Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
One of my local reloading-supplies-shop seems to always have lots of Hornady brass available, and really very little of any other brands.

What is your opinion of Hornady when comparing their brass to Lapua and other top-quality choices?

Thanks!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady 6.5CM - I have some that I have loaded 15 time and still looks great, but lately I had a batch (20 box) that the case necks were breaking off. Shot one where the bullet fired and case ejected but the neck was stuck in the chamber. Took gun home cleaned it, went back and had same thing happen. Tried to pull rest of bullets with impact puller and case necks would break off with bullets and I ended up tossing 20. I usually buy cheap Hornady Whitetail loaded ammo, shoot it up then reload the cases. That was the only batch that I have had issue with but it was very strange and not exactly confidence inspiring. Think I may try some Starline next time I buy brass.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have found it to be of very good quality in 7mm Rem Mag ,30-06, and 338 Win Mag. Also use it in various handgun cartridges. Seems to be lasting well through several loading's.

centershot, Did you contact Hornady with your problem, and if you did, what did they say?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Compared to Lapua it's not as consistent - but my results are mixed based on three samples.

I look for neck wall concentricity first and foremost. If most of the cases in a batch of 100 vary no more than .001" in neck wall thickness (or maybe .0015" depending on the application) then I'm happy. It takes a while to determine longevity but neck sizing only and bumping shoulders a couple thou only every 4-5 firings seem to make most everybody's brass last a long time.

With that in mind, the bad first. Bought two 50 round boxes of Hornady .22-250 brass and results with the first firing were disappointing. Measured the 1X brass and fully 60% of them varied more .002", with a bunch of them going up to .003 and .004". I've never seen brass whose neck walls varied that much. I tossed the entire 100 cases, wasn't worth messing with them.

The good. Have purchased a batch of 100 6.5 Creedmore and 100 .250 Savage brass. Six of the Creedmoor cases varied over .0015", not great but better on average than Remington, Winchester or Prvi brass. The .250 Savage brass was about the same, 8 cases didn't make spec but the worst ones only went .002". Given the rifle and application they're used for that's fine.

Bottom line opinion - if your needs aren't critical then Hornady should fit the bill and might turn out to be very good, but if you want the best go for the top end and top $ names. Couldn't say on the Starline bottle neck cases but their straight wall .38-55 brass seems to be pretty good. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Hornady 6.5CM - I have some that I have loaded 15 time and still looks great, but lately I had a batch (20 box) that the case necks were breaking off. Shot one where the bullet fired and case ejected but the neck was stuck in the chamber. Took gun home cleaned it, went back and had same thing happen. Tried to pull rest of bullets with impact puller and case necks would break off with bullets and I ended up tossing 20. I usually buy cheap Hornady Whitetail loaded ammo, shoot it up then reload the cases. That was the only batch that I have had issue with but it was very strange and not exactly confidence inspiring. Think I may try some Starline next time I buy brass.

In the batch of Starline 6.5 Creedmoor brass I've tried, the consistency and tolerances were fairly horrid. Hornady has been much better IME.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
223,6.5 Creedmor and the 6.5 Grendel brass has been good for us.

Some Grendel brass has been loaded about 12 times and have had 1 case with a split neck.

Can't say anything about the lapua brass because i have never had any.

The Starline brass has done a similar job in these and others.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Re Starline, from 2017:

Originally Posted by mathman
I recently bought 50 pieces of 308 Win bulk packed from Midway. They are heavier than WW 308 brass, 178 grains avg vs 155 or thereabout. The neck walls are thicker than WW, .014" vs .012". I didn't take time tonight to measure them all around for consistency.

As I received them the case mouths were a bit rough for my taste. The inside edges needed chamfering, and the outside edges needed a fingernail catching "overhang" removed. I started by knocking back the inside rough edges a bit with the slotted Lee chamfer tool. Then I ran the necks over a .307" mandrel in an expander die. Now the necks were round so I gave them a good chamfer inside and out with a Wilson chamfer tool. I finished by running them through a Lee collet neck sizer to tighten them for loading.

I loaded twenty pieces and four finished cartridges had .005" runout measured on the bullet ogive, nine had .003" runout, and seven had .002" runout or less. Each cartridge was marked for runout so I'll be able to tell how much straighter they get on their second loading. I've found the straightest cartridges are usually made on the second loading.

Since I last posted in this thread I loaded the other thirty pieces, but before I assembled those I weighed every one of them. There were two weight classes in this batch of brass, one at 176-177 grains and another at 179-180 grains. Why am I not saying the cases weighed 178 grains, +/-2 grains and that's not bad for non-Lapua class stuff? It's because the distribution was clustered in the stated bands, nothing much in the middle. Maybe there were two lots mixed in this bulk pack brass from Midway. That's not the problem though.

This evening I did take some time to measure the necks with my tubing micrometer and they are a disappointment. The majority of them are .015" thick on one side and .013" thick on the other. It looks like my neck turning gear will get a workout.

Update: I've turned them to .0125" and a good number of them have patches on the neck that didn't clean up. If this batch is representative then Starline brass isn't what you want for precision work.

Last edited by mathman; 08/20/19.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can not dispute what you say. I am not into shooting targets only in as much as I look for a good accurate load to hunt with in my guns and do not check my brass to the level some do.
Having said that then I guess I can't explain why when using average/normal reloading practices, I have found loads using Hornady brass that have given me moa or better results in three different rifles.
Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand and maybe learn a little something.
What kind of accuracy have you been able to obtain on 1st loading as opposed to once fired?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Hornady brass.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

centershot, Did you contact Hornady with your problem, and if you did, what did they say?[/quote]

I just chucked them and moved on. I did keep one, maybe I should take a picture of it and send it to them.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by byron
I can not dispute what you say. I am not into shooting targets only in as much as I look for a good accurate load to hunt with in my guns and do not check my brass to the level some do.
Having said that then I guess I can't explain why when using average/normal reloading practices, I have found loads using Hornady brass that have given me moa or better results in three different rifles.
Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand and maybe learn a little something.
What kind of accuracy have you been able to obtain on 1st loading as opposed to once fired?

Mathman was referencing Starline brass above after Centershot stated that he might try Starline.

Last edited by lastround; 08/20/19.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you sir. Reading comprehension not good today!

Sorry Mathman : )

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks friends, for your opinions on the Hornady brass.

Very interesting and diverse results from your experience.

I will try one bag of ‘06 brass and let you know how I come out.

I don’t pay much attention to how my first loading of brass performs, because my second loading, when I bump back .0015, is when I have higher hopes!

Have a super week.

--- Will Rogers
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I find I sort and reject about 2/3 of cases from Hornady due to weight variation, whereas some higher end manufacturers might be more like 1/3 rejected. For me it's about price. If the Hornady is enough cheaper, I'll use it. The primer pockets and flash holes seem to be OK, and I have no problem producing accurate ammunition with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Crab

I don’t pay much attention to how my first loading of brass performs, because my second loading, when I bump back .0015, is when I have higher hopes!

Have a super week.

You might look into the American Whitetail ammo from Hornady. It's not much more than raw brass and being how you will be shooting it once just to basically fire form, it may actually be cheaper in the long run. And from what I have tried it can be very accurate and is loaded with good old Interlocks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm having good luck with the Hornady brass for my 308. It's their 'target' version, so I guess that they take a bit more care in it? Who knows. In my 308 I'm on my 3rd reload with no signs of any problems. I'm not a competitive shooter, just a hunter that likes to burn powder and send bullets.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Old_Crab

Have a super week.

You might look into the American Whitetail ammo from Hornady. It's not much more than raw brass and being how you will be shooting it once just to basically fire form, it may actually be cheaper in the long run. And from what I have tried it can be very accurate and is loaded with good old Interlocks.

Wow, this is a very, very good idea!
Thanks, centershot! This will save me the time of handloading that first loading just for the purpose of fire-forming.
Slick!!

--- Will Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,246 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.