Hop To
Page 63 of 117 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 116 117
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Not talking about near death experiences. Try Googling "terminal lucidity". Fascinating phenomena.

You need to explain how ""terminal lucidity" helps with whatever you are trying to argue. It's not clear what your argument is. You just throw this out as if it's obvious. You should provide an actual argument.

It appears you didn't do as he suggested and check it out on google.

I know what it is, but it doesn't help. It is still being researched, but it is known that the brain can give a final burst of exceptional activity in the moment of death, which not only produces terminal lucidity but near death experiences.

Even patients who suffer from permanent memory loss may have moments or short periods of relative lucidity, like the connections somehow come together for a period then fail.

Nor does TL occur with all patients with memory loss. It is being researched. As yet, there are no conclusions, there being something like 83 cases of terminal lucidity in the last 250 years, some accounts (not certain).

Recent findings of surges in brain activity at the point of death seem to indicate that the brain is very active at the time when the body is shutting down

''But could a ‘rational’ explanation exist? We can only speculate, but there are cases of individuals, often autistic, who go years without speaking, but later demonstrate the ability. These are murky waters most of the evidence is anecdotal. It sometimes involves ‘facilitated communication’ (of which the Ehmer case could be seen as a kind of strange prototype). But the mere fact that Ehmer did not speak, doesn’t prove that she could not speak.''

TL is not definitive proof of an afterlife or non material mind.

Last edited by DBT; 08/12/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
83 cases, reported cases compiled by whom? Could be many more.

Doesn't prove anything but is one of those things that makes you go, "Hmmm?"

In case you forgot the original issue was ancient Greeks and their belief that there is an aspect to human existence beyond the physical, distinguishing us from animals.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

In case you forgot the original issue was ancient Greeks and their belief that there is an aspect to human existence beyond the physical, distinguishing us from animals.

The ancient Greeks were great thinkers but that does not mean that they were right about everything they deduced about the nature of the world.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

this has been the one greatest schism between the pharisees, sadducees, and the heathens, pagans and others involving greece & egypt?

i don't have the "training" nor knowledge to disagree with any of their various beliefs, or ideas.

indeed, did humans come here to live, & die?

or did they come here to live, die & then depart?

serious stuff here. it divides a lot of tribal groups.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
The ancient Greeks were great thinkers but that does not mean that they were right about everything they deduced about the nature of the world.

It is a starting point, THE starting point for Western thought. You have to deal with those guys first.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
indeed, did humans come here to live, & die?

Or to learn. And not just of this physical universe.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There could be many more, however it does not happen in the majority of cases of brain damage and dying. Which indicates that there was some residual function activated under a final frantic burst of neuronal activity. There are probably far more living patients with brain damage/memory function loss that have moments of lucidity. There are some who have been in a coma for decades, yet became conscious. What can be said confidently is that the brain is an absolute marvel of complexity and functionality

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

It is a starting point, THE starting point for Western thought. You have to deal with those guys first.

Sure.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT

They're the folks who told us that a canon ball will fall from a tower faster than a bb because it's heavier.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
so, are we beginning to circle around the issue of eternal life, vs. the one life on urth?

the muslims like to circle around the black rock over there in mecca?

the hebrews and greek allies fought because of differences?

but here we are Americans w/Russians onward?

i mean, we both use the international space station?

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Look into terminal consciousness.

In any case the question would be valid whether you are aware or not. But the point is that to engage even in the contemplation of philosophy you must assume that there is something capable of contemplation. Or more broadly certain assumptions must be (carefully) made before the question posed can be rationally discussed.

We've already demonstrated why this argument is fallacious.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Fubarski
It's the person that desires to change the views of others that has the burden of proof.

The issue is justification of belief...which entails evidence. Creationists/theists are trying to 'spread the message' and get others to believe. Science doesn't care what you believe, especially if you can't demonstrate the truth of your belief, which takes evidence.

The evidence to evolution is more than sufficient to prove the reality of evolution. So if someone 'chooses' to disregard the facts, that is their problem.

If evolutionary science does not care what you believe, why is Intelligent Design being banned from being taught in the public school system? Why do the proponents of atheistic evolution have such a prejudice against it when the many of the greatest scientists believed in Theism and intelligent design? Evolution is state supported propaganda that uses a liberal court system to suppress all scientific debate in the public school system. The country was founded on Theism. Why are we banning the very foundational principles that made us great?

Uh, because Satan rules on earth (and the flesh degenerates as does civilization as it is overcome by bable). Or, because unbelievers are blinded and look for answers from creation rather than from the creator.

So your hypothesis about Satan ruling on Earth. Should that be part of the Science Curriculum?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by DBT
[quote=DBT]

Where does the gravity and matter/energy interaction come from?

It doesn't come from anywhere, matter/energy/gravity exists, something rather than nothing, cyclic, quantum fluctuations, multiverse.....nobody knows...not even those who assert 'God did it'

if we're willing to first assume a god, then that gives us a ladder to climb up out of the hole in the ground.

usually, i've depended upon monetary theorists, and macro economists to supply the ladder.

but, probably god could do the job just as well. maybe better. i don't know.

What good reason is there to assume any supernatural being?

Why assume god(s) and not pixies?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by DBT
[quote=DBT]

It doesn't come from anywhere, matter/energy/gravity exists, something rather than nothing, cyclic, quantum fluctuations, multiverse.....nobody knows...not even those who assert 'God did it'

if we're willing to first assume a god, then that gives us a ladder to climb up out of the hole in the ground.

usually, i've depended upon monetary theorists, and macro economists to supply the ladder.

there's more potential payoffs in assuming gods, vs. something less?

i mean, if we're going to assume "something" then let's go for the gold?

well, silver is good. it'll be the lesser of the two, and it'll buy meals at the store.

now, if pixies want to challenge the gods, and offer more, then let's hear their argument?

if the marketeers who represent and support the pixies, and can offer a good payoff, then why not?

right now, we're looking for a leader, down here on the urth, where we eat, work, and pay taxes. what next?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by DBT
[quote=DBT]

well, silver is good. it'll be the lesser of the two, and it'll buy meals at the store.

now, if pixies want to challenge the gods, and offer more, then let's hear their argument?

if the marketeers who represent and support the pixies, and can offer a good payoff, then why not?

right now, we're looking for a leader, down here on the urth, where we eat, work, and pay taxes. what next?

How about we don't assume anything, and base our beliefs on good evidence?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

but, probably god could do the job just as well. maybe better. i don't know. [/quote]

Why assume god(s) and not pixies?[/quote]

[/quote]

How about we don't assume anything, and base our beliefs on good evidence?[/quote]

oh my god! the idea is quite worthy.

but, it'd be an advance in the system?

i depend upon the macro economists.

are they all wrong? if so, then what?

whose got a better theory?

it's all theory, surely you know?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That would be far too rational and reasonable for some folks. Too much reality is a bad thing it seems.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DBT

That would be far too rational and reasonable for some folks. Too much reality is a bad thing it seems.

i don't think fairness, rational & reasonable has a role in this world at this point in time?

we can't have too much reality.

but somebody has to pay taxes.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by DBT

i don't think fairness, rational & reasonable has a role in this world at this point in time?

we can't have too much reality.

but somebody has to pay taxes.

This world appears to be run by Lunatics who have taken control of the Asylum.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
How about I start campaigning for reincarnation to be taught in our schools? How about life according to Buddha? Or the tenets of Shintoism? I am sure most of the existing Amerindian nations have some thoughts on the mystery of creation. Out of fairness, their beliefs must be represented in the schools if any are.

How are the teachings you happen to believe in, any more worthy of representation in the school than the beliefs of any other people? Because you believe yours to be true? HMMMM, that must be why we have that separation of church and state thing/

Why should any religious teachings replace the discoveries of science in the schools?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 63 of 117 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.