Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well I kinda felt that way too. Who walks within a foot of a car anyways?

I left the note in the car and whenever the family would get in I'd read it and then we'd all laugh for a minute or two. That went on for about 2 months.

I like the idea of mounting a spare - I will probably do that soon, but I'll have to be pretty fired up about the idea of extending the tongue. I'm not that hard core since this will just be used to carry a mower or motorcycle.

Last edited by KFWA; 08/02/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Bearing Buddies sure make life easier.
Nice looking trailer

Another vote for BBs

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice trailer. I just bought a 5'x8' utility trailer much like yours except mine has an "A frame" type tongue. I mounted a storage box on the tongue for my tie down straps ball mounts, and other equipment to keep it all together. We had a detached garage built and I keep the trailer in it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good, but I like old school...
[Linked Image]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Only complaint is the tongue is too short, causing the trailer to overreact when backing up.

First thing I look for. You could have a shop lengthen that out to avoid biting the side of the truck.

I agree that a longer tongue will make handling much more simple. That looks like 3" square in the pic. Any decent welder can add a foot or so.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Only complaint is the tongue is too short, causing the trailer to overreact when backing up.

First thing I look for. You could have a shop lengthen that out to avoid biting the side of the truck.

I agree that a longer tongue will make handling much more simple. That looks like 3" square in the pic. Any decent welder can add a foot or so.

An added bonus to lengthening the tongue is to make it removable so no one can steal your trailer.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by KFWA
in the time since I posted this I sold my old trailer to boot!

so been a good day so far

any suggestions for longevity or modifications I'd like to hear them

can't tell ?

bearing buddies installed ?

You have to have a buddy bearing or e-z lube spindle. You just can't stick the caps on. Look at the end of the spindle and see if there is a small screw in the end. If so you should be able to pull that and put in a zerk fitting.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As already stated, those type of trailers rust pretty bad over time. I see plenty of them that look pretty shabby here in Minnesota, which explains where everyone's second trailer here is aluminum. If you're not in snow and road salt country you're probably fine. If you do run on salted roads, I'd get a can of bed liner and paint all the metal while it's still new.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just got a smokin’ deal on a 16’ tandem axle trailer with drop down gate. It has an untreated wood floor that is painted black. My question is what is the best treatment that would protect the wood for years to come?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Morewood
Just gobbed it on the inside of the coupler where the ball goes

Now every time you accidentally slam your shin into the ball hitch you'll have grease in the wound.

had a ball hitch on the back of my van many years ago. Came out from kroger to find a note on my car. Someone said they almost broke their leg on my hitch and told me I was a jackass for leaving it in
Almost all trucks keep them in up in these parts. Whats the sense in having a truck used to tow a trailer if you aren't ready to tow.

living the good life every day
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by skinner
I just got a smokin’ deal on a 16’ tandem axle trailer with drop down gate. It has an untreated wood floor that is painted black. My question is what is the best treatment that would protect the wood for years to come?

Being as it's already painted, just keep it painted.

About all you can do.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have one of those too, handy little trailers. Flipped the axle under the spring so it rides higher on mine.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was shopping for a utility trailer for quite a while, wanted aluminum, but couldn't see spending the coin for my uses, so I resigned to buying steel. I researched, TSC, Farm & Fleet, Fleet Farm, and a few others, but none had stellar reviews.

On my way up north to buy a new Honda ATV, I drove right by a trailer dealer I didn't know was there, and decided to stop on my way back. He ended up have just want I wanted that he had sat on the lot for too long and cut me a pretty good deal. Brand is H&H Trailers, 5.5"x8', bifold ramp, wood floor, aluminum wheels, and spare tire.

I spent some time cleaning it up with WD-40 and steel wool, and gave the floor 3 coats of stain/sealer. Fortunately, I can keep it in the garage, so steel would have worked just fine, but it doesn't have the bling factor....... whistle

Company pic:

[Linked Image]

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by walt501
As already stated, those type of trailers rust pretty bad over time. I see plenty of them that look pretty shabby here in Minnesota, which explains where everyone's second trailer here is aluminum. If you're not in snow and road salt country you're probably fine. If you do run on salted roads, I'd get a can of bed liner and paint all the metal while it's still new.

I actually did put bedliner on it the day I got it. Had some clear and coated it pretty well.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like that trailer aalf, better than mine. That A-Frame with the center post isn't something you normally see in a lower cost trailer.

Last edited by KFWA; 08/07/19.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Keep the tires covered. The sun will beat them to death. Put some tire jelly on them and a cover. Tires will last for years.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like that trailer aalf, better than mine. That A-Frame with the center post isn't something you normally see in a lower cost trailer.

It was more than I wanted to spend, but got what I really wanted. Of course resale value will be better if I find the need to upgrade down the road.

He had a pretty good price on it, but I beat him up a bit more.......spare and tax, RCH under 2K out the door.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
tire jelly?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tire jelly?

Yeah. Me too. Wut?

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
37 posts and not a single mention of a tongue mounted 90 degree fold out wheel for mowing heavy stuff around aside from aalf's trailer photo. Best accessory that I ever put on a utility or boat trailer. I'll put Bearing Buddies on a boat trailer where the hubs might get into the water, but I've never seen the need on my utility trailer aside from a greasing the bearings every couple of years. Put me in the camp of no more steel utility trailers, been there done that and they rust real badly up here in the road salted frozen north. Nope, if you want a really nice one check out trophytrailers.com out of Stanley, Wisconsin. All Aluminum, torsion bar suspension, enclosed wiring, waterproof lights, A-frame yolk and ramps any way you want them. One of my better purchases ever.

I bought mine when they were still called Trinity Trailer and some of the web site photos still show that name, but it is the same company. I bought the stacked ramp option which doubles as the tailgate and cuts down on the wind resistance instead of the hinged ramp.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,172
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.