Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Are you supposed to anneal after sizing?

I anneal before resizing.

With salt bath annealing, you do need to deprime first though.

Deprime and clean

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor

With salt bath annealing, you do need to deprime first though.

Deprime and clean

That's my normal routine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yup, though I use the torch method, so no need to deprime/clean beforehand.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I have been loading for years and years and I have never anelled a single piece of brass....what is the benefit...?

Consistent neck tension for accuracy, and eliminating case neck splits. In loading for years and years, have you never split a case mouth?

Yep jus throw them away....
I shoot a lot of high volume loads...prarie dogs ....if I can get under 1/4 inch with military brass ...it's not for me...I have a hard time getting loaded up as is...
Sounds like a great deal for target shooters tho...and another thing to fiddle away time between seasons...I get plenty of reloads out of my brass.. Every gun has a min of 1000 reds loaded for it...the 222 sake has 3 k...so if I shoot all the brass 7-8 times holly cow I probably won't live that long.. Only troublesome one with splits is 22 hornet...222 223 204 20 tac all get great life hardly ever split necks..
How's things in skagit county...I used to work in Anacortes....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
Anybody use the Giraud propane case annealer? Looks to be infinitely adjustable for temp, and duration of exposure to heat. Several feed wheels to fit most cartridges.

I have one. I have only used it for my .308 LR/Palma ammo so far, but it's nice to just load up the hopper w/ 300 cases and let it work.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Yup, though I use the torch method, so no need to deprime/clean beforehand.

That's what I did before using the salt bath. I still do it that way for small batches where I want to anneal 20-40 pieces maybe and it's not worth the time to let the salt bath heat up. Salt bath ends up way faster for large batches though, and is more consistent as far as I can tell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Craigster
A propane torch. When your fingers get hot, stop. Air cool or quench, whatever floats your boat. It ain't rocket science.

Yup, my father taught me this way when I was about 5 years old, your fingers tell you when to set the case down on a cloth to cool.
case life seems just fine in any that I have annealed.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08/27/19.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My take on it was that AMP sells $1500 annealers, and has a pretty big stake in "proving" that nothing else is as good, especially if it's just a $100 DIY setup. I was surprised how many people believed it though, and several even claimed that a company like that wouldn't mislead us.

I also observed that the pictures of AMP's "salt bath annealed" brass look different than any brass I've annealed in a salt bath, so they did something different there. When salt bath annealing, I don't see dark case necks like they got. I get bright case necks with a pretty distinct "wet line" just past the shoulder where the bath surface was, and some darker discoloration past that.

One other comment on salt bath annealing - most of us keep the salt bath at 900°F. We're trying to get case necks up to 750°F, but with heat transfer, we're trying to heat the necks without heating the base, so we have to use a higher bath temp and keep the time short.

Honestly I don't think they're trying to intentionally mislead anybody. I think the whole thing looks odd and disjointed because they didn't have a properly set-up experiment to begin with. It looks to me like they were tinkering around and found some interesting stuff, then pieced it back together afterwards and called it "research". Unfortunately, without following the basic rules for a valid experiment that leaves the reader questioning the obvious holes in their conclusions but at least now they've added some more information to the article. I just look at it for what it is, they're a business not a university, it's not incumbent on them to publish detailed research on their competitor's products.

Regardless of what AMP or anybody else claims, in the competition realm it just comes down to results. If people are winning with AMP machines, others will shell out the money for one. If people win while never annealing a case or something in between, the herd will move that way too. Results rule. Competition is about optimizing a myriad of variables, annealing is just one. For everyone else, judging by what I see at the range most days, quibbling over annealing methods is the least of the average shooters' problems .

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Regardless, AMP has a very obvious and strong motive to discredit lower cost annealing solutions, so it doesn't really matter our feelings about them as a company, we should remain very skeptical when they do that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is it possible/feasable to use an infra-red heat gun sensor to monitor case neck annealing temp, instead of using Tempilaq?

Example:. Less than $20

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-1080-Non-Contact-Thermometer/dp/B00DMI632G/ref=sr_1_4?crid=XEHDPLIT8O9X&keywords=infrared+thermometer+gun&qid=1567427874&s=industrial&sprefix=Infra%2Cindustrial%2C354&sr=1-4

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Regardless, AMP has a very obvious and strong motive to discredit lower cost annealing solutions, so it doesn't really matter our feelings about them as a company, we should remain very skeptical when they do that.

This is insane.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, for what it's worth, my personal unscientific study involved two lots of brass: about 200 rounds of 270 WSM cases that had been loaded 3X or 4X, of which several cases exhibited case neck cracks on the 4th or 5th loadings, and 300 rounds of 375 H&H brass, loaded 3X, which had also started to show case neck cracks.

I did some serious research (re-read JB's candle method in GG), bought some candles, and went to work. Annealed all the brass and reloaded a bunch, none of which cracked. Interestingly, group sizes for the 270 WSM brass were not appreciably different from the pre-annealing loads, but the annealed 375 H&H brass loads shot significantly smaller groups than the pre-annealed brass.

I guess that's good enough for me to say it's worth taking the time to candle-anneal my brass now. The amount of time it takes doesn't seem onerous, as I'm usually just listening to podcasts or music while I noodle around in my reloading shop anyways.

I may take a stab at the molten salts deal one of these days, as it seems pretty tidy, but that might involve actually pre- and post-annealing group measurements, and that would definitely smack of rifle looneyism if you ask me.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z

I don't believe that for a moment. I've met the owner and his son. Very decent straight up people who are absolute perfectionists. They can't keep up with the demand for their AMP machine as it is so there is no need to try and discredit anyone else's annealing ideas. They're just trying help people realize that what they think is great annealing is not necessarily so. They also say, "for those reloader's considering getting started on annealing, and who are on a budget, we would recommend a gas flame-based option".

They have also addressed many of the issues that have been raised on various forums regarding their original report on salt bath annealing in "Molten Salt Bath Annealing Report Addendum" at the end of the original report.

https://www.ampannealing.com/articles/52/salt-bath-annealing--does-it-work-/

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by tack
I use an electric drill to slowly rotate the case held in a proper size shell holder in a semi dark room. Remove the heat as soon as the neck/shoulder turns deep red. No water. I use two shell holders to make handling easier.

Brass begins to glow a faint orange at about 950° so I'm assuming a deep red might be approaching 1300° In either case both of them are going to produce brass that is "over"annealed the deep red approaching "extreme" annealing

Trystan

Key words are “ semi dark “ and “ deep red “

I’m sure that Brass does probably begin to glow a faint orange at 950. That “ faint orange “ has long surpassed the temperature of a “deep red” in the dark. A deep red is the color you see when the brass first starts to give light in semi dark to dark conditions.The brass is not over annealed using this method imo. It hold compressed loads just fine.

Don’t believe me? Count how many “Mississippi ‘s” in the dark it takes to get a “ deep red “on the brass with a torch and then count the same number of Mississippi’s in a well lit room. You will find that there is no detectable glow. Brass is annealed very consistently with good scientific methods and practice.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use Anneal Rite. https://cartridgeanneal.com/ Its as simple as it gets. Download a Metronome to your phone, have a 2 second tempo (2 seconds is the time it takes to heat a case, per several test with 750 tempilaq), and get in the groove. Total time of 4 seconds per round, two seconds to load plus 2 seconds to anneal. 100 rounds in 400 seconds (less than 7 minutes). No setup time, foolproof, as easy as it gets. I'll spend money on cool tools, can't load without the Girard case trimmer and have had one for well over 10 years, but the simple Anneal Rite is where its at for annealing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I use Anneal Rite. https://cartridgeanneal.com/ Its a simple as it gets. Download a Metronome to your phone, have a 2 second tempo (2 seconds is the time it takes to heat a case, per several test with 750 tempilaq), and get in the groove. Total time of 4 seconds per round, two seconds to load plus 2 seconds to anneal. 100 rounds in 400 seconds (less than 7 minutes). No setup time, foolproof, as easy as it gets. I'll spend money on cool tools, can't load with the Girard case trimmer and have had one for well over 10 years, but the simple Anneal Rite is where its at for annealing.

I like that setup. Thanks for the lilnk.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JG,

I've had an Anneal-Rite for several years. For the price, it's one of the best solutions to annealing large amounts of brass. In the chapter on annealing in GUN GACK II provides some more suggestions on how to use it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks MD. Much appreciated.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SawDoctor
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by tack
I use an electric drill to slowly rotate the case held in a proper size shell holder in a semi dark room. Remove the heat as soon as the neck/shoulder turns deep red. No water. I use two shell holders to make handling easier.

Brass begins to glow a faint orange at about 950° so I'm assuming a deep red might be approaching 1300° In either case both of them are going to produce brass that is "over"annealed the deep red approaching "extreme" annealing

Trystan

Key words are “ semi dark “ and “ deep red “

I’m sure that Brass does probably begin to glow a faint orange at 950. That “ faint orange “ has long surpassed the temperature of a “deep red” in the dark. A deep red is the color you see when the brass first starts to give light in semi dark to dark conditions.The brass is not over annealed using this method imo. It hold compressed loads just fine.

Don’t believe me? Count how many “Mississippi ‘s” in the dark it takes to get a “ deep red “on the brass with a torch and then count the same number of Mississippi’s in a well lit room. You will find that there is no detectable glow. Brass is annealed very consistently with good scientific methods and practice.

I'm always open to learning something new. Have you ever used templac to test this theory or are you just guessing? Not trying to be smart with you I really want to know how accurate the method is

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use a lee lock stud in drill. Chuck the case up , spin the neck in the flame(In the dark) while counting Mississippi’s. Once you’ve established how many Mississippi’s a deep deep red is,( the first color you will see in the dark. Whatever you want to call that color) you can turn on the lights and just count Mississippi’s. I always quench the cases so I don’t get burnt taking them out of the lock stud. It speeds it up as well.

You will not see any kind of glow, with the same number of Mississippi’s, in the light btw. I’m not looking for a specific harness either so why would I use templac? I’m just looking to bring every case to the same hardness. That’s way more important than a few points on the Brinell scale either way.

The brass winds up hard enough to hold any compressed loads I have tried. More importantly it holds all the bullets in a consistent manner.

Not really a theory btw. Not sure the exact temp brass gives light in the dark but it’s less than 950!

Last edited by SawDoctor; 09/09/19.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (280rem_cm, 12344mag, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 17 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.