Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone been watching the series on the Sundance channel about the killing of Ken Rex McElroy back in 1981? Rather interesting, although they're dragging it as is usually the case about TV documentaries.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't seen the series but read the book a very long time ago. Sometimes people just need killing.

The book was In Broad Daylight: A Murder in Skidmore, Missouri

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have read up on this case quite a bit. He was a bad guy. He deserved to die.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
even the cops were scared of that dude

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Brian Dennehy played the role in the movie; In Broad Daylight, 1991.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I didn't see that. Dennehy would have been perfect for that role. That guy was a bad, badass bully.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Dennehy did play in the first movie about it...
It's all happened not far from here...if you want to really know what happened read the book in broad daylight...it tells just how bad that guy was...and the terror ...
Shortly after the killing there were a bunch of local guys went to prison...one was a resident of my home town...he ran a small grain elevator...others grand theft and such....we all think it was part of a huge ring ...
My fatherinlaws 2nd wife was in skidmore that day...hiding under the pool table...
I watched a few min of it and seen where it was going....the guy got just exactly what he had coming...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
“I didn’t see anything; I was hiding under the pool table.”

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

At one time I had dogs with a pro trainer that lived in Maitland, MO. He knew all about the killing and who did it. He
would never tell.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know the Skidmore people directly-but have a couple of friends that do.

I had heard about McElroy before they killed him. He was a menace to that community, hard to believe things he did.

Lots of locals know more than they will admit. Don't matter. Justice was served. Good for them.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you set out to write a novel with this story line, you could not dream up a better name for the town than Skidmore.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't attest to the accuracy of it, but the book In Broad Daylight, won an Edgar Award for True Crime, IIRC and is very entertaining. I've never seen a copy of the movie that wasn't effed up. A friend of mine taped it off the TV years ago and I've got a VHS copy that's not very good. Seemed like Dennehy and his co-stars did about as good of a job as they could have in a TV movie. It really needed more time to adequately tell the story. IIRC, the movie In Broad Daylight, was the second movie about it and was much more accurate and less preachy about the "vigilante" angle than the first one, which starred David Graf (Tackleberry from Police Academy), was out three years prior.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I didn't watch but a few min of it ...but did they tell how he would pull into a farmers homestead and load up his hogs or cattle and jus drive off...or how he would just stop on the road and take pot shots at farmers with a deer rifle on there tractors...the shooting of the store keeper was just the straw that broke the camels back....up till then he had never harmed anyone other than fear...no one could ever remember him in even a fist fight...probably because he was a big dood and everyone had a sence of what he was capable of...
Somthing to think about is we are a society of laws and government buy the people...when said law failed the people of skidmore they took it in there own hands...wouldn't it have been nice if they could have just arrested him themselves...oh wait he was out on bail with money stolen from the community...the system just failed in this case. Not the residents of skidmore ....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
We in MO have ways most dont understand

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ldholton

Very . very true . I'm from an extremely old family right here where I still live and if I was up to no good , welp --- I wouldn't want to piss-off a native Missourian . They are treacherous . I am Mr. Missouri , don't jack with my state .

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Been here all my life, it ain’t just Skidmore that handles business when need be. Bullies get theirs, sometimes even one with a badge. The most shocking part of the story to me was this guy living as long as he did. Been lots of folks lost in the woods or drowned in a lake for less. Sometimes a lot less. Them folks in Skidmore are a patient bunch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton

You folks got more patience than I will ever understand.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Been here all my life, it ain’t just Skidmore that handles business when need be. Bullies get theirs, sometimes even one with a badge. The most shocking part of the story to me was this guy living as long as he did. Been lots of folks lost in the woods or drowned in a lake for less. Sometimes a lot less. Them folks in Skidmore are a patient bunch.

Too patient. First time some son of a b**** shot at me for no damn reason he ain't going to do it again. I'll take my chances with the law

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I been thru Skidmore a few times.. Creepy feeling still there.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
How bout Clair McCasKill?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 10gaugemag, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,680
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.