Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 45 of 117 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 116 117
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
- there are huge leaps made between what I say and the response I get.

It's like there is no relationship between what I say and how it's interpreted.

Christians often also make huge leaps from what the Bible says to how they interpret it [or simply ignore it when it suites them]

Why would they treat you any differently?

oNe of the best literal interpretationists of Bible on the CF is Ringman, but he didn't know that God will utterly destroy sinners by
incineration - turning them to spent ash, despite Bible metioning such numerous times.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"It's an interaction of environment and genetics. Our environment provides the information that the brain processes. Your mental abilities, strengths and weakness being determined by neural architecture."

So then our choices are the product of environment and genetics? But then wouldn't our choices be dictated by what created that environment and genetics? Still puts us on the level of automatons. Still disregards that part of us which transcends physical laws, including environment and genetics.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Christians often also make huge leaps from what the Bible says to how they interpret it [or simply ignore it when it suites them]

You yourself find the bible self-contradictory if taken literally. It's a principal of hermeneutics to interpret various passages in a way which makes them consistent. Both internally and externally.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
It's a principal of hermeneutics to interpret various passages in a way which makes them consistent. Both internally and externally.

Bible was around when Middle East ragheads were largely illiterate dumb sheep,,,

how did hermeneutics apply to them?

You know your hermeneutics but didn't know God told you plain and clear that He created evil.

but lets hear any convoluted spin you have.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cribbing from the Church of God folks:

"Many Hebrew words have a broad range of meanings. While the Hebrew word translated “evil” in the King James Version usually refers to unethical or immoral activity, it can also mean times of distress (Amos 6:3) and is sometimes contrasted with shalom (peace). "

Part of hermeneutics (love that word) is getting the nuance in the translation right, not the easiest thing even among romance languages.

Think mebbie those ragheads had rabbis?

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"It's an interaction of environment and genetics. Our environment provides the information that the brain processes. Your mental abilities, strengths and weakness being determined by neural architecture."

So then our choices are the product of environment and genetics? But then wouldn't our choices be dictated by what created that environment and genetics? Still puts us on the level of automatons. Still disregards that part of us which transcends physical laws, including environment and genetics.

What do you respond to if not your environment. Your environment being composed of everything around you, family, friends, strangers, work, play, animals, plants, objects, events, all being you in relation to your environment and the information that makes up your whole life and existence. Of course it's an interaction.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starman

You yourself find the bible self-contradictory if taken literally. It's a principal of hermeneutics to interpret various passages in a way which makes them consistent. Both internally and externally.

You can't change the words of the bible from what they say and mean to something that they do not say or mean. If the words state that God is responsible for evil, that is the meaning.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Evolution is a theory. Nobody has ever proven any different.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas

The problem is, you do not have the slightest clue what a theory is in science. You conflate it with hypothesis and from there, you just can't keep up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
You can't change the words of the bible from what they say and mean to something that they do not say or mean. If the words state that God is responsible for evil, that is the meaning.

Right. The bible was originally written in English and only the KJV was dictated by God. Again, for the reasonable:

The Hebrew word that is translated “evil,” or ra, can indeed mean moral evil such as in Genesis 2:9, “the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil [ra].” However, ra can also refer to natural evil, such as in Psalm 34:19: “Many are the afflictions (ra) of the righteous; but the LORD delivers him out of them all.”

The Hebrew words used for peace and evil in this verse are shalom and ra. The word shalom is a greeting and along with literally meaning “peace” it is an informal way of wishing someone well. Prior to this verse, Isaiah is describing how God is in complete control of the universe. The Israelite’s suffering is not the result of God being unable to fend off other evil gods, a belief common among non-Jews of the time. Rather, when the Israelites suffer, the prophet has made it clear that God is aware of their suffering and is directing it toward a good end.

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas

Evolution is proven regardless of all protest to the contrary.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Right. The bible was originally written in English and only the KJV was dictated by God. Again, for the reasonable:

The Hebrew word that is translated “evil,” or ra, can indeed mean moral evil such as in Genesis 2:9, “the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil [ra].” However, ra can also refer to natural evil, such as in Psalm 34:19: “Many are the afflictions (ra) of the righteous; but the LORD delivers him out of them all.”

The Hebrew words used for peace and evil in this verse are shalom and ra. The word shalom is a greeting and along with literally meaning “peace” it is an informal way of wishing someone well. Prior to this verse, Isaiah is describing how God is in complete control of the universe. The Israelite’s suffering is not the result of God being unable to fend off other evil gods, a belief common among non-Jews of the time. Rather, when the Israelites suffer, the prophet has made it clear that God is aware of their suffering and is directing it toward a good end.

No, it goes much further than that. It clearly paints a picture of a God in control, not one who lost control because of pesky 'free will' - a God who deliberately creates evil for His own purpose.

That the bible states God as the author of evil cannot be denied;

Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?" (Amos 3:6, KJV)

"Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? " (Lamentations 3:38)

''The Lord is a man of war'' Exodus 15:3.

"The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: He shall cry, yea roar; He shall prevail against His enemies". Isaiah 42:13

''Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory'' - Romans 9:21-23

"The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.'' Proverbs 16:4

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by smokepole

LOL, who/what are you arguing against, I never said otherwise. You're so wrapped up in your own opinions that you can't even register what I've said or not said. All you can do is argue against your own strawmen. Hopefully, you can win some of those arguments.

LOL, quite a lot of dodging and weaving, smokepole. Even the irony of mentioning 'strawmen' appears to escape you.

The fact being; you asked me a question.

The question you asked was; If two theories contradict each other, are both negated?

To which I replied - If two 'theories' contradict, both cannot be true. One must be wrong, or both can be wrong, but both cannot be true. Whether something is true or false is determined by evidence - which has absolutely nothing to do with your claim that I asserted that 'faith could be proven wrong due to contradictions among different faiths'' and just shows that you failed to understand anything I said, instead relying on your childish antics of derision to get you through (only in the illusion of your own mind)

My question was limited to your assertion that faith could be proven wrong due to contradictions among different faiths.

There lies your error and your strawman. I didn't say that ''faith could be proven wrong due to contradiction'' but that contradictory beliefs cannot all be true, if one is true, the other must be false and to determine the truth requires evidence, not faith.

Poor Smokepole, I hope that you'll eventually understand what is being explained. Maybe a few more times in different ways?

That's rich, DB. It's true that you didn't explicity say faith could be proven wrong, but you implied as much by discussing all faiths collectively and saying there are "problems with faith" due to contradictions. In saying that you branded all faiths collectively as problematic. You didn't parse it as you did above by saying if one is true, the other must be false, that's obvious. You backtracked later with your "explanations" by saying that faith is not a good way to get at the truth, in this case the truth about evolution. And I agree with that, by the way.

But the erroneous and simple-minded assumption you're making is that all people of faith (or at least all Christians) are creationists and reject evolution, which is obviously not the case. There are plenty of people who believe that God and evolution are not mutually exclusive. These people are not looking to their faith to get at the truth about evolution. So your "explanations" are meaningless, and serve no purpose for them. Or me.

Just more long-winded BS.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

LOL, who/what are you arguing against, I never said otherwise. You're so wrapped up in your own opinions that you can't even register what I've said or not said. All you can do is argue against your own strawmen. Hopefully, you can win some of those arguments.

LOL, quite a lot of dodging and weaving, smokepole. Even the irony of mentioning 'strawmen' appears to escape you.

The fact being; you asked me a question.

The question you asked was; If two theories contradict each other, are both negated?

To which I replied - If two 'theories' contradict, both cannot be true. One must be wrong, or both can be wrong, but both cannot be true. Whether something is true or false is determined by evidence - which has absolutely nothing to do with your claim that I asserted that 'faith could be proven wrong due to contradictions among different faiths'' and just shows that you failed to understand anything I said, instead relying on your childish antics of derision to get you through (only in the illusion of your own mind)

My question was limited to your assertion that faith could be proven wrong due to contradictions among different faiths.

There lies your error and your strawman. I didn't say that ''faith could be proven wrong due to contradiction'' but that contradictory beliefs cannot all be true, if one is true, the other must be false and to determine the truth requires evidence, not faith.

Poor Smokepole, I hope that you'll eventually understand what is being explained. Maybe a few more times in different ways?

That's rich, DB. It's true that you didn't explicity say faith could be proven wrong, but you implied as much by discussing all faiths collectively and saying there are "problems with faith" due to contradictions. In saying that you branded all faiths collectively as problematic. You didn't parse it as you did above by saying if one is true, the other must be false, that's obvious. You backtracked later with your "explanations" by saying that faith is not a good way to get at the truth, in this case the truth about evolution. And I agree with that, by the way.

But the erroneous and simple-minded assumption you're making is that all people of faith (or at least all Christians) are creationists and reject evolution, which is obviously not the case. There are plenty of people who believe that God and evolution are not mutually exclusive. These people are not looking to their faith to get at the truth about evolution. So your "explanations" are meaningless, and serve no purpose for them. Or me.

Just more long-winded BS.

Offering long winded BS even while complaining about what you see as being long winded BS....that's irony for you.

It doesn't matter that some folk believe that evolution is compatible with the idea of a Creator or 'God' because evolution does not need a Creator as an explanation. Life evolves for reasons that have nothing to do with a God.

If people want to believe in the existence of a God, be it Brahma, Allah, Zeus or whatever, as a matter of faith, that is their own business and their right.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT

Offering long winded BS even while complaining about what you see as being long winded BS....that's irony for you.

That's laughable. There's not a single post I've made that's as long as your average post. It's all there for anyone to see. But just like your "explanations," keep repeating that, it might work.

Originally Posted by DBT
Life evolves for reasons that have nothing to do with a God.

So you say. Where's your evidence for that? Specifically, the part about God having nothing to do with it.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

That's laughable. There's not a single post I've made that's as long as your average post. It's all there for anyone to see. But just like your "explanations," keep repeating that, it might work.

The post I responded to met all the criteria, length and volume of BS, hence my comment on the irony of it. You dodge that by appealing to averages, lol.

So you say. Where's your evidence for that?

Found, listed and explained in any textbook on evolution or genetics. Readily available online. There is no sign of the presence of a God who regulates or manipulates genetic activity, for example.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's too quiet here so I'm going metaphysical to see what happens. Regarding God creating evil, since God is all-good, he cannot engage in moral evil, because it is impossible for him to act against the good (Himself). However, God can cause natural evil (a natural event with at least immediate unsatisfying consequences) because pain can ultimately serve God’s good ends or purpose for creation. It seems clear from the context that this verse refers to God creating natural evil.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's too quiet here so I'm going metaphysical to see what happens. Regarding God creating evil, since God is all-good, he cannot engage in moral evil, because it is impossible for him to act against the good (Himself). However, God can cause natural evil (a natural event with at least immediate unsatisfying consequences) because pain can ultimately serve God’s good ends or purpose for creation. It seems clear from the context that this verse refers to God creating natural evil.

The bible states far more than ''natural evil'' You appear to be ignoring verses that clearly state that God creates not only evil, not only jealousy, strife and war but the evildoer himself.

Once again;

Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?" (Amos 3:6, KJV)

"Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? " (Lamentations 3:38)

''The Lord is a man of war'' Exodus 15:3.

"The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: He shall cry, yea roar; He shall prevail against His enemies". Isaiah 42:13

''Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory'' - Romans 9:21-23

"The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.'' Proverbs 16:4

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Would human parents bring 'calamity' in the form of war, disease and all forms of unnecessary suffering upon their own children for their own good? I do not mean challenges that build character.

~The Riddle of Epicurus~

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Older than Christianity.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT
There is no sign of the presence of a God who regulates or manipulates genetic activity, for example.

That's a far cry from evidence that God is not involved, don't you think? You made the contention that God is not involved, to prove that requires that you prove the negative, not just say "there's no evidence for it.". Where's your evidence to prove the negative?

I've read a few of those books, nowhere did I see any discussion on any evidence for or against God's involvement.

Page 45 of 117 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.