Print Thread
Hop To
Page 58 of 117 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 116 117
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Well, I guess I could choose to PRETEND to believe. That would have made my saintly Grandmother very, very happy.

Nor can I choose to believe the sun sets in the East, or that 2+2=7, or that this nation will be better off after the commies win and we are living Lenin's Dream.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rainshot
It's not a threat just a statement and we all will eventually find out.

Of course it's a threat. Your underlying message is repent now or burn forever in a lake of fire.

You say it's just a "statement", great, provide good evidence for it.

Additionally your claim "we all will eventually find out" is also unsupported. If you are dead, and there's no existence after death, you will not exist in a state capable of experience, so no, you won't find out....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Well, I guess I could choose to PRETEND to believe. That would have made my saintly Grandmother very, very happy.

Nor can I choose to believe the sun sets in the East, or that 2+2=7, or that this nation will be better off after the commies win and we are living Lenin's Dream.

Do the Christians think there "all knowing" god is too stupid to know who's just pretending as a ploy to get into heaven?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Hell, it does not take an Omniscient God to pick the hypocrites from any congregation I have been a part of.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Now demonstrate that your god actually exists.

Demonstrate that He doesn't.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by DBT
You can claim Micky Mouse runs the Universe for all its worth.

You still don't get it. I'm not claiming anything, you are.

I am pointing out that there is abundant evidence to support the reality of natural evolution and absolutely none for the existence of a God....whatever that is supposed to be. Therefore the former is an observation and the latter a claim...a faith based claim.

As I said, you still don't get it. What "claim" have I made on here?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk

It is the positive claim that has the burden of proof.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's the person that desires to change the views of others that has the burden of proof.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One either chooses to believe or not. We all have free will and sometimes we trust what we think we know rather than what truly is. God gives us a choice. In the end you will reap the reward you have earned.

So you say that you choose to be convinced that something is true? Or you can choose not to be convinced. In which case you can choose to be convinced that Brahman is the Creator of the Universe rather than the God of the bible? Or you can choose to believe that the Moon is made of green cheese and the earth is flat?

That conviction/belief is all a matter of ''free will'' right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk

It is the positive claim that has the burden of proof.

Sophistry

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fubarski
It's the person that desires to change the views of others that has the burden of proof.

Why would you 'desire' to change your views? Is that not a matter of evidence? Do you 'desire' to change your beliefs because you see that they are wrong, or that you hope for reward? Reward in the promised afterlife? The carrot and the stick that the gospel writers loved to invoke...believe this or suffer eternal damnation?

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

As I said, you still don't get it. What "claim" have I made on here?

I was referring to creationist claims, obviously. I am talking about the issue of creationism versus natural evolution and justification through evidence or the absence of it.

It being the creationist who makes the claim of creation when the evidence supports natural evolution.

This is not a person thing between you and me...at least not for me.

Last edited by DBT; 08/11/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One either chooses to believe or not. We all have free will and sometimes we trust what we think we know rather than what truly is.
God gives us a choice. In the end you will reap the reward you have earned.

One does not get rewards for believing, nor is being saved a reward.

One is saved by the grace of God alone. you cannot earn salvation.
One only gets heavenly rewarded according to ones works as judged by God.

This thread has shown how little a number of christians know about the Lord explained in the Book,
the fact they don't grasp the fundamentals clearly and plainly laid out in print, is embarrassing but
not at all uncommon or unusual for supposed christians.

Do the Christians think there "all knowing" god is too stupid to know who's just pretending as a ploy to get into heaven?

but God didn't say they could not go on fooling themselves with a 'fake it till you make it' approach.

however the results will speak for themselves .. grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

The issue is justification of belief...which entails evidence. Creationists/theists are trying to 'spread the message' and get others to believe. Science doesn't care what you believe, especially if you can't demonstrate the truth of your belief, which takes evidence.

The evidence to evolution is more than sufficient to prove the reality of evolution. So if someone 'chooses' to disregard the facts, that is their problem.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
One either chooses to believe or not. We all have free will and sometimes we trust what we think we know rather than what truly is. God gives us a choice. In the end you will reap the reward you have earned.

Why do people keep trotting out this utterly stupid statement? Time and again, every religious thread brings it out. Can people simply not think? Choose to believe in the Easter bunny....go ahead, try it. How about Santa Claus? There's no downside, only benefits. Free presents, free chocolate eggs....maybe it only happens if you believe? But you can't, because it seems ridiculous to you. This is why Christians generally won't respond to this question, because it makes it a bit of a problem to judge and condemn people who believe wrongly in their eyes.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by xxclaro

Why do people keep trotting out this utterly stupid statement? Time and again, every religious thread brings it out. Can people simply not think? Choose to believe in the Easter bunny....go ahead, try it. How about Santa Claus? There's no downside, only benefits. Free presents, free chocolate eggs....maybe it only happens if you believe? But you can't, because it seems ridiculous to you. This is why Christians generally won't respond to this question, because it makes it a bit of a problem to judge and condemn people who believe wrongly in their eyes.

Would have to agree.

The statement is just too stupid for words...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by DBT

The issue is justification of belief...which entails evidence. Creationists/theists are trying to 'spread the message' and get others to believe. Science doesn't care what you believe, especially if you can't demonstrate the truth of your belief, which takes evidence.

The evidence to evolution is more than sufficient to prove the reality of evolution. So if someone 'chooses' to disregard the facts, that is their problem.

The theory of evolution has not been proven, nor can it be proven within the scientific knowledge possessed by mankind at the present time.

You don't have the intellectual capacity to argue the point, so you just bullshit your way through by repeatin ta yourself that it's proven.

You've gone on and on in this thread and others, with a mania that would be concerning to a mental health professional, but the good news is nobody on the fire gives a shat.

And you've accomplished nothing, because your lame google cut and paste crap hasn't changed a single opinion.

If you choose to disregard those facts, that is your problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why do people keep trotting out this utterly stupid statement? Time and again, every religious thread brings it out.
Can people simply not think? Choose to believe in the Easter bunny....go ahead, try it. How about Santa Claus?
There's no downside, only benefits. Free presents, free chocolate eggs
....maybe it only happens if you believe? ....

Believing is not about rewards (on earth or in heaven.)

accepting Jesus as savior allows one to receive the Holy Spirit, ... .if a person does not possess the Holy Spirit,
he or she does not belong to Christ.

Holy Spirit is the seal of salvation for all those who believe.

if one has the Spirit ,they are then controlled not by their sinful nature but by the Spirit.

but Thats what makes me highly sceptical as to the number of genuine christians in the world,
[ie:] how many claiming to be christian actually have the Spirit?...where are all those people that
are controlled by the Spirit and not their evil nature...???

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Fubes,
Evolution has been proven over and over and over again. And that and all the evidence is all the supporting phenomena (genetics, heredity, math, etc. etc.) is why they call it a THEORY and not a hypothesis. You are embarrassing. Read any elementary biology text.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ingwe

Would have to agree.

The statement is just too stupid for words...

Maybe not so stupid....I will risk using a silly example... but..... for example, do you believe in the Easter Bunny? Probably not and you could provide the reasons why you don’t believe. There may be evidence that the Easter Bunny does indeed live.... at least on the Hallmark Channel, but after looking at the evidence, you choose ....”not” to believe in the Easter Bunny. It is indeed a choice you have made.

You likely make similar choices about “right” and “wrong”..... and about political philosophies.... you get the idea... you make choices about what you believe.

Now one might say that a person is simply a product of his environment and really cannot overcome that and make his own choices. Only the weak minded and cowardly hold to that thinking. It implies that one is not responsible for his own choices.... I choose not to believe that..... based on the evidence seen in our human experiences.

Anyway, I have examined the evidence for the existence of God.... I looked at this argument for and that argument against and I chose to believe. Simple.

Warning: there are bible verses that clearly indicate that a man does indeed choose ...God or not....see Joshua’s statement about choosing God. But, it also teaches that God has a hand in it as well.... see Acts and the conversion of Lydia. These “side by side” teachings are somewhat of a mystery to me, but.... just because I do not fully understand simply means I do not fully understand....yet.

Last edited by TF49; 08/11/19. Reason: Pp, spel cjek

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Page 58 of 117 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 5 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.