Hop To
Page 47 of 117 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 116 117
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm not asking what "some" consider good evidence, I'm asking you.

Intelligent design and irreducible complexity is a good start. Without that, what is there?

An all powerfull, all knowing Entity appearing out of nowhere might help.

I doubt that a Creator that's capable of creating a universe would have much of a problem proving its own existence.

Wow, where to begin. Let's start with your hypothetical construct of God "appearing out of nowhere" as your example of good evidence, along with your contention that God should "not have much of a problem" proving to you and I that He exists.

First, it presumes that God needs to "show evidence" or "proof" that he exists. Where does that come from, I find it rather presumptuous. Personally I never thought God owed me anything of the sort, do you think He owes you incontrovertible proof of His existence? What is your presumption based on? Is your concept of God similar to that of a scientist who publishes in peer-reviewed journals and is subject to the same rules as everyone else? Above you describe Him as "all powerful, all knowing," so why would he be subject to the same "rules" that humans are?

It's as if the three year-old boy next door called you a wimp and challenged your manhood, would you feel the need to throw down and show him who's boss?

Next, you skipped right past my question and went straight to the question of God's existence. Which I suspect is the basis of your opinions but it's irrelevant to my question which was: What would you consider good evidence of God's involvement in evolution?

Let's see if you can stay focused on that one. You've cited intelligent design/irreducible complexity but that's not an answer to my question, those are just men's theories. Disproving them just means that the theories don't fit the evidence. The answer to my question is this: Start with the hypothesis that God is involved in evolution. What evidence would you look for in order to prove or disprove it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Francis Crick, the discoverer of DNA, thinks the odds are so long for evolution, that DNA must have come from outer space.

https://www.panspermia-theory.com/panspermia-theories/directed-panspermia

Tarquin
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Francis Crick, the discoverer of DNA, thinks the odds are so long for evolution, that DNA must have come from outer space.

It is possible that DNA evolved in outer space...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course it did. Way more likely than there being a creator.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have read that there is a huge "missing link" in the chain of human evolution, and some other critters. In other words, for some animals we have un-earthed remains of the critter evolving over the eons into what they are now. A clear chain of development so to speak. But with humans and some other animals, my understanding is there is a huge gap in the fossil record between our believed-to-be ancient ancestors and what we are now. If true that leaves open the possibility that a Creator/God made us, or there was some other outside or Alien source that helped us bridge that gap.

If true it seems that true and un-altered Darwinian evolution does not answer our evolution.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My youth bible studies said that God was not from earth, since he made it, so doesn't that mean outer space, more or less? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by milespatton
My youth bible studies said that God was not from earth, since he made it, so doesn't that mean outer space, more or less? miles

why of course it does.

there's the missing link, so to speak.

ancients used the term god for something from the heavens.

today, we might use the term space alien, alien, or maybe god.

those folks, like us, uses the language we have to describe things.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, He made outer space too, didn't He?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Well, He made outer space too, didn't He?

why yes, possibly.

it began with one point.

then two, and infinitum after that.

surely god didn't blow himself up, yes?

lot's of suns of god out there now. many.

but how did he do it? he ain't tellin' is he?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by TallPine
I have read that there is a huge "missing link" in the chain of human evolution, and some other critters. In other words, for some animals we have un-earthed remains of the critter evolving over the eons into what they are now. A clear chain of development so to speak. But with humans and some other animals, my understanding is there is a huge gap in the fossil record between our believed-to-be ancient ancestors and what we are now. If true that leaves open the possibility that a Creator/God made us, or there was some other outside or Alien source that helped us bridge that gap.

If true it seems that true and un-altered Darwinian evolution does not answer our evolution.

Missing links can be for many reasons. In some cases, these 'missing links' could still be buried and we just haven't discovered them yet. With millions of years of sediment and erosion cycles as well as plate tectonics, lava flows, and more, a great many of these fossils will also have been lost, and probably all evidence of most species will never be found as a result. What we find are snapshots at various times throughout history, and these snapshots are not daily, weekly or monthly but often hundreds of thousands or millions of years apart. It is often during periods of erosion in an area that we find new fossils, such as in the case of many river beds or desert areas where wind, rain and snow do the work of uncovering previously deposited fossil beds. Paleontology (and archaeology) is like solving a crime with forensics. You don't know everything about what happened, but you do uncover enough to give you some solid ideas on what happened. Often enough to prove things beyond a reasonable doubt.

None of it proves that there is not a creator. Evolution has no opinion on it. It is only young earth creationists who create the false dichotomy by claiming (foolishly imho) that the earth is only 6000 or 8000 years old because Bishop Usher counted all of the days in the bible in a fit of OCD. The bible itself says that the life of a man is but a blink of an eye to God. Were the 7 days of creation 7 man days or 7 God days? It is not for me to say. As far as science is concerned, it is almost impossible to prove that God does not exist and credible scientists do not waste their time trying to do so - they just follow the evidence the universe provides, create hypotheses from those observations, and then test the hypotheses until they are pretty sure (ok, pretty damned sure) they are correct.

IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Intelligent design and irreducible complexity is a good start. Without that, what is there?

I doubt that a Creator that's capable of creating a universe would have much of a problem proving its own existence.

Wow, where to begin. Let's start with your hypothetical construct of God "appearing out of nowhere" as your example of good evidence, along with your contention that God should "not have much of a problem" proving to you and I that He exists.

Hypothetical construct? You don't realize that God "appearing out of nowhere" was a flippant remark, cynicism, not meant to be taken literally. Look at the context.

First, it presumes that God needs to "show evidence" or "proof" that he exists. Where does that come from, I find it rather presumptuous. Personally I never thought God owed me anything of the sort, do you think He owes you incontrovertible proof of His existence? What is your presumption based on? Is your concept of God similar to that of a scientist who publishes in peer-reviewed journals and is subject to the same rules as everyone else? Above you describe Him as "all powerful, all knowing," so why would he be subject to the same "rules" that humans are?

It has nothing to do with 'God having to show evidence.' The question being; is there evidence for the existence of a God? The answer; there is not. The world appears to function naturally according to physical principles.

It doesn't matter if the universe is teeming with gods, one hidden in every nook and cranny, one to blow the wind, one to form waves on the oceans, keep the currents moving....if there is no evidence to support a justified belief in the existence of a God or gods, it is not justified to be convinced that a hidden God or gods exist. The question of their existence is mere speculation

[quote=DBT]
It's as if the three year-old boy next door called you a wimp and challenged your manhood, would you feel the need to throw down and show him who's boss?

Next, you skipped right past my question and went straight to the question of God's existence. Which I suspect is the basis of your opinions but it's irrelevant to my question which was: What would you consider good evidence of God's involvement in evolution?

Let's see if you can stay focused on that one. You've cited intelligent design/irreducible complexity but that's not an answer to my question, those are just men's theories. Disproving them just means that the theories don't fit the evidence. The answer to my question is this: Start with the hypothesis that God is involved in evolution. What evidence would you look for in order to prove or disprove it.

Your initial assumption was false, then you gleefully run with it as if you are making some sort of a real point. The actual point being justification of belief. Justification entails evidence. If there is a hidden God, an undetectable God, a God that does not interact with its Creation...that is the same as no God at all. We know nothing about it.

''Start with the hypothesis that God is involved in evolution. What evidence would you look for in order to prove or disprove it.''

As pointed out before, if there is a God involved with evolution, would you not expect to see some sign of manipulation? Some sign of purpose? So again, justification of belief, if God exists but is undetectable, what reason do we have to be convinced in the existence of a God?

Last edited by DBT; 08/07/19.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

'May have' is not the same as 'must have' Offering an hypothesis is not the same as saying 'it must be so' - nor does it necessarily involve a God.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ''mathematical challenge to evolution'' is based on a set of assumptions that do not necessarily represent the full picture of evolutionary processses, regardless of mathematical or theoretical modelling, evolution itself is a reality. The problems lie in the modelling not the evidence.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT

''Start with the hypothesis that God is involved in evolution. What evidence would you look for in order to prove or disprove it.''

As pointed out before, if there is a God involved with evolution, would you not expect to see some sign of manipulation? Some sign of purpose? So again, justification of belief, if God exists but is undetectable, what reason do we have to be convinced in the existence of a God?

Let me see if I've got this straight. The evidence you'd look for to determine if God is involved in evolution is "some sign of manipulation" or "some sign of purpose." In other words, you don't really know what you're looking for.

But you believe that since you haven't found it, it doesn't exist. Does that about sum it up?

Sounds like the scientific method at its finest. Is the absence of evidence evidence of absence,when you don't really know what you're looking for?

When you answer, keep this in mind: I'm not the one trying to prove a point here, you are. I didn't say there was evidence of God's involvement, you said God was not involved and I asked how you knew that. So don't keep asking me what I think the evidence would look like, I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

He's proven it: evolution is a statistical impossibility. In fact, its the impossible odds that convinced long-time atheist intellectual and philosopher Anthony Flew that life could not have begun by chance. Its the long odds that convinced high regarded philosopher of mind and atheist Thomas Nagel that naturalism (and Neo-Darwinism, its instrumental handmaiden) cannot account for the emergence of or complexity of life on earth. In fact, the odds are so bad for Darwin that even Francis Crick has been forced to hypothecate space aliens as the source of the necessary coded information. Employing Darwin's logic (reasoning from the best explanation) the best explanation is clearly some sort of intelligent causal agent because in all of human experience, Shannon complexity (specified complex information) only comes from mind, from intelligence. That is an irrefutable and irreducible fact.

You are imagining things. The statistics prove no such thing. Quoting the beliefs of philosophers offering their views does not negate the evidence for evolution, which is more than sufficient to prove evolution.

Maybe you can back your claim about Crick and 'space aliens?' I think that you are misrepresenting his position.

Introduction

''Both traditional creationists and intelligent design writers have invoked probability arguments in criticisms of biological evolution. They argue that certain features of biology are so fantastically improbable that they could never have been produced by a purely natural, "random" process, even assuming the billions of years of history asserted by geologists and astronomers. They often equate the hypothesis of evolution to the absurd suggestion that monkeys randomly typing at a typewriter could compose a selection from the works of Shakespeare, or that an explosion in an aerospace equipment yard could produce a working 747 airliner [Dembski1998; Foster1991; Hoyle1981; Lennox2009]. More recent studies of this genre, in an attempt to promote an "intelligent design" worldview, argue that functional biology operates on an exceedingly small subset of the space of all possible DNA sequences, and that any changes to the "computer program" of biology are, like changes to human computer programs, almost certain to make the organism non-functional [Axe2017; Marks2017].''

Fallacies in the creationist probability arguments

One major fallacy in the alpha-globin argument mentioned above, common to many others of this genre, is that it ignores the fact that a large class of alpha-globin molecules can perform the essential oxygen transfer function, so that the computation of the probability of a single instance is misleadingly remote. Indeed, most of the 141 amino acids in alpha-globin can be changed without altering the key oxygen transfer function, as can be seen by noting the great variety in alpha-globin molecules across the animal kingdom (see DNA). When one revises the calculation above, based on only 25 locations essential for the oxygen transport function (which is a generous over-estimate), one obtains 1033 fundamentally different chains, a enormous figure but incomparably smaller than 10183.

A calculation such as this can be refined further, taking into account other features of alpha-globin and its related biochemistry. Some of these calculations produce probability values even more extreme than the above. But do any of these calculations really matter? The main problem is that all such calculations, whether done accurately or not, suffer from the fatal fallacy of presuming that a structure such as human alpha-globin arose by a single all-at-once random trial event. But generating a molecule "at random" in a single shot is decidedly not the scientific hypothesis in question -- this is a creationist theory, not a scientific theory. Instead, available evidence from hundreds of published studies on the topic has demonstrated that alpha-globin arose as the end product of a long sequence of intermediate steps, each of which was biologically useful in an earlier context. See, for example, the survey article [Hardison2001], which cites 144 papers on the topic of hemoglobin evolution (note: this reference is now 17 years out of date -- many more have been published since then).

In short, the creationist-intelligent design argument claiming that scientists assert an all-at-once "at random" creation of various biomolecules, and then asserting that this is probabilistically impossible, is a classic "straw man" fallacy. Scientists do not believe this, so this line of argumentation is completely invalid. In other words, it does not matter how good or how bad the mathematics used in the analysis is, if the underlying model is a fundamentally invalid description of the phenomenon in question. Any simplistic probability calculation of evolution that does not take into account the step-by-step process by which the structure came to be is almost certainly fallacious and can easily mislead [Musgrave1998; Rosenhouse2018].

What's more, such calculations completely ignore the atomic-level biochemical processes involved, which often exhibit strong affinities for certain types of highly ordered structures. For example, molecular self-assembly occurs in DNA molecule duplication every time a cell divides. If we were to compute the chances of the formation of a human DNA molecule during meiosis, using a simple-minded probability calculation similar to that mentioned above, the result would be something on the order of one in 101,000,000,000, which is far, far beyond the possibility of "random" assemblage. Yet this process occurs many times every day in the human body and in every other plant and animal species.''

I have to chuckle when I read this nonsensical mumbo-jumbo because it is essentially saying that if we can exclude the logic and mathematics required by the big cosmic picture from the equation we might have a case of statistical probability for one minuscule factor. And we should exclude the big picture, because the scientific model that we arbitrarily created does not need to consider all the properties in the universe that need to align, in order for this one proposition in our model to prove itself on the basis of our selective criteria whereby we eliminated all other relevant factors.

The people that write such nonsense are either motivated by pure prejudice or they are educated beyond their intelligence--or both.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The atheistic/materialistic evolutionary hypothesis can be completely dismissed on the basis of mathematical and statistical improbability, as a valid scientific theory to explain the origin of the cosmos. It only continues to exist as a theory because there is a subjective prejudice against the objective evidence that requires intelligent Design. No court case of liberals can successfully refute the logic of statistical and mathematical probability--they can only overrule it--which is what liberals do with truth.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 08/08/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How can you call something science which excludes logic, math, and statistical probability? Take those elements out of science categorically and you will have no reliable building blocks from which to draw any scientific conclusions. Removing them from the origins model simply means that the model is no longer scientific and that the conclusions being drawn from such a selective model are not scientific. So until someone comes up with a mathematical and statistical case of probability that is demonstrated in a repeatedly sustainable model to show life spontaneously generating from random materialistic processes that start with nothing; we should not even consider it intelligently viable.

We know enough already to know this model will never be developed because we already know it is impossible. We also know that just like liberalism, which is also bereft of sound logic, it will continue to be popular among those who want to believe it.

Science requires the miracle of creation because it has already proven that it cannot start without that pre-existing miracle to have first occurred. In other words science and logic require a start from something that is eternally self-existent in order to provide a starting point for science to have something to study and observe.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 08/08/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
How can you call something science which excludes logic, math, and statistical probability? Take those elements out of science categorically and you will have no reliable building blocks from which to draw any scientific conclusions. Removing them from the origins model simply means that the model is no longer scientific and that the conclusions being drawn from such a selective model are not scientific. So until someone comes up with a mathematical and statistical case of probability that is demonstrated in a repeatedly sustainable model to show life spontaneously generating from random materialistic processes that start with nothing; we should not even consider it intelligently viable.

We know enough already to know this model will never be developed because we already know it is impossible. We also know that just like liberalism, which is also bereft of sound logic, it will continue to be popular among those who want to believe it.

Science requires the miracle of creation because it has already proven that it cannot start without that pre-existing miracle to have first occurred. In other words science and logic require a start from something that is eternally self-existent in order to provide a starting point for science to have something to study and observe.

Excellent post!

Tarquin
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Let me see if I've got this straight. The evidence you'd look for to determine if God is involved in evolution is "some sign of manipulation" or "some sign of purpose." In other words, you don't really know what you're looking for.

I am not the one making the claim of Gods existence or presence in world, be it evolution or anything else. It's not up to me to disprove. I can only point out that there is no evidence for it, hence no reason to believe it.

It falls on the claimant to prove their own claim.

But you believe that since you haven't found it, it doesn't exist. Does that about sum it up?

No. You are making up your own narrative. It was and still is about justification. It doesn't matter whether a God exists or a million gods exist, without evidence it is not justified to believe in their existence. If someone believes that a God exists, it's up to them to prove their claim.

Sounds like the scientific method at its finest. Is the absence of evidence evidence of absence,when you don't really know what you're looking for?

What is being looked at, examined, evaluated, tested, is how evolution works, the mechanisms by which evolution works, and as it stands it is not necessary to propose a creator as an explanation for evolution.

If someone makes that claim, it falls upon the claimant to prove their proposition.

When you answer, keep this in mind: I'm not the one trying to prove a point here, you are. I didn't say there was evidence of God's involvement, you said God was not involved and I asked how you knew that. So don't keep asking me what I think the evidence would look like, I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know.

What I actually said was: there is no evidence for the existence of a God (whatever that is supposed to be), nor is such a thing necessary to explain evolution or how it works.

The claim that God, whatever that is, has a hand in evolution is a claim that theists make, therefore it is up to the theist to explain what precisely they mean by ''God'' and how this ''God'' has a hand in evolution.

Page 47 of 117 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.