Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would and have. That is why I dont take my hound/lab mix with me when I head for the hills and why I get worried if he gets out of the fence.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wallaby
A real campfire? That sounds like a great idea. I nees some time out side with people who don't consider spongebob and scoobeydoo the two most important things in life.

Your son too, eh?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Grab a cool one out of the creek and sit!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One year, we were in flood conditions; the creek on our land was way up out of it's banks, roads were flooded, etc. There was some sort of commotion that woke me up and so there I was, out in the rain in the middle of the night with a flashlight and a mini-14. Finally, I see what looks like a seal up against our fenceline but it's actually a soaked Rottwieler, pretty good sized dog. He's very agitated. He takes off towards our goats. I made a judgement call that he was freaked out about being lost and not after the goats, but I was still gonna pull the trigger if he got withing 20 yards of them! He went by them like he didn't even know they were there, and we never saw him again. Someone's family pet that probably swam across some flooded creek and got confused about where it was in the "new" landscape.

That was the closest I've come to shooting a dog in 16 years on our 15 acres out here in Oregon... but I'd do it in a cold second if the dog was actually showing any aggression towards ANYTHING around here -my goats, chickens, kids, me, etc.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Neither one of us is comparing true apples to apples I suspect cause you are protective of what I consider idiot cattle, yet love my dogs. And vice versa. YOu live only for the cattle and hate the dogs.

hey jeff, "I" am a dog lover, too. And I've been on both ends of that gun. I've had a pretty decent pair of "trained" hounds shot, simply for crossing the wrong mans property.I say "trained" bevause I know they were NOT running cattle or deer. Believe me, I wasn't pleased.
On the other hand, one afternoon, I heard a comotion at the henhouse and rushed to investigate. A neighbors 125 lb St Bernard was in a 12'X15' chicken coup with about 20 layers. When he left, there were 4 dead.
I spoke with the local sherriff and was told that I was perfectly within my rights, to shoot the dog. However, I knew where the dog belonged, and the fella' has two young boys about 6-8 yrs old. I knew it was their "pet". I suspect that he meant more to them than the entire chicken house meant to me.(not a big fan of fowl, but "I" DO like a fried embryo or two with my morning bacon)

I guess where I get off is I must live differently than others. You tell me about my dog, and I'll thank you profusely and offer to pay for any kind of damage etc.... and do my level best to make sure it doesnt' happen again. Obviously I"m not aware that its happening.

I spoke with the dogs owner. He was appreciative of the situation, tried to give me $10 for the dead chickens, and promised it wouldn't happen again. It didn't, and we're both happy.
I sure don't think you an azzhole for lovin' your pooches, nor for protecting your property(yard 'n vehicles) by chaseing the cattle off. IMHO..the cattle have no more business n your property, than your dogs have on his.
I never intended to imply that "shooting" was/is "always" either appropriate nor neccessary.

....Ya' get that Lexus, give me a shout!..;)

"Death ain't nothin' but a speckled pony, that ain't never been rode"
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
........speaking of Lab's...

Hillary Clinton called Bill into her office one day and said, "Bill, I have a great idea! I know how we can win back middle America and secure my presidential victory in 2008".

"Great, but how so you propose we go about that?", asked Bill. "Well", Hillary responds, "We'll go down to a local Wal-Mart, get some cheezy clothes and shoes like most middle Americans wear, and then we'll stop at the pound and pick up a Labrador.When we look the part we'll go to a nice old country bar in middle America, and we'll show them that we really enjoy the countryside and show admira tion and respect for the hard working people living there."

A few days later, all decked out and with the requisite Labrador at heel, they set off from New York in a westerly direction. Eventually they arrived at just the place they were looking for.

With dog in tow they walk into the bar. They step up to the bar and the bartender takes a step back and says, "Aren't you Bill and Hillary Clinton?"
Hillary answers, "Yes we are, and what a lovely town you have here. We were just passing through and Bill sugge sted that we stop and take in some local color."

They then order a couple of cocktails from the bartender and proceed to drink them down, all the while chatting up a storm with anyone who would listen.

All of a sudden, the bar room door opens and a grizzled old farmer comes in.
He walks up to the Labrador, lifts its tail and looks underneath, shrugs his shoulders and walks out the door. A few moments later, in came another old farmer.
He walks up to the dog, lifts its tail, looks underneath, scratches his head, and then leaves the bar.

Over the course of the next hour or so, another four or five farmers came in, lifted the dog's tail, and went away looking puzzled.

Eventually Hillary and Bill could stand it no longer and called the bartender over.
'Tell me", said Hillary, "Why did all those old farmers come in and look under t he dog's tail like that?
Is it some sort of old custom?"

"Good Lord no", said the bartender, "Its just that someone has told them that there was a Labrador in this bar with two arseholes!"

"Death ain't nothin' but a speckled pony, that ain't never been rode"
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,732
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.