Campfire Kahuna
W
74 years ago today. Thoughts?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Intrigued by the story of the traveling salesman from Nagasaki who was on the scene for both bombs. Simultaneously the unluckiest and luckiest mofo of the twentieth century.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BOOM!

We should do it again, just to keep the cretins in order.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pault Tibbets had some interesting thoughts on the subject:

On that first mission, Tibbets saw in real-time that his bombs were falling on innocent civilians. At the time, he thought to himself, "People are getting killed down there that don't have any business getting killed. Those are not soldiers." But then he thought back to a lesson he had learned during his time at medical school from his roommate who was a doctor. This doctor explained to him about his former classmates who failed the program and ended up in drug sales. The reason why they had failed the program was because "they had too much sympathy for their patients", which "destroyed their ability to render the medical necessities". It dawned on Tibbets that:

I am just like that if I get to thinking about some innocent person getting hit on the ground. I am supposed to be a bomber pilot and destroy a target. I won't be worth anything if I do that ... I made up my mind then that the morality of dropping that bomb was not my business. I was instructed to perform a military mission to drop the bomb. That was the thing that I was going to do the best of my ability. Morality, there is no such thing in warfare. I don't care whether you are dropping atom bombs, or 100-pound bombs, or shooting a rifle. You have got to leave the moral issue out of it.
-- "General Paul Tibbets - Reflections on Hiroshima"

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Dad’s fav was Aug 9, his birthday & Nagasaki. He was in boot camp at MCRD San Diego. Said it was his most favorite birthday ever!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father was in Austria at the time, but had been reassigned from the 103rd Infantry Division to the 5th, headed to the Pacific for the invasion of Japan.

After talking 50% casualties on the Siegfried Line, the dropping of the One Big One was welcome news.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
At the time the Japanese philosophy towards war and those they were at war with precluded any sympathy for civilians or anyone in their way. They considered their citizens warriors and subjects of the Emperor. We were looking at loosing more than One Million in casualties if we had to invade the mainland. Obama was wrong about the whole affair.
What we did may have been brutal but it was a necessity and ended the war with less casualties on both sides. In Japan like Germany the war effort was largely housed in civilian neighborhoods for smaller items so those cities were just as viable military targets as anywhere else.

Just as an aside during the battle of Midway the Japanese pilots strafed our pilots that were shot down and the ones they picked up at sea were interrogated and then weighted down and thrown overboard to drown if they weren't beheaded. The Japanese were brutal to all the Asian citizens in countries they overran so there isn't much moral conflict for me in the whole affair.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another thing to remember is that the firebombing of Tokyo killed more than the bomb did. Lemay pretty much proved the effectiveness of napalm in a war.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad was home from Europe waiting orders.
Those orders were going to be a liberty ship to the pacific.
The bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki ended the war.
Thank you Harry S. Truman.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think if we hadn’t used the bomb then it would have been used on us later by someone.

Let the reality sink in.. The Soviet Union knew we could/would attack then back. Mutual assured destruction left everyone honest up to today at least.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They dropped the bombs while Dad was on a troopship headed for Okinawa. If the bombs had not been dropped successfully, Dad and the rest of his pack artillery unit was going to stage at Okinawa for the planned invasion of the mainland, due in November. At some point he heard a name, "Landau" referenced for the beach. He would have been a muleskinner trying to get mule-borne 75mm artillery up onto the high ground to shell the Japs.

In 1972, my 8th grade English teacher had us read Hiroshima, and tried to get us to understand how wrong it was to bomb the Japanese. I brought it up at dinner, and Dad got really dark. He reminded me that without those bombs, I probably wouldn't have existed. I brought that up the next day in class. It must have been a common thought, because the class quickly turned, and a good number of kids in the room had about the same story. Our fathers were mostly late-war inductees that had missed the ETO, and gone to the Pacific. That long-haired hippie teacher had a hard time selling his ideas after that.

Grandpa Whitey knew Curtis LeMay. They'd gone through OSU together in Electrical Engineering. They were frat brother. They stayed in touch through the years. I'm here to tell you: Those bombs were the best thing that ever happened to Japan. They saved those islands from General LeMay. Both Grandpa and LeMay were real Old Testament kind of guys-- big on Wrath of God and that sort of thing. LeMay, on a good night, could deliver more TNT equivalent on mainland Japan than those two bombs. We're talking 60% obliteration of the top 60% of Japanese cities. For the US, it would be like every city bigger than Omaha wiped out-- this was before the A-Bombs. LeMay was just getting started, too. If the bombs had been duds, he was still ratcheting up his bombing campaign using conventional munitions. By November, there would have nothing left but rubble. They talk about the A-Bombs being inhumane-- piffle! Hiroshima and Nagasaki could have had much worse, if they'd gotten a conventional firebombing like Tokyo.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We should have waited til we has 20 or 30 of them and nuked them into the stone age! Later, North Korea too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grid bombing would have been way worse than a couple big ones.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 19352012
Grid bombing would have been way worse than a couple big ones.

In one of the WW2 books I've read that's essentially what one of the AAF Generals said after those two bombs were dropped.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ran across this 15 minute video last week. It explores what might have come about had we invaded Japan as was planned before we dropped the bomb.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was my first day on the job working at the johns manville asbestos dust factory. I lied about my age to get a job so we could buy a color tv.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Celebrate by letting a few fly in Afghanheadistan and Syria

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
It was my first day on the job working at the johns manville asbestos dust factory. I lied about my age to get a job so we could buy a color tv.

What did a color TV set cost in 1945?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A color TV in 1945. Hmm musta been something to watch. Was it a wind up type?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (12344mag, 3333vl, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.