Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
In Wabigoon for the last night, a friend's friend is looking for a fencer to keep a bear from raiding his garden. Any Northwoods men use a fencer to keep Yogi out? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't that kinda like trying to keep buffalo in a small pasture?

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard,

I had one that worked well enough. Solar, ParMak I believe. 6000v (?) or so, the bear didn't like it much.

Fish and Game guy did caution me that once a bear has gotten to the goodies (beehive in my case) the fence might not turn it. Worked for me though.

Good luck with it.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
00 buckshot works well.

Fück Joe byron
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
About the only thing we have found for bears or lions are dogs. Bears can climb anything. Seems once they understand there are dogs protecting the property they leave it alone.I have German Shepherds but it seems that small dogs like Border Collies may work better since they will not fight the bears like Shepherds or rotties will. The shepherds work very well but you might have a vet bill now and then. If you have wolves in the area don't use rotties or shepherds, the wolves will lure them out and eat them.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Heeler dogs

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Lots of beehives out here, the guys are using electric netting to keep the bears out. Not sure what charger they use, but seems to so the job. I drive by several hive sites on the way to work and I've only seen bears in them early in the season before they had the netting up. Premiere One sells a few different ones, I believe the white one is the one they use.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Electric fence with foil tabs smeared with peanut butter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Electric fence with foil tabs smeared with peanut butter.

Lmao. That oughta do it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big water balloons smeared with honey and filled with vinegar.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
When my grandad was alive and had beehives and a garden at his second home here in pa in the pocono mountains area where there were alot of black bears he had good luck with a solar charged 3 strand electric fence. Not sure of the power level, but i know it was a strong current.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
00 buckshot works well.

You always add such valuable input. We are so lucky to have you here.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skitish
About the only thing we have found for bears or lions are dogs. Bears can climb anything. Seems once they understand there are dogs protecting the property they leave it alone.I have German Shepherds but it seems that small dogs like Border Collies may work better since they will not fight the bears like Shepherds or rotties will. The shepherds work very well but you might have a vet bill now and then. If you have wolves in the area don't use rotties or shepherds, the wolves will lure them out and eat them.

I hear wolves make pretty good dog food. The wet kind
Not kibble.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would like to see a bear get hit by an electric fence. I bet he hauls ass out of there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I would like to see a bear get hit by an electric fence. I bet he hauls ass out of there.

https://youtu.be/Sv2G-aRDvyY

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As mentioned above, electrified netting or welded wire panels has the best odds of repelling bears. One needs to get the bear on the face as they are like sheep with their hair, hide, and fat insulating them from the shock. We use an inexpensive standard charger that I think stated it can handle 5 miles of fence per the packaging.

If the bear gets its head through and gets shocked on the neck, shoulders, or chest it is likely to move forward through the fence rather than pull back. After going forward, the bear is where it wants to be and has learned the deterent is short lived and relatively mild compared to the benefit. Then you have a real problem keeping the bear away.

Electric fences give off a vibe that animals seem to pick up on pretty well. A bear may get a shock the first time it tasted the peanut butter on the fence and probably ignore it from then on but it would continue to eat it if the electric energy was not felt. It's no different than cattle and one can tell the condition of the fence by how close the cows graze or rest.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 08/18/19.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Could someone please post the video of a deer carcass and a grizzly. The carcass is electrified and pretty quick the bear just rips it down and eats.
How nice there’s a grizzly and wolf center. Where’s the elk deer and moose center?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I write this cause a bear and a pig are pretty much the same critter and this thread reminded me of how I fried a hog when I was a kid. My parents were going to the farmers market and pop told me to run a strand of fence into the meadow while he was gone to move our 3 hogs in there on new grass. I was about 10 years old so too lazy to move the 12v electric box and run more wire I ran a single strand of fence around about 1/3 of an acre and into the milk house where I stuck it into a wall receptacle...then threw the fuse box main back on and turned the hogs into their new sty. Didn't take more than 5 minutes and the lights went off in the barn and house! I caught he!! for that but we ate fresh pork for 2 weeks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,425
Posts18,470,717
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.