Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
WhiteFawn

I'll copy a post I just made on another forum here. I think it's hugely important to think about the way we have come to think of the word "HEALTHY" and what it really means.Thin doesn't necessarily mean healthy at all,and neither does long life,though it's more difficult to live a long unhealthy life,than a long healthy one. Personally,I am simply amazed at how my own perceptions of health has changed.

The most eye opening thing is how my perception of what,or who is healthy has changed. I look at pictures of friends I always thought of as thin,and I see them with an unhealthy gut. I'm not anorexic either. I have ate every time I was hungry and I've never been hungry on this diet. I simply live off about 70% raw,fresh green vegetables, and very little high quality meats like sardines, Salmon, lean beef, turkey, and some pork, I can definitely tell the difference when I eat too much meat or particularly too much pork.

Anyway,back to my health observations.

I recently heard that over 80% of Americans consider themselves healthy with 2 or more of the top 10 killer diseases. The study concluded that Americans consider their comfort as health. As long as they feel like doing what they want to do,they think they are healthy. The problem is that most of what we want to do is sit,drink beer,and watch TV.

The way I'm starting to look and feel is alien to most people. I've heard several rumors that I have cancer. My wife has been asked twice if I've become anorexic. In reality my muscle tone and skin appearance has only improved. I don't look sick.I look healthy,which I've come to realize is a completely foreign concept to most people where I live because they don't see many really healthy people. If I'm bragging at all I'm bragging on the Lord. He is the one who has guided me every step and I could preach about that for hours,but I digress.

When I started at 330lbs I thought if I could just get to 230 I would look fantastic. The thing is though that I don't have and have never really had a target weight. I just eat perfect,and get lots and lots of exercise,with good rest as well, and it all happens.

I just thought a while ago that I am now at 180 and still dropping while at the same time getting stronger.faster,and seemingly younger in every way! It really is freaking AMAZING to me! I am very close to L sits and fully suspended push ups. I mean doing pushups with nothing touching but your hands,but still in a horizontal position. I can do 25 on one toe holding about 20 lbs on that toe.

What I'm saying is that my perception of what a man is supposed to be able to do at a certain age has changed completely! I realize I've wasted 20 years and can't get them back! I'm begging you guys not to do the same thing I did ,and waste all those years!
Do some youtube searching of amazing people,and you can see what is really possible. I'm starting to believe nearly anything is possible,and more importantly I am beginning to see just how poor,sick,broken,and crippled,most us us are and we didn't even know it! I think Jesus told some folks that same thing a while back.

God bless you all!

Boarmaster
That has been the goal my friend. How well I've done it has changed as I've increased my knowledge in those areas,but that is the goal.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/03/19.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you RH!

It sounds like you got your life back.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't speak directly for 'Clark but I bet that my experience ditching grains last August and diving into fasting is very similar to his experience.

Being on Keto between 1998 and 2018 always left me wanting or *craving* to *eat*, even after losing 50+ several times I always gravitated back to carbs and in reality, the grains in carbs.

After ditching grains I have no urge to eat bread, potatoes, grits, chips, pasta, fries or all the other food I craved that are based on grains.

Honestly, I have no urge to eat.

I believe that being off grains, and it is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change and the first in my life made fasting very easy because I am not hungry, tired, sleepy or without energy.

I am on day two of a four day fast and have had two cups of no fat chicken broth, several cappuccinos and gallons of water, black coffee and Gatorade Zero and feel fantastic. I chose a true fast for a few days to break what may be a plateau at 222-224, I am 217 this morning and the lowest I have been since 2008.

I typically work 7am-5pm but was up yesterday at 3am for a 4am pour with about 4hrs sleep, worked until 11am, tried to sleep from 11am to 2pm but could not sleep.

I went out and rode 5 miles on the mountain bike in 30 minutes and never felt better and I was hammering on the hills.

I need to lose fat for sure, and ditching grains will get me to the best condition of my life soon enough, the goal of fasting is to reverse diabetes.

This thread is not about me and I apologize for the derail 'Clark, hopefully these examples will help others take a shot at what sure looks like the *best* way to to live.

Dave

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
What I said was to please not start something that might cause you irreparable physical harm without consulting a medical professional. I'm surprised you'd take issue with that.

Good advice Rocky. If you are on potassium or calcium supplement and increase or decrease due to a radical diet change, you could cause problems. Even a credentialed nutritionist would be a great resource to consult before you start. I don't see where any doc or nutritionist would have a problem with cutting out sugar.

I've talked to licensed and credentialed nutritionists in some of the biggest medical centers in this country for the last 30 years. They are great people to have on your team if you are in a post surgical state in the ICU with major catabolism, BUT, if you are looking to do what RH has done, these are not the people. 99% of them think you should eat low fat, high carb garbage. I know cause I talk to them all the time.

They don't know any better. I don't blame them, that's what they've been taught, by the schools and grants that are funded by the sugar industry.

Drop carbs and lose weight. It's that simple.

TimberRunner nailed it, the medical community is being taught a food pyramid that is basically making people sick. RH Clark is not on any fad diet, he is eating lots of vegetables and meat, exactly what we are designed to eat. I know several people and family members that have started "living" this way and they have all dropped to a healthy weight, gotten off all their medications and had their blood work and vitals go to near perfect. The amount of sugar we are pumping into people in this country, mostly through processed foods, is alarming once you learn what it's effects on the human body are. Congrats to you RH Clark, and I know you won't be going back.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m eager to see the pics, you added years to your life!

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I enjoy salads, carrots, green peppers, broccoli and asparagus but can't imagine 70% of my diet coming from vegetables. What vegetables are you eating and how are you getting so many into your daily routine? Also, do you take vitamin C or just eat an apple/orange every once in a while?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I enjoy salads, carrots, green peppers, broccoli and asparagus but can't imagine 70% of my diet coming from vegetables. What vegetables are you eating and how are you getting so many into your daily routine? Also, do you take vitamin C or just eat an apple/orange every once in a while?

basically every green vegetable I can find and lots of bright colored ones like peppers.

I eat lots of Kale in shakes as well as lightly cooked. Last night's supper was Kale and chard lightly cooked in coconut oil with some green onions and ground turkey that I had previously cooked in onions and garlic. Then a bit later I has a second meal of the day of lintels that I had cooked in about 50% cabbage and lintels in a crock pot with onions garlic I chopped up a bunch of fresh red onions in the beans and cabbage and chopped some fresh broclli in there for some crunch. I cooked all the good out of the cabbage in the crock pot but added in the fresh raw onions and broccoli.

As to your answer for vitamin c I would have no qualms eating an apple or an orange. I would not however drink juice of either. If however my goal was weight loss I would avoid them and no matter my goals I still think fruit should basically be treated like people ate candy treats back in the 40's, only occasionally.

You don't have to eat oranges

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/top-10-low-carb-and-keto-sources-of-vitamin-c

I eat all these.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RH's losing 150 lbs weight loss without starvation, without the need for body altering gastric bypass surgery, and while eating vegetables, meats, healthy grains, etc., speaks for itself. Someone would have to explain how not eating for 18-20 hours is damaging our organs or bodies anymore than not eating for the 12 to 14 hours between dinner and breakfast is. And certainly explain how it is more harmful than being 50lbs, 100lbs, or 150lbs overweight. That is the crap that is almost certain to kill most carrying that kind of weight in their 40's and 50's...or 60's if one is lucky. And that is about what it amounts to. An extra 6 hours a day of not eating. Because I no longer eat dinner at 6pm and stop eating for the night until I eat the next morning or lunch. I now eat dinner. Then I snack on some almonds or crackers, or peppers, hummus and salsa. Then later a bowl of grapes or fruit. All spaced out over about 4 hours.

Somehow I think the human body is resilient enough to be able to withstand an extra 6 hours a day without eating, and without destroying itself. Especially when there is a large amount of reserves for it to function off of. Now if you didn't have those reserves (fat), then you'd likely certainly at some point do some damage when body fat percentage dropped too low. But if you ate enough daily calories to maintain weight during that window, I bet you'd be just fine. But that could be a feat, taking in 2500 calories of good (not junk) food in 4 hours.

The thing I've found with this 18 or so hour daily fasting, is I want for nothing. Sure, a BLT at lunch would be great. But there is a big difference between the momentary discomfort of not eating lunch but then being able to completely satisfy any hunger or cravings I have at dinner, versus month after month after month of missing "something" all the time. If you follow some of the "wisdom" such as "eat small meals every 3 hours" or that kind of nonsense, my meals are small and I miss ever feeling satisfied. If I'm cutting out carbs, I miss being able to snack on a damn cracker, having something sweet, or have some potatoes with my breakfast every once in a while. While Atkins worked for me for years, I found if I even splurged once a week with a moderate amount of carbs at a sitting (we're talking 40-60 carbs, not wolfing down a bag of chips), my weight loss was stalled for a week. And I was always looking forward to getting to goal weight, so I could start eating things I was missing again. Inevitably, the weight would come back. Because I was always waiting for that goal where I could "eat normal" again.

The discontent that comes with continued, long term depriving of cravings and not feeling satisfied has always been an issue for me, no matter what diet I did, and always led me back to over indulgence in whatever I'd been denying myself, and weight gain after a loss. Until now. And it won't be long before I have to start working back in some small lunches in order to maintain weight and fuel some muscle building. I'm but 8lbs off what I consider my ideal weight. Last week I got a comment that I was too thin and needed to put some weight on, and another person I hadn't seen in over a year said "wow, you are thin, you look great.....wait, you aren't sick are you?" I asked why they thought that. Well, in over 20 years of working with these people, they'd never seen me this thin, and some know I was out for a week with the heart issue. They are stumped and some are concerned by the weight loss. I'm not. I've lost 50 lbs in the last 18 months. An average of 3/4 lb a week, a perfectly healthy and sustainable rate of loss. The weight loss appears drastic and sudden because I haven't seen many of these people in a year. But it has been far from drastic or sudden.

I now live by what my cardiologist told me 10 months ago. You don't have to deny yourself much of anything, but everything in moderation.

If intermittent fasting is bad for me, so be it. Everything else I've tried in over 30 years had me on a table at 52 yrs old (same age my grandfather died from a massive heart attack) with a dangerously clogged widowmaker artery last year. If I die, it won't be because I am fat anymore, or constantly in a cycle where I'm losing and gaining. In over 30 years of always feeling overweight and like I needed to at least "lose a few", everything I've tried always left me wanting, and led me back to a bad place. I simply am not left wanting anymore, so I feel this will stick for good. And it feels nearly effortless.

Last edited by DaveR; 08/03/19.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
An amazing story, and a very timely one. I started the journey almost a month ago, and still trying to figure it out. Lot's of good information here. This morning I was at 339.8 which is a milestone for me and don't remember the last time I was that low. One of my problems that I am dealing with is I am probably one of the pickiest eaters on the fire. It not only doesn't taste good, it doesn't smell good and I can't eat it. I am using protein drink in place of heavy meats. The heavy meats, beef, even pork and some turkey, leaves me feeling bloated. I book marked this, because I know I will need to go back and read it every so often and get the encouragement and motivation that is given.

For those who have lost a tremendous amount weight, how have you dealt with the lose skin? 150 pounds in a year is a dramatic weight loss. I hope I can do the same thing, but I also have seen people do that and know what they go through with the hanging skin. Can I get some input from someone who has dealt with it?

Thanks for the education.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thats awesome! I personally avoid sugars and certain carbs but I mainly do a genetic based diet and feel great on it. I knew certain foods made me sluggish and once I made those changes it was an immediate feeling of well being. Keep up the good work!

MAGA! This is the way!
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Jim
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
RH Clark, Thanks for the links, I watched all 3. I started feeling optimistic and finding some hope again that I could do a lot on my own despite my health and mobility issues.

How would you suggest getting started? Kind of wanting to ease into it at first and implement things as I go. If you were to advise a few things to just start with what would they be? I'm currently in the worst shape of my life, completely overwhelmed with arthritis pain, and physically limited. I get very little sleep due to pain. I had to stop my humira lately due to some side effects and everything is hitting with a vengeance. Plus I'm taking too much prednisone again

Thanks, your story has given me much needed hope at a time when my Drs are only recommending gastric sleeve and more meds.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/03/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
An amazing story, and a very timely one. I started the journey almost a month ago, and still trying to figure it out. Lot's of good information here. This morning I was at 339.8 which is a milestone for me and don't remember the last time I was that low. One of my problems that I am dealing with is I am probably one of the pickiest eaters on the fire. It not only doesn't taste good, it doesn't smell good and I can't eat it. I am using protein drink in place of heavy meats. The heavy meats, beef, even pork and some turkey, leaves me feeling bloated. I book marked this, because I know I will need to go back and read it every so often and get the encouragement and motivation that is given.

For those who have lost a tremendous amount weight, how have you dealt with the lose skin? 150 pounds in a year is a dramatic weight loss. I hope I can do the same thing, but I also have seen people do that and know what they go through with the hanging skin. Can I get some input from someone who has dealt with it?

Thanks for the education.

I started learning about autophagy when I was looking for solutions to loose skin. I've been doing it about 6 months,that is trying to stay in that state of autophagy some every day. I have some lose skin but nothing like what I've seen on other people who have lost this amount. I am also confident that my body will eat all that skin given the correct motivation. I won't lose muscle either since our bodies are smart enough to burn excess skin before valuable muscle.

It's a lot but educate yourself as much as possible on health and nutrition.I mean today's knowledge . Not the stupid government's recommendations,or criminal recommendations would be more accurate when you learn the truth. Learn what is working well for other people and use good sense. You might lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies for 3 months if your caloric intake was less on Twinkies. Problem is that in 3 months you would be built out of Twinkies,and how healthy can that really be? Use good sense but experiment with what works best for you as well. You may not be able to eat dairy or dairy might work fine for your body. I'm talking specifically about foods that are known to be possible problematic,not whether anyone should have some of the poison called sugar..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
That's how much fat I've lost. I'm down to a solid 180 this morning. I'm pretty sure I posted about my first 20 lbs about this time last year. I did it by cutting out ALL sugar and ALL grain and potatoes. I don't eat anything,even ketchup if it has sugar in it. One other thing hat has really helped me in the last 6 months is intermittent fasting. After working up to it I only eat in a 4-6 hour window every day. Study something called autophagy to learn the benefits.

I have also done this healthy. I work out and ride a mountain bike about 50 or more miles every week. I am off 4 pain pills a day, 3 blood pressure meds, and 4 injections every 3 months. I keep BP checked and it is better than a teenagers now.

I'll get up some before and after pictures soon but wanted to let you guys know that complete transformation is possible. I started at 50 years old in a 4XL shirt and 48-32 pants. I now wear a small shirt and 30-32 jeans. I thought life was about over and I was about wore out at 50. Now at 51 I feel better than I did at 25. 6'2 and 180lbs,not too shabby.

Congratulations, you're hard work and sacrifice has paid off.... stud.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I weighed myself today at 226.
I'm 6"2
I was 260 on May 20th.

Low carb is the way to go....

Proud NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The loose skin thing is interesting.

I think a lot of people having surgery for weight loss suffer this, but those who do it through nutrition have a balanced shift.

This story of this Scotsman who didn't eat for over a year is very interesting. He apparently had no skin correction, I'm not sure that was even an option in the late 60's.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-true-story-of-a-man-who-survived-without-any-food-for-382-days

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great job Mr. Clark! I started my low carb lifestyle in 2012 at 292lbs. I now am a solid 228lbs. I feel so much better that it's amazing. never starved myself ever. No pasta, bread, or potatoes. 5 days a week in the gym. I'm 59 and feel better than I did when I was 40.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Here's the thing guys. Some dietary things are a given. For instance,any diet that includes sugar would just be stupid when you educate yourself about what sugar really is and what it does. There's good information about grain and diary and how it effects some people. I quit the grains for max weight loss and super low inflammation because of the back and knee issues I had,

All during this journey I have added and subtracted things from my diet. You have to only add one or take away one thing for about 3 days to see if you have a food allergy or intolerance in some way to that one food. An example is that I cut out milk and tomatoes because milk made me bloated and sluggish and tomatoes caused arthritis pain in my hands and some in my knees. In that way,you have to experiment with even healthy considered foods.

At first I was all max weight loss which may not be the best way to go but my best advice is to listen to your body the whole time. When you start to feel like exercise,you have to push yourself some to get any gain but don't try to kill your old fat self. At least that has been my approach. I do a lot and push myself a little more all the time. I did somewhere close to 20 miles on the mountain bike a few days ago back in the Forrest on a closed dirt road. When I started though ,I stopped before I would pass out or that vein in my neck told me to,LOL.

Point being,listen to your body and keep it monitored.I can't stress that enough. KEEP IT MONITORED, and I mean every aspect. If you aren't crapping enough get a bunch of raw kale and spinach in there. I weigh every day cause I want to know how different foods and amounts effect my progress in every way. A for instance there is that I am now eating a lot more beans. They give me good energy and at my fat content now the extra carbs are fine if I eat them before a ride.

I have kept my blood pressure and all my vitals monitored very closely.basically because I quit 3 blood pressure meds one at a time. Just know that it's a long haul. If you COMPLETELY STOP ALL SUGAR AND ALL GRAIN AND ALL POTATOES< you will lose weight. The first month was slow for me but after 3 months I got a boost of energy from my cells changing to fat burners and I lost the cravings for food. Those first 3 months are everything.

I said to myself that I could stand on my head in hell for 3 months. I was pretty much in hell anyway with constant pain that I couldn't get away from. I mean I'm tough but damn. I know how you feel guys. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People fail at low carb diets because their willpower fails and they cheat with occasional carbs thinking that just one little cheat isn't going to hurt, but it keeps their body from ever going into ketosis, killing the entire theory of the low carb diet.

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 52 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,688
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.