Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I read a reprint of an interesting book this past winter..... " Twenty Two Caliber Varmint Rifles " by Charles S. Landis. IIRC it's from 1946. Back when pretty much only the major ammunition producers had chronographs. It's interesting in that it shows how wildcatters did their thing in the 1940's with no chronographs and a very limited supply of powders and components compared to what we have today. Chapter 24 is a treatise on load development written by Hervey Lovell, who was another famed wildcatter of that era. An interesting tidbit from that is when he advises that "When fired cases start sticking in the chamber, cut the load half a grain of powder for a case of this size or back the bullet away from the lands, seat it deeper by 1/32 inch". So I guess that sort of load development was once considered gospel and apparently there was no other way to do it (? ). Wow.......

That book is a good read well worth the time. There are 2 that I highly recommend. First is “The Bullets Flight. From Powder to Target” by Dr. Mann. Excellent read..
Next would be “The Complete Guide to Handloading” by Phillip B. Sharpe.

Swifty
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's funny, I just downloaded the kindle version of Twenty Two Caliber Varmint Rifles.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The most practical handloader I've evern known was Eddie Simons, a guy I hunted with considerably from far eastern to far western Montana in the 1970's. He never used a scope, because he believed they were unreliable--because in his early experience, they were. But he was a VERY good shot with irons, and owned two centerfire big game rifles, a Savage 99 .250-3000 and a "sporterized" Argentine Mauser in .30-06 he bought through the mail while in high school for $20.

He used IMR4320 in both rifles, with the "middle load" in the Speer manual he bought in the 1950's. and whatever 100-grain .25 or 180-grain .30 spitzer was cheapest in the local stores. With those powder charges, both rifles shot very close to the open sights, and he killed a BUNCH of deer and elk with both rifles. But I also never saw him shoot anything beyond 200 yards, and usually the range was closer--though I also never saw him miss.

It is the old skills that are disappearing. The so
is common sense and practicle solutions .
Our heads are full of useless information not practicle, I would of like to meet Ed but had my Uncle Gabe

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Trying for max loads is just silly. If you want more speed from a 30-06, trade it in for a .300 WM. If you want still more, get a .300 Weatherby.

The primer popping method is, IMHO, really stupid because it depends on the primer hardness. I used to shoot .223 in matches using Winchester cases only. I could get about 10 reloads with the old WSR plated primers but after 4 or 5 with Remington unplated primers, they would fall out. Maximum loads in neither case.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I want everyone to put on their thinking caps. This is about chronographs.

While doing some research about an Ontario gunsmith, I came across a letter written by Jack O'Connor about some cartridge tests using Vernon Speer's chronograph. I presume it was the company chrono. It was called the "Potter Counter Chronograph". This was probably made by the Potter Instrument Company.

Does anyone have any information about this chronograph and the company? It appears to be something that would have been used in the late 1940s into the 1950s. References to Potter Chronographs were made in various military documents of the time.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can’t find that, but in his 1942 book Phil Sharpe had a chapter on chronographs. The most notable being the Le Boulenge’ drop rod and the Chronoscope used by Remington in 1940. But I have found some interesting reading dating to early 1840’s chronograph.

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/1911_Encyclopædia_Britannica/Chronograph

In the Le Boulengé chronograph (“Chronograph le Boulengé,” par M. Bréger, Commission de Gâvre, Sept. 1880) two screens are used. The wire of the first forms part of the circuit of an electromagnet which, so long as it is energized, supports Le Boulengé.a vertical rod called the “chronometer.” Hence when the circuit is broken by the passage of a shot through the screen this rod drops. The wire of the second screen conveys a current through another electromagnet which supports a much shorter rod. This “registrar,” as it is called, when released by the shot severing the wire of the second screen, falls on a disk which sets free a spring, and causes a horizontal knife to fly forward and nick a zinc tube with which the chronometer rod is sheathed. Hence the long rod will be falling for a certain time, while the shot is travelling between the two screens, before the short rod is released; and the longer the shot takes to travel this distance, the farther the long rod falls, and the higher up on it will be the nick made by the knife. A simple calculation connects the distance through which the rod falls with the time occupied by the shot in travelling over the distance between the screens, and thus its velocity ascertained. The nick made by the knife, if released while the chronometer rod is still suspended, is the zero point. If both rods are released simultaneously, as is done by breaking both circuits at once by means of a “disjunctor,” a certain time is consumed by the short rod in reaching the disk, setting free the spring and cutting a nick in the zinc; and during this time the long rod is falling into a recess in the stand deep enough to receive its full length. The instrument is so adjusted that the nick thus made is 4.435 in. above the zero point, corresponding to 0.15 sec. This is the disjunctor reading, and requires to be frequently corrected during experiments. The instrument was modified and improved by Colonel H. C. Holden, F.R.S. For further information respecting formulae relating to it see Text Book of Gunnery (1857)

https://eugeneleeslover.com/USNAVY/CHAPTER-XV-PAGE-1.html

Aberdeen Proving Grounds 1937

1518. Boulengé chronograph. (See Fig. 1502.)-This instrument, invented many years ago by an officer of Belgian Artillery and developed abroad, is still in common use at proving grounds in all countries. It measures the time interval by recording the difference in time of fall of two rods, suspended by electromagnets. The longer (chronometer) rod, being released when the projectile breaks the first screen, is nicked in its fall by a knife released by the shorter (registrar) rod whose electromagnet is in series with the second screen.

Anyways between those 2 it seems they had some various ways to chronograph artillery and bullets back to 1840. Interesting reads.

Swifty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like to maximize the chamberings I have with my handloads. I use a chronograph at home for this purpose but the single greatest pressure indicator are my Wilson case gauges. If the case doesn't easily slip in and out seamlessly, I review it closely and if the head expanded at all it is discarded. I no longer neck size( or partial neck size)
A chrono is fun, but not essential to this shooter.
My way

Last edited by comerade; 08/11/19. Reason: Sp
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I want everyone to put on their thinking caps. This is about chronographs.

While doing some research about an Ontario gunsmith, I came across a letter written by Jack O'Connor about some cartridge tests using Vernon Speer's chronograph. I presume it was the company chrono. It was called the "Potter Counter Chronograph". This was probably made by the Potter Instrument Company.

Does anyone have any information about this chronograph and the company? It appears to be something that would have been used in the late 1940s into the 1950s. References to Potter Chronographs were made in various military documents of the time.

I believe the Potter chronograph worked just like more recent models--measuring the time of flight between breaking two screens placed a precise distance apart--except it used vacuum tubes before transistors (solid state) were invented. It cost around $5,000 in the '50s, which meant that individual shooters simply could not afford one. Back then a lot of wildcatters had exaggerated opiniions of he velocities they were getting and even some manufacturers of factory ammo "lied" (to put it delicately) about the velocity of their products.

Modern chronographs use a crystal oscillator as the time base. The Potter probably used a circuit called an "astable flip flop," consisting of two vacuum tubes and some other components, which would have meant that it was not as accurate due to temperature changes. Needless to say, the Potter was very large and cumbersome.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The first electronic ballistic chronograph was invented by Kiryako ("Jerry") Arvanetakis in the 1950s. As consulting engineer under contract by NACA (later NASA), he was asked to find a way to accurately measure the velocity of various projectiles fired at hyper-velocities into a variety of engineered materials in anticipation of manned space flight. His first design was an open rectangular frame of square aluminum tubing with a screen of fine copper wire at both ends. Breaking the first wire started charging a capacitor, breaking the second wire stopped it. Measuring the accumulated voltage and knowing the rate of charge the elapsed time could be accurately calculated.

Swifty
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Swifty52
The first electronic ballistic chronograph was invented by Kiryako ("Jerry") Arvanetakis in the 1950s. As consulting engineer under contract by NACA (later NASA), he was asked to find a way to accurately measure the velocity of various projectiles fired at hyper-velocities into a variety of engineered materials in anticipation of manned space flight. His first design was an open rectangular frame of square aluminum tubing with a screen of fine copper wire at both ends. Breaking the first wire started charging a capacitor, breaking the second wire stopped it. Measuring the accumulated voltage and knowing the rate of charge the elapsed time could be accurately calculated.

I never heard of that one. I would be surprised if it were more accurate than 2% or so because charging a capacitor is just not a very good method. The astable flip flop using vacuum tubes as a time base is much better and was available in the 1950s. All chronographs since 1960 used a crystal oscillator as the time base. Worked better and cost less.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,075
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.