Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Posted this elsewhere but haven't had any responses so thought I would try here.
I have a Browning X-Bolt rifle that shoots very well but the trigger could use some lighting up. Any suggestions on getting it down from the current 4 1/2 lbs.? I know 4 1/2 isn't terrible but I sure would prefer it closer to 3 or so.
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sounds like a Yo Dave trigger spring is just what you need. Best $10 you will ever spend to improve a trigger. I have used them over the years as have many others on this site and they are great!

https://www.yodaveproducts.com/

Last edited by Motown; 08/01/19.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mcarbo makes the spring you're looking for. I've done both my Xbolts, it's a pretty easy swap once you accept that you're going to mess up the stock one getting it out. Both of mine are set a hair under 2 pounds.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
+1 on the Mcarbo spring replacement. It is an easy swap. Destroys the original spring, though. The Mcarbo spring works very well, so losing the factory spring doesn't matter.

I haven't used the Yodave spring, so I can't compare.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I forgot about the Mcarbo and have used a few. They have all worked as well as the Yo Dave.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I put the MCARBO spring in my X-Bolt as well, and I'm very happy with how it turned out. I've really liked almost everything about my X-Bolt since I got it, except that the trigger was always a hair heavier than I wanted it (mine was around 3.5 lb). Now the trigger is ~2.5 lbs and the rifle is prefect for me.

As someone else said, don't try to save the factory spring, you're going to wind up destroying it anyway. Just snatch out the old spring with needle nose and install the new one, it's a super easy fix.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yo Dave. MCARBO is the last spring I’d buy.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

Is there a reason for that? Personal preference or is there a story in there?

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

Appreciate the information. I was getting ready to order a MCARBO when I read the posts by Reloader7RM and HandgunHTR....I too am curious why Reloader7RM dislikes the MCARBO
Hopefully he will let us know.
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the MCarbo X-bolt spring and it breaks cleanly at 2lbs 14.8oz avg over 10 pulls. I think I can even take it down a little further. Originally it was close to 5lbs, clean break but heavy.

[Linked Image]

It was a pain in the keester to install, I will give you that, but well worth it to me.

I am curious also about the MCarbo comment

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What's wrong with the Ernie the Gunsmith spring?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

He no longer offers one

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Darryle
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

He no longer offers one

Did not know , Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Timney?
https://timneytriggers.com/browning-x-bolt/

Probably cheaper elsewhere.

I am very happy with my Browning x bolt long range with the McMillan stock but the trigger does kinda suck. Will do something about it one of these days.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I just put a timney spring in my abolt and it was easy. Not sure if spring goes for xbolt. Timney website shows a replacement trigger for xbolt for $192. I like brownings and main complaint I see is no aftermarket triggers but looks like Timney is making one now. Anybody have any experience with it?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Yes. I purchased a shotgun reduced pull spring from them that supposedly offered up to a 40% reduced pull. The stock spring was yielding a 7lb pull and the MCARBO dropped it all the way down to 1.25lbs. It was so low the trigger wouldn’t reset. I sent the spring back and they would not give a full refund, insisted I pay shipping for their defective product. We’re only talking ~$6, but it’s not the amount, more the principal. If I sell anyone a defective product, the entire expense is on me period. I expect the same from reputable companies and most do exactly that.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by lugnut1981
I just put a timney spring in my abolt and it was easy. Not sure if spring goes for xbolt. Timney website shows a replacement trigger for xbolt for $192. I like brownings and main complaint I see is no aftermarket triggers but looks like Timney is making one now. Anybody have any experience with it?

It’s not super hard to install. I had to take the lever that controls the safety and not only bend it but shave some material off it to keep it from binding up on the stock.

As advertised, the bolt lock whatever no longer works.

I will say it’s a big improvement. The stock trigger was okay with the stock spring but mine would creep a random amount with the spring upgrade. I tried to like it, but honestly it would sometimes break clean, then next time creep a little, then clean, then a lot of creep. It was really inconsistent.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

Yes. I purchased a shotgun reduced pull spring from them that supposedly offered up to a 40% reduced pull. The stock spring was yielding a 7lb pull and the MCARBO dropped it all the way down to 1.25lbs. It was so low the trigger wouldn’t reset. I sent the spring back and they would not give a full refund, insisted I pay shipping for their defective product. We’re only talking ~$6, but it’s not the amount, more the principal. If I sell anyone a defective product, the entire expense is on me period. I expect the same from reputable companies and most do exactly that.

Reloader7RM
Appreciate the reply. Sorry to hear you had a problem with the spring and I know what you mean about the having to pay shipping costs for a defective product, I just this last week had the same experience, and with shipping cost being as high as they are I was not pleased about it. But as you say, it's more about the principal. So needless to say, I won't be doing anymore business with the company I dealt with and understand where you're coming from. Thanks again!
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by rookieatbest

Reloader7RM
Appreciate the reply. Sorry to hear you had a problem with the spring and I know what you mean about the having to pay shipping costs for a defective product, I just this last week had the same experience, and with shipping cost being as high as they are I was not pleased about it. But as you say, it's more about the principal. So needless to say, I won't be doing anymore business with the company I dealt with and understand where you're coming from. Thanks again!
rookie

Yep. Thanks for sharing. I agree on the principle of the thing. 1.5# for a shotgun trigger is way too low.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I ordered the Yo Dave spring, it just arrived, this afternoon I am going to swap out the MCarbo and see if there is any difference in pull weight

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (280shooter, 1lessdog, 2ndwind, 264mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 559 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,444
Posts18,507,868
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.