Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If the OP’s budget is a $100, then the Labradar is off the table. I had a little bit of a learning curve with mine, but now it is very reliable, is accurate, and is super easy to use.

I used a Shoot’n Chrony for years, and it was a PITA to set up, and it had its own triggering problems. I’ve never used a Magneto Speed, but I like the Labradar’s ability to measure speed while shooting groups or checking POI.

If the budget was $600, then I would say Labradar hand’s down.

[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
MD: Any secrets to running the Prochrono?

Have fun.....j3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Imagine how you’re gonna feel when you get a Labradar.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
If he's anything like the people I know who own them, he'll feel like he's got a $500 chrono that doesn't trigger very well but gives semi-useful drag information.

I’ve been around enough LabRadars to know I don’t need one. The MS does everything I need it to and I build my own DOPE and info. Loading in 2-300 round lots, I’m not worried about a few zeroing shots. I have zero interest in shooting 100 yard groups as well....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If he's anything like the people I know who own them, he'll feel like he's got a $500 chrono that doesn't trigger very well but gives semi-useful drag information.

It’s amazing how many people can’t figure out how to use this simple device...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I record just about every shot not taken in a match. I practice at 400 - 850 yrds and as long as I’m not shooting under time, I record velocities and environmentals.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the Labradar is a great option, but it certainly doesn't fit my needs.

The thought of carrying an expensive, sensitive dopler radar and an external battery pack around just doesn't appeal.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

It’s amazing how many people can’t figure out how to use this simple device...

Oh I and everyone I know is well aware of how to use it. It just isn't particularly well designed or capable as a chronograph compared to the Magnetospeed. At a minimum they should replace the candy ass sighting system. But it does give you drag info and works for handgun. It's just a question of what you care about more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I find the sighting system completely adequate. Their user manual, instructional videos, user interface (right down to button icons), data logging strategy, and menu architecture do little to ease usability.

...And I’m generally a fan of the device.

Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Had the new magnetospeed at the range today,

very easy to use, it gave a reading every single shot, no errors,

handy has heck to slip on/off at a public range,

the issue with the velcro band slipping is real, you need to keep an eye on it, you'll likely be adjusting the bayonet every 5th shot.

easy peasy, but I do see the advantage of having a labrader type set up, for recording all data at all times with out impacts being affected.

Was going to buy the phone adapter/connector, but have decided not really necessary.

Thanks for the help guys.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by Kenneth
The Magneto Speed Sporter is worth a hard look.

Very accurate numbers that don't rely on the position of the sun or require placement down range all while taking up very little room in a range bag.

Huge thumbs up.

Any noticeable change in impact while using this?

You're hanging a weight on the bbl, so yes, anybody that knows about bbl harmonics should understand what this gets you.

In my experience, shots typically go nine tenths of a mil high and a tenth mil left.

Spot on velocity readings are worth it though.

Mine causes bullet impact to go 4 inches high and 1 inch left generally. Like it also.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Pro Chrono. For the price can't go wrong. DLX with Bluetooth.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by joshf303
Imagine how you’re gonna feel when you get a Labradar.

I’ve been around enough LabRadars to know I don’t need one. The MS does everything I need it to and I build my own DOPE and info. Loading in 2-300 round lots, I’m not worried about a few zeroing shots. I have zero interest in shooting 100 yard groups as well....

If you are just building dope y use a chronograph at all?
[Linked Image]
Shooter app is 10$ just take my Kestrel along and plug in environmentals perfectly best dope available. New G7BC make it even easier. SD ES are typically a nonissue with good barrels and they show up quickly.

Last edited by fredIII; 09/02/19.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I use a Lab Radar exclusively now, using a Pro Chrono beforehand. I got a steal on the Lab is the only reason I picked it up. The Pro Chrono is a marvelous little instrument. I’ll sell mine now that I have a lab if anybody needs one. It has new screens.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Lol......yeah, figuring out how to get my Labradar to trigger was the biggest challenge. But I did. As a testament, I have not used my Oehler M35 in almost a year.

Plus, I'm chronographing while shooting from prone a lot more in recent times--something I would not try with my M35.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
The Magneto Speed Sporter is worth a hard look.

Very accurate numbers that don't rely on the position of the sun or require placement down range all while taking up very little room in a range bag.

Huge thumbs up.

Any noticeable change in impact while using this?

YES it can affect accuracy

I only use my Magneto Speed for speed testing PLUS I have had the old original Magneto speed and it is great. Friend that also has a early unit like mine also picked up the new sporter version. He says the sporter is junk to stick with the old version......

Last edited by old_willys; 09/05/19.

Ted
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Labradar is the best tool for recording velocities, so easy to use that every shot from the bench is recorded, this helps in controlling your handloads.
It is accurate, 0.1% error, or 3 ft/s at a mv of 3000 ft/s
You get down range velocities as well, I set mine at increments to 100 yards, excellent for back engineering BC's under your conditions.
The magneto speed has its place and is ideal for checking lots of loaded ammunition for velocity such as in a military or law enforcement applications. For the handloader its the Labradar first and only.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Axtell
The Labradar is the best tool for recording velocities, so easy to use that every shot from the bench is recorded, this helps in controlling your handloads.
It is accurate, 0.1% error, or 3 ft/s at a mv of 3000 ft/s
You get down range velocities as well, I set mine at increments to 100 yards, excellent for back engineering BC's under your conditions.
The magneto speed has its place and is ideal for checking lots of loaded ammunition for velocity such as in a military or law enforcement applications. For the handloader its the Labradar first and only.

Bold statement. Does it have a proof channel?

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Also, 100 yards is hardly enough for calculating downrange BC's. One of the reasons so many bullet-factory BC's have been revised in recent years (especially those of higher-BC bullets) is that most were calculated off 100-yard velocity loss--which isn't enough to predict longer-range results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 66 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.