Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Should ANY EFFORT be made in regards to the prevention of mentally ill people from owning firearms?

If so, what efforts?

I’m confused that many here see gun ownership for the mentally ill as a bad idea, then oppose ANY efforts to determine if somebody is mentally ill? Is this assessment accurate?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good question, I have asked that myself. A can of worms for sure. That might be why the problem is unsolved?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sure. A .gov plan to regulate a constitutional right. crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same laws in place in 1950 or even as lates as 1990 should be about right,
Didn't seem to be many mental shootings back then so maybe this BGC law is creating problems..
All of this is a society problem maybe we should outlaw all this new control, permissiveness, acceptness and diversity it is creating to much divisiveness.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

So then your answer is “no, whether a person is bipolar or schizophrenic, he or she still has a constitutional right to carry a firearm, and protect themselves from any PERCIEVED threat to their life?”

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If a guy's wife is suicidal, would they take the dude's guns?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You admitted you're "Confused..." There go your guns.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The main reason these mass shootings occur in the first place is due to out of control Marxist political correctness and policy – specifically the shuttering of mental health institutions and psychiatric hospitals nationwide, which has resulted in a deluge of mentally unstable people in every city and almost on every street corner. Couple that with lenient, progressive laws that have decriminalized many criminal acts and the demise of the American family and the lack of strong role models for children, and you have a recipe for such disasters. Plain and simple.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
You admitted you're "Confused..." There go your guns.

Those are cute quips, but you are ducking the question.

What would a wife’s mental state have to do with the husband’s right to firearms? I would hope he would be responsible enough to keep access away from his suicidal wife.
But Dan, are you going to give me an honest reply? Do we do nothing in the way of prevention to stop people with hullcinating illnesses, access to firearms..is that your answer?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
One common denominator I suspect for the people who wish to senselessly kill strangers is drug treatment when young. Addrall, Redalin and other names for antidepressants or stimulants given to control behavior (ADHD, etc). I would like to see the history of use of these drugs by mass-killers to see if this could be a contributor to their unstable mental state.

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
This is a super tough question.

I tend to think that the line between mentally ill in the clinical sense and hopelessly nihilistic is very blurry.

The fact is that in a free society, particularly one such as ours which lacks central grounding/unifying factors (such as religion or ideals) a lot of this is inevitable. Even if we were to find a way to get anyone with a genuine mental illness on the “bad” list and avoid gratuitous placement of those w/o such a malady on that same list we’d not do away with the problem.

I’d rather have so much freedom that there is a chance I’ll be in a plane blown up by a bomber or in a mall attacked by a mass shooter than in one where the gov guarantees me perfect safety.

The latter is more of a nightmare to me than the former.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
The main reason these mass shootings occur in the first place is due to out of control Marxist political correctness and policy – specifically the shuttering of mental health institutions and psychiatric hospitals nationwide, which has resulted in a deluge of mentally unstable people in every city and almost on every street corner. Couple that with lenient, progressive laws that have decriminalized many criminal acts and the demise of the American family and the lack of strong role models for children, and you have a recipe for such disasters. Plain and simple.

Yep, I agree with all of that, but now that the guy is schizophrenic...which by the way in many cases is heredity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

If she is a felon can guns be kept in their home?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Serious questions Barkoff, as I can tell you feel strongly about this highly controversial and difficult to address issue:

Does a person have a "right" to be mentally ill? (right now, in many (most?) States the answer is yes, witness the millions on the street)

And if so, when does society step in to restrict that right?

And then, what measures of restriction are acceptable before the start infringing on the rights of the non-mentally ill?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We don’t live in a sane society. There are people who are wanting to take out guns and will use any incremental step as a way to get further on down the road to getting them all.

But, if we actually lived in a sane society where gun confiscation was not an issue and a goal of the damned communist and people were actually concerned about limiting the access of mental patients and criminals something like a carry license would work. It would be granted to anyone with a clean record for a minimal fee of $25 or so. It would be renewed every five years and certain criminal convictions and/or mental referrals would get it revoked with an administrative appeal being available. These would not be administered on the federal level but rather the state level.

Setting aside any constitutional concerns and the other concerns I noted above, such a system would and in fact HAS worked quite well. Very few of these mass shooters, and very few criminal shooters at all, have been CCL holders in any jurisdiction.

But I’m not sure how anything like that could be done by consensus in todays climate even if it were constitutional.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Barkoff

So then your answer is “no, whether a person is bipolar or schizophrenic, he or she still has a constitutional right to carry a firearm, and protect themselves from any PERCIEVED threat to their life?”

I dont trust .gov to be able to properly institute and run a program to make us all safer.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Serious questions Barkoff, as I can tell you feel strongly about this highly controversial and difficult to address issue:

Does a person have a "right" to be mentally ill? (right now, in many (most?) States the answer is yes, witness the millions on the street)

And if so, when does society step in to restrict that right?

And then, what measures of restriction are acceptable before the start infringing on the rights of the non-mentally ill?

Geno

Well we did used to step in until the ACLU fought for the rights of the mentally ill to be the ones to determine whether or not they are mentally ill. So my opinion is yes, the same laws we apply for the elderly no longer able to handle their affairs. I am betting the majority of people with a mentally ill family member, would jump at the chance to apply to the courts for a designated trustee with legal rights to force a member diagnose by a doctor, into treatment.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff

I dont trust .gov to be able to properly institute and run a program to make us all safer.

That is certainly understandable, so it’s not so much about rights as it is about a lack of trust of the government?

How about family that applies to have gun rights taken from a sick relative? Go before a judge just like a restraing order application?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Let's have a test to see how it works.

Communities should supply homeless with firearms.

The homeless are predominately mentally ill and this should give everyone a good idea if such a person should have a gun or not. Good luck!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by efw
This is a super tough question.

I tend to think that the line between mentally ill in the clinical sense and hopelessly nihilistic is very blurry.

The fact is that in a free society, particularly one such as ours which lacks central grounding/unifying factors (such as religion or ideals) a lot of this is inevitable. Even if we were to find a way to get anyone with a genuine mental illness on the “bad” list and avoid gratuitous placement of those w/o such a malady on that same list we’d not do away with the problem.

I’d rather have so much freedom that there is a chance I’ll be in a plane blown up by a bomber or in a mall attacked by a mass shooter than in one where the gov guarantees me perfect safety.

The latter is more of a nightmare to me than the former.

This^^^^ X100

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,091
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.