Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
open sights, I shoot several open and aperture sight local rimfire matches on a monthly basis.

I made this YouTube video a while back showing my CZ rimfire open sight benchrest technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtU9s6NnLl4

Here is the USBR target we were using at that time, I shot this one in 2017:

[Linked Image]

Later that year, I could tell by the feedback from RFC that several shooters were struggling with simply seeing the tiny USBR bulls, even at 50 feet, and others had ranges that prohibited shooting at less than 25 yards. In 2018, I changed the target to this one and increased the firing distance to 25 yards. It is easier to shoot all tens, but no one has shot all Xs yet:

[Linked Image]

As of late, I have noticed increased difficulty with certain sights especially at the darker indoor range at which I work. Some older friends have come up with some eye glasses tips and tricks that sound useful. I may have to take the next step as I plod deeper into my 60s.

Last edited by dannycreasy; 08/05/19.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Danny,

Are you using the issue sights or one of the ghost ring sights on your CZ?

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Given a wide variety of arms/sights/etc in the safe, I've found I need different types and dimensions of targets to truly evaluate a rifle's potential. I.e. targets for the 257 Weatherby and its 24X scope are unusable with the 45-70 and a 2.5X unit. Similarly, after developing and printing a properly dimensioned target, I found I could get MOA performance from my iron wearing Sharps. Obviously, the sight/target dimensions need to mesh such that one can obtain a truly consistent sight picture and target dimensions will change as ranges are extended.

Also, technique can be an issue. We once did some edgewise card shooting at a state level conference using 22LRs with peep rears and a blade up front. Turns out edgewise cards are invisible if one tried shooting with his off sight eye closed. With both eyes open, the off sight eye could detect the card's shadow (lighting was not consistent across the range), and the right eye aligned the sights. One's brain then aligned the two images and many of us were able to slice the cards. Those using their non dominant eye, with the requirement that their non sighing eye be closed, had no chance.

Lastly, we do change as we age. I'm near sighted with essentially no shifts in vision over the last 45 years. This past spring, however, I noticed I was not seeing ground squirrels at extended ranges and resorted to using binos for spotting. Went in for a checkup and seems cataracts are appearing with the most rapid advances in the right eye. Not a competition shooter, so I plan on addressing that issue after this fall's seasons.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/05/19.

1Minute
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Danny,

Are you using the issue sights or one of the ghost ring sights on your CZ?

Jerry

The RFC online match rules only allow the factory open sights; no ghost rings, peeps, or apertures are eligible.

I do have a Skinner rear aperture slipped into the dovetail cut of my CZ 452 Scout for my granddaughter’s use. She likes that set up.

Last edited by dannycreasy; 08/05/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,316
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.