-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The exercise component of weight loss tends to be overlooked. Note that the OP talked about it up front. In 2008, my wife lost 90+pounds in a year. Working out, walking and weights helped her a lot. She is still a size 4, and still a gym rat.
Me? Not so much. 😜

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I agree Mannlicher, I do 30 minutes on the elliptical machine 5 days a week plus a half hour of weight training. It makes a big difference. But, you can't overcome a crappy diet by exercising. I'm also a type II diabetic. A1C is now between 5.9 and 6.4 with good cholesterol numbers. This is going to be my diet/lifestyle until I'm in the grave God willing.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The exercise component of weight loss tends to be overlooked. Note that the OP talked about it up front. In 2008, my wife lost 90+pounds in a year. Working out, walking and weights helped her a lot. She is still a size 4, and still a gym rat.
Me? Not so much. 😜

I would agree with you but I think it's important to note that exercise,at least in the way healthy people think of exercise, is nearly too much when you are 100 lbs or more over weight. If I got an obese person to go all out and try to do what I do now,they would likely see it as too much and too hard,especially when they couldn't move the next day.

I lost about 60 lbs before I started exercising in any significant way. At the very first I just basically walked and wouldn't sit down to watch TV at all. I tried to stay busy with little projects around the house and that was my exercise when I first started.

The first time I got on my elliptical,I couldn't even stay on it a full minuet without being out of breath. Now my time is only limited by my schedule. I usually ride it 45 minuets to an hour,but I've pretty much given it up for the mountain bike now. The mountain bike does my body better and is 100 times more fun. I think of it as play exercise.

The first time I got in the floor and tried leg raises,I managed 3. My last milestone was 250 in sets of 50.

All i want to say really is don't let the exercise side of the equation get you down too much if your age or health doesn't allow very much. All your body needs in the way of exercise is to do more than it's accustomed to doing. How much that is will just depend on your fitness level. If you can't wall a mile don't fret it and get disgusted with yourself and eat a candy bar to fell better. Just walk 100 yards if that's all you can manage,rest 24 hours and walk 150 yards the next time. If 3 leg raises are all you can do,just do them wait one day and try for 4 the next time.

Nutrition,exercise and rest are all the body needs to perform well. Every time you exercise just try to do a little more than last time. Give those muscles 24 hours ,or maybe more if you are older, to recover. Give them the nutrition to grow,and then do a little more than you did the last work out. Obviously the levels of what you are doing will increase as you get more and more fit. That's one reason I like the bike so much now. 3 hours on the mountain bike is much more fun than trying to do different cardio,arm and leg work outs for 3 hours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Here's the thing guys. Some dietary things are a given. For instance,any diet that includes sugar would just be stupid when you educate yourself about what sugar really is and what it does. There's good information about grain and diary and how it effects some people. I quit the grains for max weight loss and super low inflammation because of the back and knee issues I had,

All during this journey I have added and subtracted things from my diet. You have to only add one or take away one thing for about 3 days to see if you have a food allergy or intolerance in some way to that one food. An example is that I cut out milk and tomatoes because milk made me bloated and sluggish and tomatoes caused arthritis pain in my hands and some in my knees. In that way,you have to experiment with even healthy considered foods..

I'm at this stage now, and I'm struggling with it. There is a bewildering array of foods that "could" be inflammatory. Nightshades, tomatoes, dairy, eggs, wheat, the list is huge. I've been disappointed that my inflammation issues (tendonitis, mostly) that went away at first are coming back. Part of that is being a stubborn old farmer and still working 10-12 hrs of physical days, but part of it is that I'm eating something that's not agreeing with me. Unfortunately, I still need over 6,000 calories a day to keep up with my burn rate, and I'm having a hard time cutting anything without running into a calorie deficit. I just need to find the patience to be able to put my finger on the culprit.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A weight loss program needs balance and thought. Exercise, your diet, lifestyle change and will power all are important. One component may be needed more than another, depending on many variables. We are all different, and approach the task with different health issues, different metabolism, and different goals. And different reasons. One size does not fit all.
I am comfortable and happy with my 230 pounds on a 6’2” frame.

Sam......

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dutch. If you really want to isolate a food,only eat meat and water for a week. Then add in one different food,wait 3 days of eating just meat and that one food and see how it does you. Some food allergies take 72 hours to manifest and it is extremely difficult to isolate if you have a very diverse diet.

One word of caution on meat only. Get plenty of fat with it and you might want to take a fiber drink with it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Me? Not so much. 😜

I would agree with you but I think it's important to note that exercise,at least in the way healthy people think of exercise, is nearly too much when you are 100 lbs or more over weight. If I got an obese person to go all out and try to do what I do now,they would likely see it as too much and too hard,especially when they couldn't move the next day.

I lost about 60 lbs before I started exercising in any significant way. At the very first I just basically walked and wouldn't sit down to watch TV at all. I tried to stay busy with little projects around the house and that was my exercise when I first started.

The first time I got on my elliptical,I couldn't even stay on it a full minuet without being out of breath. Now my time is only limited by my schedule. I usually ride it 45 minuets to an hour,but I've pretty much given it up for the mountain bike now. The mountain bike does my body better and is 100 times more fun. I think of it as play exercise.

The first time I got in the floor and tried leg raises,I managed 3. My last milestone was 250 in sets of 50.

All i want to say really is don't let the exercise side of the equation get you down too much if your age or health doesn't allow very much. All your body needs in the way of exercise is to do more than it's accustomed to doing. How much that is will just depend on your fitness level. If you can't wall a mile don't fret it and get disgusted with yourself and eat a candy bar to fell better. Just walk 100 yards if that's all you can manage,rest 24 hours and walk 150 yards the next time. If 3 leg raises are all you can do,just do them wait one day and try for 4 the next time.

Nutrition,exercise and rest are all the body needs to perform well. Every time you exercise just try to do a little more than last time. Give those muscles 24 hours ,or maybe more if you are older, to recover. Give them the nutrition to grow,and then do a little more than you did the last work out. Obviously the levels of what you are doing will increase as you get more and more fit. That's one reason I like the bike so much now. 3 hours on the mountain bike is much more fun than trying to do different cardio,arm and leg work outs for 3 hours.

It's tough enough to stick to a diet that's a major change from what a person is used to. Adding exercise at the same time (that a person's not used to) can lead to more hunger....and the person feeling more tired....than the diet alone. I think both are important but making a major change of both at the same time may be the reason a lot of people drop out of their plan. I like the way R H did it with the focus on diet first, then after seeing positive results and getting used to the change, adding in the exercise component. I think it both can be done at the same time but it may be tougher for some people to stick to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dutch. If you really want to isolate a food,only eat meat and water for a week. Then add in one different food,wait 3 days of eating just meat and that one food and see how it does you. Some food allergies take 72 hours to manifest and it is extremely difficult to isolate if you have a very diverse diet.

One word of caution on meat only. Get plenty of fat with it and you might want to take a fiber drink with it.

I get that, but inflammation is one of those slow responders, and it just takes quite a bit of time to get it figured out. Took me 53 years to figure out wheat gives me the runs.... lol!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dutch

I get that, but inflammation is one of those slow responders, and it just takes quite a bit of time to get it figured out. Took me 53 years to figure out wheat gives me the runs.... lol!

Inflamation in general is also caused by insulin,and particularly when insulin is released many times during the day. Frequent meals would be an example and particularly high carb and high sugar frequent meals and snacks. These constantly spike blood sugar and cause insulin to be released. insulin is the fat storage hormone. Too much insulin and the body will develop resistance which can wind up as metabolic syndrome or diabetes. Even if you don't get those constant insulin causes inflammation,which is the root cause of the top killers in the US.

You can stop this cycle by training yourself to only eat during a 4-6 hour window every day with absolutely no calories in at all otherwise. It's not that difficult when you start controlling the constant sugar spikes and low sugar drops that high carb and high sugar diets cause.That is the reason people get weak and hungry so often. It's because of the up and down spikes. I rode over 10 miles the other day after working in the yard all day. the ride was about 4 hours long and I broke a 22 hour fast at the half way mark with a can of sardines. I had phenomenal energy all day and all that ride and only ate a salad when I got home. I am also lifting more repetitions on heavier weights while eating like this and getting thinner and weighing less all the time. It's kind of freaking amazing but it is nothing but doing what you are supposed to do rather than what is easy, and feels good,and that's it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anyone else think we need to have this made into a sticky...or...a diet and exercise forum? Old, fat guys like me need some motivation to continue with a weight loss and exercise program.

β€œMy horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So glad you did this! Post the fuggin before and after already!,,,

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This definitely needs to be a sticky!!! Anyone have any pull with Rick?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[

Inflamation in general is also caused by insulin,and particularly when insulin is released many times during the day. Frequent meals would be an example and particularly high carb and high sugar frequent meals and snacks. These constantly spike blood sugar and cause insulin to be released. insulin is the fat storage hormone. Too much insulin and the body will develop resistance which can wind up as metabolic syndrome or diabetes. Even if you don't get those constant insulin causes inflammation,which is the root cause of the top killers in the US.

When I first went low carb six months ago, the inflammation went down, as expected. I'm not extreme low carb (keto) anymore, as I've added things like zucchini, beans, and some fruit, but compared to the SAD, I'm extremely low carb. I have never eaten any significant amount of simple sugars (no soda, no sugar, no pies, cakes or any processed foods). When I check out of the grocery store, the only thing with a brand name on it is my yoghurt and herbal tea.

Something is getting me, and I'm starting to suspect it may be the eggs.

Lord, please don't let it be the cheese.... wink

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Toddly
So glad you did this! Post the fuggin before and after already!,,,

I wish I could buddy. I lost all my old stuff from photobucket and don't have anything on the computer. I don't own a cell. My daughter was supposed to load some pictures for me today but cut out early one me, Soon I promise. I'll update the title if it will let me as soon as I post the before and after.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
[

When I first went low carb six months ago, the inflammation went down, as expected. I'm not extreme low carb (keto) anymore, as I've added things like zucchini, beans, and some fruit, but compared to the SAD, I'm extremely low carb. I have never eaten any significant amount of simple sugars (no soda, no sugar, no pies, cakes or any processed foods). When I check out of the grocery store, the only thing with a brand name on it is my yoghurt and herbal tea.

Something is getting me, and I'm starting to suspect it may be the eggs.

Lord, please don't let it be the cheese.... wink

I don't really do keto though most days I am just as low carb. i do eat beans because of the health benefits and some fruits for the same reasons. the main thing that I think helps me is the 16- 20 hour fast every day. That keeps insulin out of my system all those hours.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I got on the scale today...Im at 224...down from 260 on May 22.
I'm feeling great.

Proud NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Reducing diet influenced inflammation doesn't equate to being pain free. Old injuries, hard exercise etc will cause us old fuggers to ache a bit. Reducing the burden that your old carcass has to haul around and increasing your strength and flexibility is the goal, not just aesthetics.

Anyone that can do enough work to burn 6000 calories a day will probably feel a little soreness and fatiguegrin that is getting after it.

I have found that going from 1-2 drinks/beers/day to the same /week has had major benefits, I definitely sleep better. The effort is definitely worth it.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of you fellas try the β€œ8 hour diet”? You basically fast for 16 hours and only eat during an 8 hour period.

It’s rather interesting.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good for you...it's probably like you dropped and anvil out of your pocket...

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Any of you fellas try the β€œ8 hour diet”? You basically fast for 16 hours and only eat during an 8 hour period.

It’s rather interesting.

Never heard of it...I wonder if 'clark knows about it crazy

Dave

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,959
Posts18,519,447
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.