Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
True that.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
How can you call something science which excludes logic, math, and statistical probability?

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
And the Earth was flooded with fresh water about 4000 yrs ago,

1: Where did all the salt water fishes come from?

2: How did all of the millions of terrestrial species of mammals, reptiles, and birds survive the flood?

3: Why are not all humans still black?

This is a convoluted argument. Evolution can be proven to be a myth because it cannot be scientifically demonstrated how random process can spontaneously generate the whole cosmos, whether you believe in the Genesis account or not. So until you accept that evolution is a myth on scientific grounds it is pointless to discuss all that we do not exactly know about how certain things developed over time. When you recognize the scientific fallacy of the theory of evolution, and remove that obstruction as an apriori, then your mind is cleared of the obstructions to intelligent design. No one will ever be able to completely explain how an infinite cosmos came into existence and development with our finite capacities.

Can you show the math you base your God-based Creation hypothesis is correct? If you cannot, then we will have to assume that it is only on faith, again, that you base your entire argument that God did it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

This approach is certainly not helping the cause for the intellectual viability of the theory of evolution--in fact it is demonstrating how unscientific it is. Atheistic/materialistic evolution as a standalone principle, is similar to the theory of Communism which rests upon this fundamental premise, which in its demise and failure, has proven itself to be guilty of the charge of the "opiate of the masses."

And yet, this is the dumbest post of all time. Not just in this thread - which is saying something in itself, but for of time, all threads, all forums, throughout the internet. Just stunning.

But that's what makes this place so frikkin' funny.

Soldier on. smile

In thinking further--this is a very interesting postulation--because in order for it to be true a person would need a perfect knowledge of the entire internet. Obviously lacking the substance of that knowledge we are left with a speculative emotional outburst. But setting that aside, do I get some form of an honorary degree for achieving this status? smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by carbon12
How can you call something science which excludes logic, math, and statistical probability?

2: How did all of the millions of terrestrial species of mammals, reptiles, and birds survive the flood?

This is a convoluted argument. Evolution can be proven to be a myth because it cannot be scientifically demonstrated how random process can spontaneously generate the whole cosmos, whether you believe in the Genesis account or not. So until you accept that evolution is a myth on scientific grounds it is pointless to discuss all that we do not exactly know about how certain things developed over time. When you recognize the scientific fallacy of the theory of evolution, and remove that obstruction as an apriori, then your mind is cleared of the obstructions to intelligent design. No one will ever be able to completely explain how an infinite cosmos came into existence and development with our finite capacities.

Can you show the math you base your God-based Creation hypothesis is correct? If you cannot, then we will have to assume that it is only on faith, again, that you base your entire argument that God did it.

Well first of all the thread is about whether evolution is a myth, and evolution states that it is based wholly on science. But science cannot prove evolution as a starting point, so it fails.

To entertain the question ... Some things are proven by deduction and positive evidence. Mathematical calculations make it quite clear that the first existence needs to be an uncaused first cause and a miraculous beginning. So yes I have faith in what the evidence shows whereas in your position you have doubt in what the evidence shows. In this case there is far more scientific evidence for faith than doubt.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 08/09/19.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Well first of all the thread is about whether evolution is a myth, and evolution states that it is based wholly on science. But science cannot prove evolution as a starting point, so it fails.

To entertain the question ... Some things are proven by deduction and positive evidence. Mathematical calculations make it quite clear that the first existence needs to be an uncaused first cause and a miraculous beginning. So yes I have faith in what the evidence shows whereas in your position you have doubt in what the evidence shows. In this case there is far more scientific evidence for faith than doubt.

So we can assume that you probably have not looked into the assumptions and the math based on those assumptions.

Was hoping you would be able to defend your position with a real mathematical proof.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here is a passage from philosopher Antony Flew’s book “There is a God: How the World’s Most Notorious Atheist Changed his Mind” that illustrates the vast amount of faith required to believe life arose by chance.

“ I was particularly impressed by Gerry Schroeder’s point-by-point refutation of what I call the “monkey theorem”. This idea, which has been presented in a number of forms and variations, defends the possibility of life arising by chance using the analogy of a multitude of monkeys banging away on computer keyboards and eventually ending up writing a Shakespearean sonnet.

Schroeder first referred to an experiment conducted by the British National Council of Arts. A computer was placed in a cage with six monkeys. After one month of hammering away at it (as well as using it as a bathroom!) the monkey’s produced 50 typed pages---but not a single word. Schroeder noted that this was the case even though the shortest word in the English language is one letter (A or I). A is a word only if there is a space on either side of it. If we take it that the keyboard has 30 characters (the 26 letters and other symbols), then the likelihood of getting a one letter word is 30 x 30 x 30, which is 27,000. The likelihood of getting a one letter word is one chance out of 27,000.

Schroeder then applied the probabilities to the sonnet analogy. What’s the chance of getting a Shakespearean sonnet?” he asked? He continued:
All the sonnets are the same length. They’re by definition fourteen lines long. I picked the one I knew the opening for, “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day?” I counted the number of letters; there are 488 letters in that sonnet. What’s the likelihood of hammering away and getting 488 letters in the exact sequence as in “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day”? What you end up with is 26 multiplied by itself 488 times----or 26 to the 488th power. Or, in other words, in base 10, 10 to the 690th.
[Now] the number of particles in the universe---not grains of sand, I’m talking about protons, electrons and neutrons---is 10 to the 80th. Ten to the 80th is 1 with 80 zeros after it. There are not enough particles in the universe to write down the trials; you’d be off by a factor of 10 to the 600th.
If you took the entire universe and converted it to computer chips---forget monkeys---each one weighing a millionth of a gram and had each computer chip able to spin out 488 trials at, say, a million times a second; if you turn the entire universe into these microcomputer chips and these chips were spinning a million times a second [producing] random letters, the number of trials you would get since the beginning of time would be 10 to the 90th trials. It would be off again by a factor of 10 to the 600th. You will never get a sonnet by chance. The universe would have to be 10 to the 600th times larger. Yet the world just things monkeys can do it every time.”

And the DNA coding of even a simple protein is far, far more complex than a mere Shakespearian sonnet.

Last edited by Tarquin; 08/09/19.

Tarquin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Here is a passage from philosopher Antony Flew’s book “There is a God: How the World’s Most Notorious Atheist Changed his Mind” that illustrates the vast amount of faith required to believe life arose by chance.

“ I was particularly impressed by Gerry Schroeder’s point-by-point refutation of what I call the “monkey theorem”. This idea, which has been presented in a number of forms and variations, defends the possibility of life arising by chance using the analogy of a multitude of monkeys banging away on computer keyboards and eventually ending up writing a Shakespearean sonnet.

Schroeder first referred to an experiment conducted by the British National Council of Arts. A computer was placed in a cage with six monkeys. After one month of hammering away at it (as well as using it as a bathroom!) the monkey’s produced 50 typed pages---but not a single word. Schroeder noted that this was the case even though the shortest word in the English language is one letter (A or I). A is a word only if there is a space on either side of it. If we take it that the keyboard has 30 characters (the 26 letters and other symbols), then the likelihood of getting a one letter word is 30 x 30 x 30, which is 27,000. The likelihood of getting a one letter word is one chance out of 27,000.

Schroeder then applied the probabilities to the sonnet analogy. What’s the chance of getting a Shakespearean sonnet?” he asked? He continued:
All the sonnets are the same length. They’re by definition fourteen lines long. I picked the one I knew the opening for, “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day?” I counted the number of letters; there are 488 letters in that sonnet. What’s the likelihood of hammering away and getting 488 letters in the exact sequence as in “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day”? What you end up with is 26 multiplied by itself 488 times----or 26 to the 488th power. Or, in other words, in base 10, 10 to the 690th.
[Now] the number of particles in the universe---not grains of sand, I’m talking about protons, electrons and neutrons---is 10 to the 80th. Ten to the 80th is 1 with 80 zeros after it. There are not enough particles in the universe to write down the trials; you’d be off by a factor of 10 to the 600th.
If you took the entire universe and converted it to computer chips---forget monkeys---each one weighing a millionth of a gram and had each computer chip able to spin out 488 trials at, say, a million times a second; if you turn the entire universe into these microcomputer chips and these chips were spinning a million times a second [producing] random letters, the number of trials you would get since the beginning of time would be 10 to the 90th trials. It would be off again by a factor of 10 to the 600th. You will never get a sonnet by chance. The universe would have to be 10 to the 600th times larger. Yet the world just things monkeys can do it every time.”

And the DNA coding of even a simple protein is far, far more complex than a mere Shakespearian sonnet.

Experiment just suggests that God is probably not six monkeys.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

So we can assume that you probably have not looked into the assumptions and the math based on those assumptions.

Was hoping you would be able to defend your position with a real mathematical proof.

Far smarter people than you or I have shown that the mathematical calculations are not possible to prove the negative--but the same mathematical conundrum would support the positive. That's not too hard to deduce.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

and that evolution is a flawed system. I could could agree with both points.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

No. The experiment shows that the neo-Darwinian claim that time and chance can create life or even alter a life form is unlikely to be true.

Tarquin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Far smarter people than you or I have shown that the mathematical calculations are not possible to prove the negative--but the same mathematical conundrum would support the positive. That's not too hard to deduce.

Hmmmm. A clever twist on argumentum ad verecundiam, I'll grant you that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A good summary of the problem: "A code system is always the result of a mental process (it requires an intelligent origin or inventor)... It should be emphasized that matter as such is unable to generate any code. All experiences indicate that a thinking being voluntarily exercising his own free will, cognition, and creativity, is required. 'There is no known natural law through which matter can give rise to information, neither is any physical process or material phenomenon known that can do this.' Design is a search problem and this is what kills Darwinism, let me quote Stephen Meyer: 'Natural Selection selects for the functional advantage, but the mutational search has to find it within the combinatorial sequence that's being explored...natural selection doesn't work until you have something functional to be selected.' Ultimately, Darwinians are unable to respond to the high level of randomness required to create a certain protein before natural selection could begin to choose it.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

He didn't make an argument from authority dunce. He merely pointed out that the math doesn't support Neo-Darwinism's claims.

Tarquin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

No. The experiment shows that the neo-Darwinian claim that time and chance can create life or even alter a life form is unlikely to be true.

Your conclusion is pretty much out over your skis.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

He didn't make an argument from authority dunce. He merely pointed out that the math doesn't support Neo-Darwinism's claims.

Look again.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Darwin lost his skis and crashed on the slippery slope

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

and that evolution is a flawed system. I could could agree with both points.

You've not yet proved that evolution is a flawed system .

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Darwinian evolution can explain the selection of the mutation but it cannot explain the arrival of the mutation.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Darwin lost his skis and crashed on the slippery slope

Don't be confusing yourself with Darwin.

Page 49 of 117 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (257 roberts, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 2500HD, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.