Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
While I'm primarily a meat eater, I will eat fake meat on occasion (long story, it has to do with being a JOOOO) and I've heard a lot about how good the new fake meats are. So today, I grabbed a package of Beyond Meat and made it for dinner.

While they utterly failed at creating an alternative to meat, they did an amazing job of creating a rubber substitute. I tasted the stuff raw, I tasted it when it first started to cook, I tasted it when it was done cooking. Each time, it was rubber. Flavorless rubber.

It's not even close to the existing fake meats, which often are not at all bad if you understand that it's not trying to taste like meat. Beyond Meat is pretty much inedible. The dog sniffed it and ate it, but it was like he was eating something he didn't really want. To test him, I took out a piece of the last cow we had slaughtered (sirloin, smoked last week) and he basically bit my hand off getting to it.

This stuff is fit for neither man nor dog.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good man!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Say....how come you have to abstain from meat....or eat fake meat?

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you use lube?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I'm not the most observant person around, but I stick to the biblical elements of dietary restrictions. That means no pork, no shellfish and no mixing of dairy and meat. The biggest problem is the last one, cause lots of meat dishes have some form of dairy in them (whether it's a cheeseburger or even something as simple as milk in the bread that goes along with meat). I usually can get around it by either ordering something without the cheese or asking to have sauces left off, but if I'm in a hurry and I just need to grab something to eat, the fake meat is the easy answer.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WTF is fake meat made of? As a competition steak and bbq cook you can imagine I have never heard of such nonsense.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Remsen

I'm not the most observant person around, but I stick to the biblical elements of dietary restrictions. That means no pork, no shellfish and no mixing of dairy and meat. The biggest problem is the last one, cause lots of meat dishes have some form of dairy in them (whether it's a cheeseburger or even something as simple as milk in the bread that goes along with meat). I usually can get around it by either ordering something without the cheese or asking to have sauces left off, but if I'm in a hurry and I just need to grab something to eat, the fake meat is the easy answer.

Interesting. Thanks.

Opens up a whole 'nother raft of questions! I suspect this is not the venue.

My dad talks about not being able to eat meat on Friday's.

Something about Lent too......I think.

We never did any of that stuff when I was a kid. Not sure if anyone does anymore.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Did you use lube?

Some schmaltz maybe!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
Did you use lube?

Some schmaltz maybe!

LOL!!!!! It is slick!!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No who’s being sentimental...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Remsen

Interesting. Thanks.

Opens up a whole 'nother raft of questions! I suspect this is not the venue.

My dad talks about not being able to eat meat on Friday's.

Something about Lent too......I think.

We never did any of that stuff when I was a kid. Not sure if anyone does anymore.

I think the pope waived that rule.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well who in the hell does he think he is??

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
🤣🤣

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're thinking of no meat Fridays, originally started to support Peter the fisherman and his buddies. whistle Wasn't much of a penance in modern times, when I was a kid we'd go out for shrimp or something nice. Was said to have more meaning in Medieval times. But fast and abstinence rules still apply during Lent, not so much penance but as a reminder to examine your life.

Personally I'd have a hard time with the dairy/meat law. My buddy Jim would forgo pork but I don't think a nice, juicy cheeseburger.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fake meat is becoming big business.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not in South Dakota! laugh

Does it pollute less per pound than those farting cows?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think it’s made from pea protein. I tried it once, tasted boring.

SD is vegetarian. I make things with Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP). Made from soy. Comes as dry granules but once you reconstitute it with boiling water it turns out like ground beef. You can flavour it with artificial soup base and it’s not bad.

Wife is Russian Orthodox. They have four fasting periods in the year, the longest being Lent. For most, that’s no meat or dairy, though some will eat fish. She gets dispensation from her priest to have meat because of some dietary issues.

AFA fasting, it means abstaining from pleasurable things, too. Most include chocolate and alcohol, some go so far as to abstain from sex. I told her that wasn’t happening and it’s not been an issue, except in the three days she fasts prior to going to confession, which is only every 6-8 weeks..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing so simple but I forgot, haft Google it. Can't sleep anyway. Standby.

Impossible Foods says 21 ingredients, this is among the top five:

"Impossible Foods uses genetic engineering to make ingredients that are essential to the taste and texture of its plant-based meat substitute: soy leghemoglobin (also known as heme) and soy protein. Soy protein replaced wheat protein as the main base for Impossible's second recipe, while soy leghemoglobin is responsible for making the patty taste like meat. "

so what's soy leghemoglobin?

Soy leghemoglobin is short for legume hemoglobin -- the hemoglobin found in soy, a leguminous plant. Leghemoglobin is a protein found in plants that carries heme, an iron-containing molecule that is essential for life.

And where do you get it for fake meat?

"In pursuit of the intended use in ground beef analogue products, the gene encoding a soy LegH was introduced into the genome of the yeast Pichia pastoris, enabling the production of high levels of soy LegH preparation (LegH Prep)"

IMHO less appetizing than "pink slime" (remember that one?).

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just think about it....when you eat some fake meat, you're saving the life of a fuzzy little animal with big brown eyes.

That should make you sleep good at night, and maybe have a chance to bang that vegetarian chick that you know at work.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You are a braver man than I.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.