-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let's say I'm in that situation. Hell, lets say I'm an off duty or plain clothes LEO. Understand that the responding uniform is looking for a target. Weapon on the ground hands behind the head with interlocking fingers the second I lay eyes on an LEO. No hesitation, right now.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Let's say I'm in that situation. Hell, lets say I'm an off duty or plain clothes LEO. Understand that the responding uniform is looking for a target. Weapon on the ground hands behind the head with interlocking fingers the second I lay eyes on an LEO. No hesitation, right now.

It would just be plain stupid to pull a weapon when all the commotion is going on. You pull a weapon and you will be the next target..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It would just be plain stupid to pull a weapon when all the commotion is going on. You pull a weapon and you will be the next target..

Stupid to run around with it, true. But if the opportunity comes to attack the target, not stupid at all.

Unless of course you value your life above all else, I can see that, even though it doesn't apply to me.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Stupid to run around with it, true. But if the opportunity comes to attack the target, not stupid at all.

Unless of course you value your life above all else, I can see that, even though it doesn't apply to me.

You need to use it to defend yourself; being an "attacker" is pretty much grounds for the .gov cleanup crew to shoot your ass....after more cleanup, they may or may not know your motives. The odds of them giving a [bleep] are pretty low.

Sorry, but that's where we're at.

Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No obligation of course , but If one is in the right place at the right time early on when the perp is shooting and before LE arrive,

then why carry a weapon if you won't use it when you know in your mind and heart you should?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Pat85
What would Scot Peterson do??
he would kill his pregnant wife

My first thought as well. Quickly followed by "what the hell does he have to do with this discussion?"

Then I recalled the coward from Broward.

And people are going to forget about El Paso just as easily .

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Starman

If one is in the right place at the right time early on when the perp is shooting and before LE arrive,

then why carry a weapon if you won't use it when you know in your mind and heart you should?

Most conservative people mind their own [bleep] business; of course thousands of babies get knocked off by "doctors" every year, even though its state sponsored murder.

Perhaps you should be thankful they aren't as emotional as you wish they were...

Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Every time someone posts a thread about a good citizen taking out a bad guy the CF cheers/praises the effort and outcome.

That means they would be somewhat disappointed had that good citizen decided to mind their own business instead.

regarding emotions, I prefer to see cool headed good citizens [and cops] draw their weapon when needed, their judgement and shooting
will typically be better than frantic emotional types.

Anyone who needs to be highly emotionally charged before they can bring themselves to shoot someone in self-defence is a worry.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Every time?

Seems they are isolated incidences of immediate self defense.

I'm disappointed in the many that think the government has any role fixing the very things it has created, not some Joe content to mind his business amidst the public funded societal collapse...

Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
Every time?

Every time I can remember, ...I certainly don't recall CF folks frowning on a good citizen stepping forward and taking out a genuine bad guy.

maybe some praise such efforts cause they don't know if they are capable themselves in such situations , I don't really know.

I wonder how many train their shooting skills on 'paper perpetrators' , ..but don't bother to train their minds?

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hookeye
Better to try and die than live as a coward

Yes. As the Cheyenne Indians used to say, "It is a good day to die."

I would try to get behind the shooter and sneak up and shoot him in the back a few times. If you do well you save some lives.
If you screw up, well, at least you get your name in the paper. We all have to die some day.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
If I’d been there with the wife and kids I’d haul ass and get them to safety alone I’d hunt that sum bitch down if I was cornered and either kill him or go out in a blaze of gun fire

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
Better to try and die than live as a coward

Yup. I've been getting trained and paid to run toward the guns all my adult life. I'm pretty comfortable with that idea. I'm in my mid 50s now and I don't see that changing.

Death Before Dishonor
This We'll Defend
It's A Good Day To Die

These words mean something to some of us.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

regarding emotions, I prefer to see cool headed good citizens [and cops] draw their weapon when needed, their judgement and shooting

Anyone who needs to be highly emotionally charged before they can bring themselves to shoot someone in self-defence is a worry.

This is absolutely correct. Most people imagine what their physiology and mental make-up would be in a situation in which they might be seriously injured (or killed) by another person. But most people have not truly been tested.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

This is absolutely correct. Most people imagine what their physiology and mental make-up would be in a situation in which they might be seriously injured (or killed) by another person. But most people have not truly been tested.

Originally Posted by HawkI
Every time?

Every time I can remember, ...I certainly don't recall CF folks frowning on a good citizen stepping forward and taking out a genuine bad guy.

maybe some praise such efforts cause they don't know if they are capable themselves in such situations , I don't really know.

I wonder how many train their shooting skills on 'paper perpetrators' , ..but don't bother to train their minds?

Every time LEO in full blown tac units are called to show up, there aren't any lone warriors going around saving anyone's bacon, ever. At your home, isolated incidents, sure. No comparisons.

Train your mind to the fact a TAC unit is going to shoot your John Wayne ass as it arrives before that mental steel trap does....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would have tried in every way possible, and maybe some that weren't. Most here would.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
All I know is, if I had the shot, I'd take it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully I would try. An anecdote from long ago...

I was in a 7-11 back in Ft. Lauderdale when I heard someone come in and announce "this is a robbery!". I was the only customer in the store at the time and back by the cooler getting a soft drink so he didn't see me. The primitive survival part of your mind does weird things as you picture a dozen scenarios in short order, one of which was the clerk and I being herded into a back cooler and shot. As it was, I grabbed the biggest, heaviest can of food within reach, my plan was to circle my way behind the aisle to try to come up directly behind the guy. Figured I could throw it and rush him or just cold cock him from behind if close enough. Maybe rash and even stupid on afterthought but your first thought is to do something, anything. Particularly when I was trapped and couldn't get out except by going right by the guy.

This all took about three seconds when the "perp", some young male in his late teens I guess, said "no! it's a joke, I'm just kidding". Apparently he thought it would be real funny to do that. I didn't see the clerk's reaction to the initial anouncement, it was a middle aged black guy I knew on a head nodding recognition basis, but he cussed this guy up and down and told him to get the hell out of his store. This was back in the late 70's before most people carried. I put the can of food back on the shelf and got my drink.

So to the original question, it all depends on the scenario. You don't know what you'll really do when confronted with an actual (or realistically perceived) life and death situation until it happens.

As a somewhat sad epilogue, that same clerk was shot in the face and killed a year or so later by a robber.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think it would depend on the CC carriers location. View with a good shot without by-standers, from the side or rear of the person shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Upon hearing gunfire, my first reaction would be to duck and assess where the fire was coming from and how far away it was and go from there. Could I have thwarted the shooter? I do not know for a certainty. Would I have? Yes, if I had the opportunity to actually do so. Who knows . . .

I carry 99% of the time I am out and about, except where I am not, by law, allowed to carry. In the years I have had my CCW, I have only come close to drawing it one time, but didn't need to or have to. It was a rush (not a good rush BTW) and did not involve gunfire from anywhere, which was a huge relief. A guy and his GF were being chased by 3 or 4 LEO vehicles and came up the main runway in front of the store, slammed on his brakes, jumped out and ran into the store. He ended up stopping his ride about 20 feet from my bride and me. This was, not surprisingly, in a Wal*Mart parking lot.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.