Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jordan beat me to both points....and I agree that’s the only two disadvantages.

I remember old timers in the BR world talking about some excuberated yaw in bullets with contricity issues spun at higher RPMs, thought to be more prevalent when the bullet transitioned into its downward flight. With the proceeses today, I think it’s a non issue with premium bullets and I hear no chatter about it in my circle.

Personally I’m a big fan of faster twists. The main advantage I’ve seen is a consistent uptick in BC values. I can’t say it’s happened in every barrel/bullet combo I’ve loaded for, but I’ve had more improvements than not.

All my 6mm barrels now are 7 twists with the exception of one 6 BR barrel, which is an 8 twist. All I run in them are Hornady 108 ELDMs which has a an advertised G7 of .270. With trued velocities and running DOPE out to 1400, my adjusted BCs are anywhere from .280-.292. Granted each barrel is unique in how it treats a bullet but the additional twist rate is bound to have some positive effect.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i built a 7mm-08 before this cartridge was a commercial cartridge and this cartridge was one of the easiest most accurate cartridge i ever owned.i always recommend this cartridge to parents for kids and this is what my son grew up shooting and killin animals with a S.S. Remington 700 24 inch barrel that i did work too to make his rifle more accurate and of course he wanted a Leupold on his rifle too and Dad`s handloads. Here`s a funny story and his 7mm-08: opening mourning on my land it was -20 below and a foot of snow on the ground ,so i put 12 year old son in the stand called the Raddison stand, its enclosed with a big heater and its warm and very nice. anyway about 8 am i hear one shot then another so i knew son Cory had shot and i hoped he only had shot one deer but what ever ? now here`s the funny part as he told his Mother : dad put a doe decoy out at 150 yards for me to watch and dad poured deer pee on doe decoy`s butt and mom that big 8 point buck tried to mount that decoy ,then son said with big eyes again Mom then that buck mounted that decoy again and i shot him then buck fell down and got up and tried to run so i him again. his mother looked at me and i am laughing , and his Mother my wife says :that must not be legal ! what are teaching are son that`s terrible ? that was 20 years ago and i still laugh when i listen to my son explain that to his mother.

Last edited by pete53; 07/31/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
This is my latest build. It’s a 700 action that was fluted and new bolt knob installed by Kampfeld. I went with a Hart #3 fluted barrel finished at 21”. Manners EH8 and Timney trigger. It was built completely and cerecote graphite black by Accurate Ordnance in Winder, Ga. easily one of my favorite deer rifles. It’s a little laser beam too.

Link to rifle pic
https://imgur.com/a/Mxln83A

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Nice looking rifles.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by d500lnn
This is my latest build. It’s a 700 action that was fluted and new bolt knob installed by Kampfeld. I went with a Hart #3 fluted barrel finished at 21”. Manners EH8 and Timney trigger. It was built completely and cerecote graphite black by Accurate Ordnance in Winder, Ga. easily one of my favorite deer rifles. It’s a little laser beam too.

Link to rifle pic
https://imgur.com/a/Mxln83A

Thats a keeper Nick - really like that one a lot. The guys at AO do nice work!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
That is pretty cool.

Weight?

Edge fill?

DF
I forgot to list the weight..... 6#, 11 oz.. Sporter fill.

Lee, what Lilja profile is that?

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by mathman
Sweet looking rig. I like the way the barrel shank is trimmed.

I agree. Nice job Lee.
What was the shank length and contour on that one?
#2 Lilja, shank's just 7/8" IIRC (already boxed up for shipment or I'd measure it for certain - since I can't remember wth I did ten mns ago.. .. smile )

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Sweet looking rig. I like the way the barrel shank is trimmed.

I agree. Nice job Lee.
What was the shank length and contour on that one?
#2 Lilja, shank's just 7/8" IIRC (already boxed up for shipment or I'd measure it for certain - since I can't remember wth I did ten mns ago.. .. smile )

Thanks AKwoverine. I obviously missed that.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.