Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Awesome news RH . . . motivating. BTW how tall are you?

I'm 6'1 30" waist 32 " inseam. I always thought I was 6'2 but must have shrank in the last 20 years.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To the OP,
Congrats on the weight loss, it is significant and took a lot of hard work. But now the real work is around the corner and that is keeping it off. Please come back in 12-24 months and tell us how you are doing.
Take care,

Please post a before and after photo.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
What I said was to please not start something that might cause you irreparable physical harm without consulting a medical professional. I'm surprised you'd take issue with that.

First, R.H, You da MAN!

Second, Rocky, respectfully, you are wrong.

The medical establishment has been woefully and delinquently misinformed about nutrition for over sixty years.

It was DOCTORS that told us to eat margarine. Doctors, told us to eat no more than an egg or two a week. Doctors told us to eat low fat, high carb diets. Doctors, and their advice, are a significant, if not majority, contributor to the obesity epidemic in this country.

Doctors are simply not competent when it comes to nutrition.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am a little late, but certainly congratulate you with the rest of the posters. Happy trails ahead.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My hat is off to you. What a great thing to do for yourself. Congratulations.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Potatoes, aww hell naw. That's a bridge too far.

LOL!

We all have our sacred cows..... When I started researching this low carb stuff, people were very enthusiastic about the Paleo diet. I got as far as "no dairy". Yeah, I'm Dutch, ain't no way I'm giving up cheese. Or cream. Or yoghurt. No paleo for me. Just lots of veggies, lots of fruit, lots of grass fed beef, chicken and fish.

Ain't no rocket science, but it's a bit of an adjustment. I mean, how do you make stroganoff without noodles?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats!! That takes a lot of desire and discipline. I know first hand. I lost 95 lbs in 2011. No special diet. I ate clean, whole, unprocessed foods that included carbs, dairy, and beer. Throw in some cardio, and weight training. I did restrict sugar and processed grains. I have managed to keep it off. I'm 60 and have never felt better.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There is no bigger believer in low carb diets than me.
I started May 20.
Lost 32 lbs.
I've done this a couple times before.

Before it was because it made me look better and feel better.

It's now a longevity change.

If you want to lose weight, there is no better option.
However, few people have the mental toughness to pull through it.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 6'2 34 x 36 inseam.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations, keep up thee good work.

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Couldn’t be happier for you, congratulations!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had full mouth dental implants done two months ago and with having to eat soft food for the first month I figured it would be a good time to try and lose some weight.
I lost 30 pounds the first month and 13 more last month.
Due to a slow healing foot injury during this same time period the weight loss was done with very little meaningful exercise. Just slowed the carb intake basically. I was amazed at how easy it was.
Still looking to drop some more

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Incredible! You're definitely an inspiration......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
What I said was to please not start something that might cause you irreparable physical harm without consulting a medical professional. I'm surprised you'd take issue with that.

First, R.H, You da MAN!

Second, Rocky, respectfully, you are wrong.

The medical establishment has been woefully and delinquently misinformed about nutrition for over sixty years.

It was DOCTORS that told us to eat margarine. Doctors, told us to eat no more than an egg or two a week. Doctors told us to eat low fat, high carb diets. Doctors, and their advice, are a significant, if not majority, contributor to the obesity epidemic in this country.

Doctors are simply not competent when it comes to nutrition.

One , Awesome f’n accomplishment, RH Clark. Here’s to many good years of enjoying life more than you might’ve anticipated.

Two, I don’t think people who’ve at least a modicum of fricken sense need to speak with their doctor before going on a diet. Any diet - that a reasonable person might adopt. Multitudes of harm greater is going on being overweight, or obese. Have worked in multiple systems as a family medicine doctor, and the only adverse outcome i can recall is a soldier who wanted to be superman, living on creatine, who bagged his kidneys. And that took work. Could youget a little hypoglycemic accidentally at times? Well, no chiit Sherlock.

Three, the merits of R H Clark’s cited diet should be plain. Fwiw, the speech i give patients overweight and/or diabetes is the same. “Look at carbs not so much as “bad,” as that they’re pure energy. Are you plowing fields today behind a horse? No? Don’t eat that stuff; it is pure energy, and otherwise contains NOTHING you need to live. The body does not assume you will eat tomorrow (though certainly, you will). If you didn’t metabolize it today, it will be stored as fat for a tomorrow. Don’t worry. Learning to accept feeling just “a little hungry,” is neither bad nor hard to to.” Until you look like a professional cyclist or body builder, this is what it comes down to. This mantra, combined with portion moderation, not being a smart ass and living on bacon and pork rinds, and even modest exercise daily, if calories out exceed calories in, anyone will net weight loss when compounded over time. You can interject whatever latest-fad voodoo you wish, but the above will remain true. Living on close to raw vegetables and modest meat intake is not radical. It’s “normal” imo. It’s just that “normal” for the human body is not culturally normal.

Four. Don’t so much as disagree with Dutch, as wish to clarify. Recall we had a week out of the first two years dedicated to nutrition focussed education, and doubt it was worth much. The balance was learned defacto through learning biochemistry pertinent to human/mammal metabolism; probably more valuable. Regardless, if a passel of busy body researchers issue a “consensus opinion” on fat, carbs, or lucky charm marshmellows, every f’n doctor is expected to take that into account in their advice to patients. Ergo, the margarine bs. You’d hope anyone with sense would be skeptical that factory made butter could be “healthier,” but, we were told to recommend it. P.s. i preach/preached moderation actual butter over excess of hydrogenated crap.

Five. So eat well. Something mediteranean-ish, low or at least modest in carbs. Go out and play - it’s only “exercise” if you have to measure it. Do follow your doctor’s advice on bp and cholesterol, at least “close enough”. And until the better mousetrap comes out, yeah, take your ace, statin, and if warranted aspirin too.

Free psa complete. GFY!

Again, kudos to R H Clark. Dammn amazing.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good stuff sand critter

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I tried intermittent fasting about 2.5 years ago. I did it for about 4-5 months and lost over 40 pounds. It felt good to me to let my system kind of clean itself out catch up on things. I wasn't really set in how I did it other than I tried to go over 16 hours or more if I could without eating anything. I then would just eat like I normally did for a meal or two or sometimes even a day or two and then did it again.

I kept the weight off for over a year but then I was taking a lot of prednisone and getting depomedrol and kenalog steroid shots and just started packing the weight back on. My arthritis was so bad I couldn't make it through a half day of work without steroids so I took too many of them and my weight came back. It's been even harder to lose weight lately than ever before.

My rheumatologist said he sees this with his lupus patients that have used a lot of steroids. He said he thinks the steroids mess with the liver and effects metabolism.

He wants me to do gastric sleeve but I tell him when I get off the prednisone I think I could loose it on my own because I've lost 50 before. He says that's great but you need to loose 100 this time so get the sleeve.

Pretty inspirational to see someone that was close to my size lost 150 in a year without taking a chance on a Mexico trip for a risky operation.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bb, sounds like you have a tough row to hoe.... Good luck to you. If nothing else, dropping the empty calories from carbs will make you feel better.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I tried intermittent fasting about 2.5 years ago. I did it for about 4-5 months and lost over 40 pounds. It felt good to me to let my system kind of clean itself out catch up on things. I wasn't really set in how I did it other than I tried to go over 16 hours or more if I could without eating anything. I then would just eat like I normally did for a meal or two or sometimes even a day or two and then did it again.

I kept the weight off for over a year but then I was taking a lot of prednisone and getting depomedrol and kenalog steroid shots and just started packing the weight back on. My arthritis was so bad I couldn't make it through a half day of work without steroids so I took too many of them and my weight came back. It's been even harder to lose weight lately than ever before.

My rheumatologist said he sees this with his lupus patients that have used a lot of steroids. He said he thinks the steroids mess with the liver and effects metabolism.

He wants me to do gastric sleeve but I tell him when I get off the prednisone I think I could loose it on my own because I've lost 50 before. He says that's great but you need to loose 100 this time so get the sleeve.

Pretty inspirational to see someone that was close to my size lost 150 in a year without taking a chance on a Mexico trip for a risky operation.

Bb

Hey my friend. I was right there close to where you are. My wife was starting to talk about us both possibly needing the gastric sleeve. Surgery terrifies me though. I've seen several people have health issues after getting some type stomach restricting surgery.I was taking 4 steroid shots every 3 months just to keep going and still in so much pain I had to take 4 pain pills a day. Even with the pain meds I was miserable most of the time and only got 3-4 hours sleep every night cause I hurt too bad to stay in bed.

I've had no pain now for months for the first time in over 20 years. For you I highly recommend intermittent fasting. Which means absolutely no calories of any kind for a min of 16 hours every day. even so 16 is only a magic number if you have been in ketosis for about 3 months. If you are burning carbs it takes about 24 hours to get into Autophagy.

The diet I would recommend however is not a super low carb diet. There are things like beans in this diet that will slow down ketosis but I think it's the best diet designed to heal the body. If I were in your shoes and know what I know now, I would eat a Nutritarian diet and fast 24 hours about 2 times a week.

Here are a couple links I highly recommend watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4katnfHzXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhzV-J1h0do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EklA1iI2Iy8

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
That's how much fat I've lost. I'm down to a solid 180 this morning. I'm pretty sure I posted about my first 20 lbs about this time last year. I did it by cutting out ALL sugar and ALL grain and potatoes. I don't eat anything,even ketchup if it has sugar in it. One other thing hat has really helped me in the last 6 months is intermittent fasting. After working up to it I only eat in a 4-6 hour window every day. Study something called autophagy to learn the benefits.

I have also done this healthy. I work out and ride a mountain bike about 50 or more miles every week. I am off 4 pain pills a day, 3 blood pressure meds, and 4 injections every 3 months. I keep BP checked and it is better than a teenagers now.

I'll get up some before and after pictures soon but wanted to let you guys know that complete transformation is possible. I started at 50 years old in a 4XL shirt and 48-32 pants. I now wear a small shirt and 30-32 jeans. I thought life was about over and I was about wore out at 50. Now at 51 I feel better than I did at 25. 6'2 and 180lbs,not too shabby.

That's impressive no doubt and congratulations for your will power and self control are in order for sure.

Metabolism is way different from person to person though. My mother-in-law and her sister are just the opposite of you. Any time I've seen them eat I'd say about 40% of their diet is dessert. In fact the sister says sugar is the reason for her longevity. She's 95 and the MIL is turning 90 this month. Both have been bean pole thin for the 40 years I've known them and their only health issue is macular degeneration. Their minds are sharp and quick. Neither of them have ever had any kind of an exercise program beyond an occasional stroll around the neighborhood and never strenuous enough to cause a bead of sweat. The sister's daughter has to work at keeping her cholesterol level UP to the normal range. She's a beanpole too who doesn't exercise.

Don't know how to explain it but these examples do exist. I acknowledge that sugar can be a demon for most people but it doesn't affect everyone like it does you. Glad you had the mental strength to overcome it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont think RHClark will have any trouble keeping the weight off because he changed the way he eats. He also has stated in the past he doesnt mind eating like he is now and has a very diverse diet. This isnt a guy who starved himself for a year just waiting to pigout on pizza and pasta.
He is also now exercising which helps. Good job and enjoy your new lease on life.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 12344mag, 16gage, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 3,122 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,964
Posts18,519,505
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.