Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As throughout human history, it often comes down to an age-old question, length versus thickness....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This 458 Lott should have enough[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I stand by the 1 gauge tri barrel

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I think you need a heavy equipment operator's license for that one.

I thought this discussion was about bullet diameter?

It's not that heavy actually. 43# as I recall. Cross sticks would be useful. You would appreciate the weight actually. 1,300 gr over 300 gr of Lord Black makes it a frisky critter getter.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
They must have big rabbits in the Afrikas. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of the squirrels are over 6' tall.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Some of the squirrels are over 6' tall.

Where I live here in Nebraska, Bigfoot has never been seen as the squirrels keep- them at bay

Last edited by vapodog; 08/08/19.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by pete53
a deer shot in the lungs or rib cage there is no meat loss on a large deer. myself i don`t want my freezer full of deer meat because i want deer to grow ,so my family and other hunters can have a deer to shoot in the future. people who shoot alot of small deer every year and brag about it are nothing more than game hogs and idiots ! deer culling is a different deal all together than just buying cheap doe deer tags in Minnesota

So people that shoot does and eat them are “game hogs and idiots”?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't read all the posts so I'm positive someone gave a similar reply. Excuse my laziness, please.

What caliber one chooses for game hunted, (IMHO), is not ALL about "what CAN work" but a combination of what will work, what the person shoots well (hopefully), and what gives them the added, even if unwarranted, confidence of a quick, humane shot with little or no tracking (the last option is MY priority, if it matters).

These priorities are usually applied once again when deciding on a bullet weight and construction.

All in all it's about what that hunter feels will tilt the odds of a humane kill in their direction.......without going to extremes.

Just "cheap insurance", if you will, although "cheap" is relative LOL!

The exact bore size that would fit all hunter's requirements for any particular medium or large game animal simply does not exist.

God Bless
Steve

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
a deer shot in the lungs or rib cage there is no meat loss on a large deer. myself i don`t want my freezer full of deer meat because i want deer to grow ,so my family and other hunters can have a deer to shoot in the future. people who shoot alot of small deer every year and brag about it are nothing more than game hogs and idiots ! deer culling is a different deal all together than just buying cheap doe deer tags in Minnesota

So people that shoot does and eat them are “game hogs and idiots”?

that`s fine if they personally eat the meat themselves but i have seen many deer hunters shoot alot of fawns and does,pile them up and just give them away. then they wonder why in a year or two why they don`t see many deer anymore . all to just brag how great a hunter they are saying ya i got 5 deer this year again ,does anyone need a freezer full of deer ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
that`s fine if they personally eat the meat themselves but i have seen many deer hunters shoot alot of fawns and does,pile them up and just give them away. then they wonder why in a year or two why they don`t see many deer anymore . all to just brag how great a hunter they are saying ya i got 5 deer this year again ,does anyone need a freezer full of deer ?

Have you taken the time to investigate and understand modern game management principles? It would seem that you don't understand population controls and carrying capacity objectives.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As throughout human history, it often comes down to an age-old question, length versus thickness....

I don't think it's one vs. the other, I think there's a correlation between the two. In weighty matters such as caliber selection for "big game," the length of the post is directly proportional to the thickness of the skull........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
M
In Alabama suprisingly 7mm mags and 300 mags are pretty popular. In some areas a 400 yard shot is possible and likely. You may only get one chance at a tropy all year, and you need a bullet that will have an exit wound for tracking if necessary. Most of the time its low light and you do not want to track a long way after dark in some of the swamps and cutovers. If you are meat hunting , any standard caliber will do the job. You can generally wait for a perfect opportunity since you have liberal limits and a long season.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I don't think it's one vs. the other, I think there's a correlation between the two. In weighty matters such as caliber selection for "big game," the length of the post is directly proportional to the thickness of the skull........

I could not agree more! With both quotes!

And another classic quote from Mule Deer! "One of the great things about the Internet is how many posters have The Answer." These were the three best things I gleaned from all ten pages of this discussion.

LOL,
CJ

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MartinCreek
In Alabama suprisingly 7mm mags and 300 mags are pretty popular. In some areas a 400 yard shot is possible and likely. You may only get one chance at a tropy all year, and you need a bullet that will have an exit wound for tracking if necessary. Most of the time its low light and you do not want to track a long way after dark in some of the swamps and cutovers. If you are meat hunting , any standard caliber will do the job. You can generally wait for a perfect opportunity since you have liberal limits and a long season.

Exit wounds wont provide for easier tracking g when the entrance hole is caliber sized. And entrance wound the size of a golf ball from a cup and core does leak profusely and provides great tracking blood. If it exits or not is inconsequential.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I thought this had been settled?

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,036
Posts18,481,953
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.