Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Woke up in the middle of the night to some big black fella pounding on the camper door hollering “sheriffs department, open up”. Middle of nowhere in the national forest in CO. He was dressed in cargo pants and a black shirt with no logos or identifying marks. He acted downright insulted when my old man asked to see some ID or a badge through the window.

Turns out he actually was a deputy and we talked to him after he produced a badge and ID, he was looking for some lost campers. But whether he knew it or not he had a M19 and a BHP trained on him through the windows until the ID situation got cleared up. And this was more than 15 years ago so this isn’t necessarily a new gig, at least no shooting took place from either side that night.

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kellory

I did, twice, before commenting. Both the alarm company, and police dispatch tried to contact the cell phone owner.
That leaves only the wellness check, which he tried to perform, and saw someone turn and point a gun at him. He responded.

From the article.

The footage contradicts the initial statements from the sheriff’s office that claimed the man had opened the front door before pointing a gun at the deputy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Our local deputies, when the pull into a driveway- turn their blue lights from blinkie strobe to just a solid bright LED blue. If one window curtain is peeled back, it would light up a whole lot of inside of the phooking house

I know, they have came my place now 3 times in the last 4 months.

Don't know what this cop did, must be a different protocol.

I'd get a different place if cops were showing up at my place once a month...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was a good shoot. The deputy just wanted to go home to his family that night.

Huh Lt Powell?

Because you know... those of us not licensed to shoot whomever don't understand.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
It was a good shoot. The deputy just wanted to go home to his family that night.

Huh Lt Powell?

Because you know... those of us not licensed to shoot whomever don't understand.

grin

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by slumlord
Our local deputies, when the pull into a driveway- turn their blue lights from blinkie strobe to just a solid bright LED blue. If one window curtain is peeled back, it would light up a whole lot of inside of the phooking house

I know, they have came my place now 3 times in the last 4 months.

Don't know what this cop did, must be a different protocol.

I'd get a different place if cops were showing up at my place once a month...

Half the family has a beacon attached so.......

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's a cop needs to sit in prison for a very long time.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH

I did, twice, before commenting. Both the alarm company, and police dispatch tried to contact the cell phone owner.
That leaves only the wellness check, which he tried to perform, and saw someone turn and point a gun at him. He responded.

From the article.

The footage contradicts the initial statements from the sheriff’s office that claimed the man had opened the front door before pointing a gun at the deputy.

Clearly, mistakes were made. the fact that the homeowner did not know he was dealing with the cops was critical. The sherriff did not identify himself or his office well enough for the existing conditions. The homeowner should have been more circumspect in his gun handhandling. He made himself a threat, without knowing what he was aiming at.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The cop was in the wrong.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SOOoooo, someone inside 'calls for help and hangs up', 'answering service' is unable to confirm the problem and passes info along to LEO.... LEO arrives, without a phouking clue as to what the emergency is, attempts to make contact and is faced with an armed man pointing a weapon at him.............

Bad crap can happen when you scream 'send help'............. and there's nothing wrong!!!!

IMHO!

Yes I watched it all.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Did the guy send an alarm? Or was it a glitch in his phone, pendant, or the answering service? He apparently didn't know he had sent one

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shootem
Guessing if the alert was from a cell phone app it probably came in with the cell number. Make a return call?? Nah, too simple. Lesson for cops but lesson for home owners too. I had a barely pre-dawn doorbell ring at our front entry much like the one on video. Approached cautiously, did a quick peek, and called out to the person on my porch. Teenager stranded without phone needing to call parents. Had a G23 in my hip pocket. Something similar should have happened here. Homeowner could have stepped back out of view until voice contact was made and identity established. Officer could have made a half step and been totally out of field of possible fire. Should never have fired. Never, not necessary. "Dispatch, can you make contact with resident at xxx xxxx xx to confirm". Nah, too easy.
Run the intro again you've missed it twice.

Further investigation revealed that the alert was received from a medical assist app from an occupant inside the residence, Brown said.

"Apps" to my knowledge generally apply to cell phones. Maybe this time not??

edit: No. Didn't watch all the LE dialog. So with the no answer scenario it all falls back on bad tactics by the victim and deputy.

Last edited by shootem; 08/04/19.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 6mmCreedmoor, 16 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.