DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by DBT
LOL, in other words "no."

Come on, I know you can do it!

Smokepole is apparently incapable of understanding explanations.

Incorrect, I understood your "explanation" just fine. It just wasn't an answer to the question I asked.

That answer doesn't require an "explanation," it's a yes or no proposition.

But tell me something, does this technique you're using normally work? You know, the technique wherein you claim to be answering the question put before you but aren't, and insist that the other party just can't understand your answer?

Maybe if you keep repeating it someone will believe you, It might work.

In other words, despite your protestations to the contrary, you did not understand what I said.

And it still remains that faith is not a reliable means for sorting fact from fiction....being probably one of the worst. Flipping coins would be better.

Last edited by DBT; 08/04/19.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Scientist did an experiment several years ago and in a contolled environment they actually produced the first building block to life that in there opinion proved that evolution is possible! Some other really smart people said that what they actually proved was that intelligent life was able to create the first building block of life!

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT

And it still remains that faith is not a reliable means for sorting fact from fiction...

LOL, who/what are you arguing against, I never said otherwise. You're so wrapped up in your own opinions that you can't even register what I've said or not said. All you can do is argue against your own strawmen. Hopefully, you can win some of those arguments.

I'll admit, it's fascinating to watch.

But tell me something, does this technique you're using normally work? You know, the technique wherein you claim to be answering the question put before you but aren't, and insist that the other party just can't understand your answer?

Maybe if you keep repeating it someone will believe you, It might work.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Doesn't have to, the wicked destroy themselves.

How do they do that?

They do not turn to God, they choose hell.

"better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven"

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Doesn't have to, the wicked destroy themselves.

How do they do that?

They do not turn to God, they choose hell.

"better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven"

That can't be right. Many of the 'wicked' actually believe in the existence of a God.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So does Satan, the definition of wicked.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LOL, who/what are you arguing against, I never said otherwise. You're so wrapped up in your own opinions that you can't even register what I've said or not said. All you can do is argue against your own strawmen. Hopefully, you can win some of those arguments.

LOL, quite a lot of dodging and weaving, smokepole. Even the irony of mentioning 'strawmen' appears to escape you.

The fact being; you asked me a question.

The question you asked was; If two theories contradict each other, are both negated?

To which I replied - If two 'theories' contradict, both cannot be true. One must be wrong, or both can be wrong, but both cannot be true. Whether something is true or false is determined by evidence - which has absolutely nothing to do with your claim that I asserted that 'faith could be proven wrong due to contradictions among different faiths'' and just shows that you failed to understand anything I said, instead relying on your childish antics of derision to get you through (only in the illusion of your own mind)

My question was limited to your assertion that faith could be proven wrong due to contradictions among different faiths.

There lies your error and your strawman. I didn't say that ''faith could be proven wrong due to contradiction'' but that contradictory beliefs cannot all be true, if one is true, the other must be false and to determine the truth requires evidence, not faith.

Poor Smokepole, I hope that you'll eventually understand what is being explained. Maybe a few more times in different ways?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So does Satan, the definition of wicked.

God is said to have created both Satan and Evil. Satan being the agent of God, playing the role he was created for. You need to consider the implications of Omniscience and Omnipotence when it comes to this story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But that story is wrong. Satan was created with free will and he chose to turn away from God in his pride. As can people.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But that story is wrong. Satan was created with free will and he chose to turn away from God in his pride. As can people.

Decision making is not free will. The decisions you make are determined by a range of factors. Character, personality, your immediate situation, culture, beliefs, etc, etc. An omniscient being knows exactly what will happen and an omnipotent one is able to create the best of all possible worlds.

Plus the bible tells us that God created evil.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So we're just God's wind up toys mindlessly going through life? Not buying that.

Where's it say God created evil? Musta missed that.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So we're just God's wind up toys mindlessly going through life? Not buying that.

Nobody made mention of wind up toys. Just the complexity of the decision making process, which can't be reduced to the simplistic notion of 'free will' - as if that explains everything.

Read your bible, it tells you that God creates evil, including those who are 'fitted for destruction' - apparently their sole reason for existing.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In other word, if everyone has 'free will' but not everyone chooses to do evil, rob, kill, plunder.....there are other factors at work. Factors that shape character, personality, wants and needs, including genetics, and consequently, decisions that are made by the individual.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would make us puppets if our decision making was controlled exclusively by our environment, and the creator who dictated that environment would necessarily be the puppet master. I will not doubt the existence of a transcendent spirit, and therein lies the power of choice. A non-transcendent spirit, existing in only the physical world, is controlled by it's environment.

And my bible doesn't say that.

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Really. What about people born with disabilities and children that die of cancer?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT

God is said to have created both Satan and Evil. .

Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)

" I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

Originally Posted by DBT

... Satan being the agent of God, playing the role he was created for. .

Absolutely, gOd knew from the beginning Luclifer would rebel, ...his rebellion is actually all part of Gods plan.

same with Adam and Judas.

you are often clueless and stumped by things in the Bible.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would make us puppets if our decision making was controlled exclusively by our environment, and the creator who dictated that environment would necessarily be the puppet master. I will not doubt the existence of a transcendent spirit, and therein lies the power of choice. A non-transcendent spirit, existing in only the physical world, is controlled by it's environment.

Nobody is saying that decision making is ''controlled exclusively by our environment'' least of all me - there are huge leaps made between what I say and the response I get. It's like there is no relationship between what I say and how it's interpreted. Please brush up on the neurocience of decision making.

''Our thoughts, though abstract and vaporous in form, are determined by the actions of specific neuronal circuits in our brains. The interdisciplinary field known as “decision neuroscience” is uncovering those circuits, thereby mapping thinking on a cellular level. Although still a young field, research in this area has exploded in the last decade, with findings suggesting it is possible to parse out the complexity of thinking into its individual components and decipher how they are integrated when we ponder. Eventually, such findings will lead to a better understanding of a wide range of mental disorders, from depression to schizophrenia, as well as explain how exactly we make the multitude of decisions that ultimately shape our destiny.''

And my bible doesn't say that.

If that refer to the bible saying that God creates evil, it does indeed say that.

Last edited by DBT; 08/05/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You say

"there are other factors at work. Factors that shape character, personality, wants and needs, including genetics, and consequently, decisions that are made by the individual.

Yet say decision making is not dictated by our environment. You lost me. Influenced I'd agree with.

"Our thoughts though abstract and vaporous in form, are determined by the actions of specific neuronal circuits in our brains. "

There is evidence to the contrary. And as best as I can determine it's all very fuzzy, both sides.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You say

"there are other factors at work. Factors that shape character, personality, wants and needs, including genetics, and consequently, decisions that are made by the individual.

Yet say decision making is not dictated by our environment. You lost me. Influenced I'd agree with.

"Our thoughts though abstract and vaporous in form, are determined by the actions of specific neuronal circuits in our brains. "

There is evidence to the contrary. And as best as I can determine it's all very fuzzy, both sides.

It's an interaction of environment and genetics. Our environment provides the information that the brain processes. Your mental abilities, strengths and weakness being determined by neural architecture.

''When it comes to the human brain,
even the simplest of acts can be counter-intuitive and deceptively complicated. For example, try stretching your arm.

Nerves in the limb send messages back to your brain, but the subjective experience you have of stretching isn't due to these signals. The feeling that you willed your arm into motion, and the realisation that you moved it at all, are both the result of an area at the back of your brain called the posterior parietal cortex. This region helped to produce the intention to move, and predicted what the movement would feel like, all before you twitched a single muscle.

Michel Desmurget and a team of French neuroscientists arrived at this conclusion by stimulating the brains of seven people with electrodes, while they underwent brain surgery under local anaesthetic. When Desmurget stimulated the parietal cortex, the patients felt a strong desire to move their arms, hands, feet or lips, although they never actually did. Stronger currents cast a powerful illusion, convincing the patients that they had actually moved, even though recordings of electrical activity in their muscles said otherwise.''

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes he did, but not exclusively - read his response.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 44 of 117 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.