Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
In Iowa the state owns little by comparison. Most Iowa land is worth paying tax on.

What about where you live?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Half of our county is Dept of Defense, the surrounding areas are TVA-COE, Land Between Lakes-Natl Rec/US Forest, state forest areas too all within 50 miles' radius.

And they get all assy if you think you can take off on a 2 day atv adventure on these areas.

No BLM, set aside Nat'l Monument 'dirt piles' or precious barren wastelands here.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Yep, welfare offices and post offices all over Texas.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the feds would rather pay a subsidy for schools and taxes to local counties rather than harvesting timber.

no tellin' how much good turning the federal land over to the private sector.

but they have their supporters. the rich for one, and the hunters for two.

there are others. but plenty of support to begin divesting land too.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Yep, welfare offices and post offices all over Texas.

And immigrant concentration camps

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I live in Iowa, too, and totalled up the land the state owns that they allow hunting on and in the counties whose names are in the A's through C's, and there is about 90,000 acres that can be hunted on. That does not count the non-hunting land, which is also pretty abundant. Not to the tune of hundreds of thousands, or millions of acres in Federally owned forests out west, but quite a bit for our meager population. I doubt if we have much Federal land here, unless along the Missisippi or Missouri rivers on the border of the state, and down in the Ammunition Plant by Burlington.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
In Iowa, .7% is would be owned by the state. Way down by state ranking, a lot near us however. We are in the cow racket, it be nice if we could have some of that for grazing.

Everybody hunts the state land, the birds fly into our grass, and crops, and they want to hunt that.

If anyone here is offended by my statements, they are few 'fire members I would not let hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Iowa ranks 47th and Nebraska 48th (actually a tie) at 2.8% public (state and federal) and 97.2% private by total acres.

Swifty
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we folks debate this stuff over and over and over.

what are the benefits of federal land ownership?

what are the benefits of state land ownership?

what are the benefits of counties owning it?

why is the private sector not welcome?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are shortcomings in Federal stewardship of public lands, but I can guarandamtee you states would sell it off if it was turned over to them.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
75% of the county I live in... is the size of Rhode Island and yet is owned by the Federal Government...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Virtually endless country that’s wide open to hunt, fish, hike, berry picking, mushroom hunting, etc.

A mixture of federal land and state land.....mostly BLM and National Forests. A guy could spend everyday of his life in the backcountry and only see a fraction of what’s available. From the wilds of the North Cascades to the steppe country and deep coulees of eastern Washington to dense rainforests we have an abundance of areas where a man can stretch his legs and not feel crowded.

This is a beautiful place to live, politics aside.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
About 4000 square miles in our county and I'd bet 3/4 of it is Federal (BLM or FS primarily with some NP), State, and or Reservation land. A lot of that land is juniper sagebrush scrubland. Conifer forests in the higher elevations.

Originally Posted by Gus
the feds would rather pay a subsidy for schools and taxes to local counties rather than harvesting timber.

no tellin' how much good turning the federal land over to the private sector.

but they have their supporters. the rich for one, and the hunters for two.

there are others. but plenty of support to begin divesting land too.

Gus, that's somewhat of a misconception. There's a very large contingent of FS and BLM folks who would love to manage the land with higher rates of logging but they are effectively prevented from doing so by lawsuits. Even in areas that are burned there are particular groups that are opposed to all logging and nearly every time a timber harvest plan is proposed it gets litigated.

In the eyes of this hunter(and many of my friends) I can see NO good reason to turn the local Federal lands over to private, or even State interests. It's not like back east where a fella could buy 160 acres of raw land and have game on it. Our deer tend to wander a bit more than whitetails and even with food plots, water, etc there, it's no guarantee that deer would stick around. A person would have to be able to afford square miles to even have a chance to get quail to stick around, much less deer, antelope, etc. And most folks here I know that hunt, DO NOT want to pay trespass fees to a timber company that does have the money to purchase large tracts of land from a .gov agency.

All this land is "We the People's" land. Come on out and enjoy it. For Free!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gus
we folks debate this stuff over and over and over.

what are the benefits of federal land ownership?

what are the benefits of state land ownership?

what are the benefits of counties owning it?

why is the private sector not welcome?

Gus, we weren’t debating. I stated simple facts, nothing more. Benefits were never part of that. Seeings how my state has/had very little public land, I have always had to deal with landowners since I started hunting and fishing farm ponds in the early 60’s.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are blessed in Wyoming with thousands of square miles of BLM, USFS and School Sections, You can hunt a different spot every year forever and never wet a line in the same hole twice.

Sometimes someone wants to give it all to the State or sell it off to private interests but they dont get very far. Wyoming people are fiercely protective of what we have.

[Linked Image]
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i think we're dealing with a population density issue.

and the number of hunters & fishermen.

and the cost of access to land.

free land is better always?

then, east vs. west?

we have no answer?

that is, it all depends?

i've walked NF's & private.

both work. it's just who pays?

now adays no debate ends rationally?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Damn I wish it was population density. 1.2 million people in the state, roughly 800,000 live in the Lincoln and Omaha area. Third largest city is Grand Island but on football Saturday it’s memorial stadium in Lincoln. Density no, people like Ted Turner coming in a buying up half a million acres and closing most of it. There’s more but I won’t debate it.

Swifty
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What does Ted Turner do with his land? Bison?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My backyard is 4.4 million contiguous acres.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
53 percent of Oregon is Fed. 3% is State and local.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,823
Posts18,477,875
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.