’s lawyer and NBC News. Tench had a bullet removed from his aorta and has a bullet that is lodged in his pelvis and will remain there. He was also grazed by bullets in the forearm and back, but has been released from the hospital and is expected to recover.

It’s unclear from the video whether the deputy identified himself before firing his weapon because the audio does not begin until 30 seconds into the segment. It’s also unclear from the video whether Tench actually raises his weapon because the glare on the window from the deputy’s flashlight makes it impossible to see through the window.

What is clear is that Tench had no idea who was ringing his doorbell and walking around his property.

“Who are you?!” Tench screams after being shot.

“The Sherriff’s office!” the officer responds.

“What are you here for?” Tench asks.

“Because we got an alarm call,” the officer says

“Oh, my God, call the cops please,” Tench answers.

“I am the cops,” the deputy responds.

The deputy asks Tench where the gun is, and Tench, who is on his knees, points to a handgun behind him.

“What the f— you doing, man?” Tench asks the deputy, as he bleeds through his shirt, the video shows.

“You pointed a gun at me, man,” the deputy answers.

“You’re in my house … I saw lights, and I heard the doorbell ring, and I got my gun. I’m a concealed-weapons guy. Get the ambulance here, I’m going to die, hurry,” Tench says. “You came to my house at 12 o’clock at night, I’m sleeping. [bleep], I’ve got to protect my house. Oh my God, get the ambulance right now, I’m going to die. You [bleep]—–, I can’t believe you do this to me, man!”

“OK, we’re not going to talk about this right now, we’re going to focus on keeping you alive, so take some deep breaths, and you’re going to be OK, alright,” the deputy says as he administers first aid.

SEE ALSO: Concealed Carry Holder Shoots, Kills Suspect Attacking Sheriff’s Deputy
Tench’s attorney, Beattie Ashmore, told NBC News on Tuesday that after the shooting, the sheriff’s office had a press conference and a Facebook post up “for weeks” which said “Dick opened the door and aimed at the deputy.”

The sheriff’s office has since released an apology and retraction of that statement.

“After a full internal investigation, this statement has proven to be inaccurate and we retract that portion of the original statement,” Lt. Jimmy Bolt with the Sheriff’s Office said in a prepared statement. “To be clear, at no time during the internal investigation did the Deputy make such a statement, it was miscommunicated that the door was opened. In the haste of releasing information, we erred and regret any confusion this has caused.”

Tench claims in the video that he doesn’t have any kind of alarm system in his house. Further investigation revealed that the alert was received from a medical assist app from an occupant inside the residence, Brown said. However, “there was no immediate emergency that was needed.”

Tench has not been charged with a crime.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...er-through-a-window-inside-his-own-home/

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If a civilian did that he would be in gaol.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Un-F'n believable.

LOL
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Guessing if the alert was from a cell phone app it probably came in with the cell number. Make a return call?? Nah, too simple. Lesson for cops but lesson for home owners too. I had a barely pre-dawn doorbell ring at our front entry much like the one on video. Approached cautiously, did a quick peek, and called out to the person on my porch. Teenager stranded without phone needing to call parents. Had a G23 in my hip pocket. Something similar should have happened here. Homeowner could have stepped back out of view until voice contact was made and identity established. Officer could have made a half step and been totally out of field of possible fire. Should never have fired. Never, not necessary. "Dispatch, can you make contact with resident at xxx xxxx xx to confirm". Nah, too easy.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cowardice and stupidity should be strictly for civilians.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Now days the police use hollow points.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Deputy must have wanted to make sure the medical alert that rolled him was legit. Good job, deputy, you stupid trigger happy murderous freak.

I hope the homeowner owns your ass for eternity and the city is renamed for him because he owns it, too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Now days the police use hollow points.

We were using HP's back in the early 80's.

There were still some cops carrying 158gr RNL bullets back then though. crazy

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I consider my concealed carry as a defensive weapon only.
If I use it to confront someone outside my home I'm in the wrong, am I not?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Deputy didn't appear to retreat - appeared to aim at resident and start shooting .
At the first glimpse of the residents firearm he could have jumped out of the line of fire - he didn't - he took the time to aim and fire then jump out of the way .
It's ok though when in doubt air some bullets out .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by colodog

Are you wrong to point it at somebody with a flashlight (presumably in your face) ringing the doorbell and on your front porch at midnight and you are inside your house? Were there any words or identification exchanged?
I'm glad I wasn't on either side of that mess.

Retired cat herder.

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

No one confronted anyone outside the home as best I could see.
Our front door had a panel you could see-thru. I put plastic so now it looks like a bathroom window, that allows light but not clear vision.

Aren't body cams and video recordings wonderful at finding the truth when liers lie.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What a disaster!

Yeah, that's a really bad idea, having that huge window next to the door. Instead, he should have a video monitor out there to see who's there. Or just don't answer it if after hours. Of course, the cop would likely have knocked the door in if he'd ignored the knock, thinking there was a victim inside.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem
Guessing if the alert was from a cell phone app it probably came in with the cell number. Make a return call?? Nah, too simple. Lesson for cops but lesson for home owners too. I had a barely pre-dawn doorbell ring at our front entry much like the one on video. Approached cautiously, did a quick peek, and called out to the person on my porch. Teenager stranded without phone needing to call parents. Had a G23 in my hip pocket. Something similar should have happened here. Homeowner could have stepped back out of view until voice contact was made and identity established. Officer could have made a half step and been totally out of field of possible fire. Should never have fired. Never, not necessary. "Dispatch, can you make contact with resident at xxx xxxx xx to confirm". Nah, too easy.
Run the intro again you've missed it twice.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Obama was quoted once..."the police acted stupidly"

If theyre out there looking for a guy with a heart attack button, and go into swat team mode?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Holy crap.

Pay attention.

You really ought to give the state their CCW back as well. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How many commenting here watched the video in it's entirety?

Not many it appears.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Obama was quoted once..."the police acted stupidly"

If theyre out there looking for a guy with a heart attack button, and go into swat team mode?

So it was a heart attack button that got the cop there? Missed that. I thought it was a general purpose emergency button. My 87 year old dad wears one of those around his neck, mainly in case he falls and can't get up, but for any reason whatsoever, if it constitutes an emergency. He's got a combination front door lock that the service knows and will tell to first responders, for if no one will come to the door.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our local deputies, when the pull into a driveway- turn their blue lights from blinkie strobe to just a solid bright LED blue. If one window curtain is peeled back, it would light up a whole lot of inside of the phooking house

I know, they have came my place now 3 times in the last 4 months.

Don't know what this cop did, must be a different protocol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow...speechless

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (7mm_Loco, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 17 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.