OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Blood red sun last evening, damn feral horses in camp again... taking a big chance eating behind my targets.

Kent

GB1

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Still, I want to try the straight fletching. Kinda like trying a different powder or bullet combination.

How good are you at bow tuning?

Never messed with it much besides arrow spine, brace height, and nock point. Arrows seem to fly fairly well. I'm only shooting within 20 yards, traditional bow.

Did notice that arrows hit the target at an angle using my 45lb bow (same exact model as my 55lb) when using the arrows spined for the 55.

This season I'll work with what I've got and play with it next year. Figured I'd ask for hints on the bowhunting forum,

Don't want to hijack KRPs thread, so that's enough out of me.

Geno

Hyjack all you want, this is an anti'worldgonnafallofitsownedgeeveryonedies thread.

Over spine is badder than under, back end tries to pass the front like a big trailer pulled by a small car down hill, it can't straighten out, hits sideways, no penetration.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Still, I want to try the straight fletching. Kinda like trying a different powder or bullet combination.

How good are you at bow tuning?

Never messed with it much besides arrow spine, brace height, and nock point. Arrows seem to fly fairly well. I'm only shooting within 20 yards, traditional bow.

Did notice that arrows hit the target at an angle using my 45lb bow (same exact model as my 55lb) when using the arrows spined for the 55.

This season I'll work with what I've got and play with it next year. Figured I'd ask for hints on the bowhunting forum,

Don't want to hijack KRPs thread, so that's enough out of me.

Geno

Hyjack all you want, this is an anti'worldgonnafallofitsownedgeeveryonedies thread.

Over spine is badder than under, back end tries to pass the front like a big trailer pulled by a small car down hill, it can't straighten out, hits sideways, no penetration.

Kent

Started out this summer with the 45 as I hadn't shot much for a year +. Injuries, no tags, moves, health issues, work around here and the bows just sat for a while. So I tried the 45 to strengthen up the back muscles some. I switched over to the 55 a few years back, when I drew an elk tag there in AZ, I just never got more arrows spined for the 45, as it wasn't getting much use anyway.

This year, not having shot for awhile, when I first started noticing the arrows hitting a bit cockeyed I wondered if it was the wind (usually blowing in the afternoon here), my form, or the bow. Then after a couple of weeks of just shooting for back exercise and not too concerned with groups I figured I'd give the 55 a try, see how my back handled it, after remembering the arrows were spined for 55-65lbs. Arrows flew much straighter, so I've just been practicing with that bow. So far, I'm really happy up to 15 yds and might (big might) risk a shot on a large body mulie at 20. Never considered myself much good beyond that anyway. I'm happy trying to get close anyway. Had to pass on a 28 yd shot at an antelope back in 2005 or so in Unit 15. Didn't bother me in the least.

I'll ask tuning questions after the fall seasons in the bowhunting forum. It'll give the folks a lot of time to criticize each other's methods over the winter. laugh

Sent you a PM too.

Enjoy the cooler air.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
This is how I explain spine...

Say you have a stick and it's cut at 5 feet, and different weight round rocks.

If you push on a rock the stick will bend to get the rock rolling then bend less as it gains speed, a small rock takes less bend than a large rock, the amount of initial energy also affects the bend at start. The same stick at 4 feet would bend less and at 6 feet more.

So 3 factors, length of stick, size of rock and energy pushing.

You buy an arrow from a chart and have it cut to x length, now you are left with front weight and energy.

You add a field tip/broadhead, 100, 125, whatever you decide but hopefully charted you arrow for, and you have the poundage you set the bow at.

All arrows bend when the energy is released, you want it to bend optimally, so it flys the best.

Easiest way to affect spine once the arrows are cut and bow poundage is set is head weight, if you are in spine then change one of the three you have to change another to be back in spine.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 08/22/19.
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Like barrel harmonics, tuning is arrow harmonics and few bow shooters have their arrows tuned to their bow.

My buddy that has an elk hunt in a few weeks came over to shoot. Pro shop paper tuned and his sights wouldn't go high enough for a 20 pin. He shot poorly and I had him shoot a bare shaft, it flew completely sideways nock high... I admit I said WTF?

Looked at his bow with an arrow nocked and his loop was 3/8s high from square... but it paper tuned.

Eye balled center and square, couple bare shaft shots and small adjustments and he was shooting great, bow went from clanking to quiet. He would have hunted with it like that.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 08/22/19.
IC B2

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seen 2 muley bucks in a unit I can't hunt and 1 good antelope buck a mile off in the wide open headed north. All water holes are dry in the normal areas I hunt, no animals, no tracks... plan b...

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
There's something you don't see everyday Claude... what's that Maude?... elk chit in the sand dunes...

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

Sat watching a herd with a good antelope buck where others lived 1000 years ago.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a really good antelope buck between the trees 1000 yards off, does below.

Hiked a mile in, 2 muley does and a spike were on a ridge watching something on the other side, figured it was my herd and it was. Slowly moved to 700 yards when 3 cow elk and their calves went through the antelope and blew them out.

Interesting morning.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Hiked to those same trees and he's laid down at 416 yards, I'd make a sneak if I knew where the does were, can't see them.

Kent

IC B3

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Yep, there's a doe 100 yards from him... waiting game.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Nothing like classing antelope through heat waves... winds changing, bought time to leave.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Well a truck a mile off moved them back to me but they crossed over 130 yards, close on a mile by 4 mile grassland but to far for a bow shot.

They still never knew I was there.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Exelente Kent,

keep after 'em.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Will do Geno,

Seen a hunter with a rifle, thought WTF, looked it up and there's a limited opportunity cow elk hunt going on in this area where they don't want permanent herds just winter. Guess that's who ran those elk around.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yikes,

that kind f thing always gets my hair standing up a bit, knowing there's someone out there rifle hunting while I'm trying to put on a stalk and stay in cover.........where the rifle person can't see what's moving.

Stay safe.

Geno

In it is contentment

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Interesting.......

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Growing up, the oldtimers had their own language I guess you'd call it, maybe it was very localized because some terms are not used anywhere else.

Large open grassland areas in pinion/juniper country was called a Seneca. Native word maybe, I can't find a reference... don't think it's from senega or cienega but maybe a bastardization.

Anyway I like hunting these high fairly hidden Senecas, yesterday morning the antelope were missing but I glassed for a couple hours seeing only a couple coyotes, right before I left I caught movement on a far edge and it was 3 muley bucks, 2 big ones, moving from a lower zone to bed up high... made the morning worth it.

Saturday evening was windy, I glassed some new area then decided to find a waterhole I thought I remembered being off the beaten path. Found some landmarks I remembered, kinda. By the time I found it it was 6pm, thinking I would sit the water till dark. Unfortunately for me to see the stock pond my vehicle was exposed, I should have backed around a rise but I was 1/2 mile out. Started hiking in and glassed up a huge lope buck near the tank bobbing his head and trashing a juniper... chit... had a doe and fawn with him. I tried to sneak in using junipers as cover but they knew I was there and left well before I got close.

Back home working for 3 days then I'll return for the rest of the season. I don't expect to get one but I love the action of archery antelope, to bad it's decades between drawing tags here, will probably be my last one.

Kent

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This is very nice. gives me some idea too, well done.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back at it, 6 more days to go.

Came back and there's water everywhere now, monsoon geared up and dumped while I was gone.

Still the antelope are out, got to 318 yards then the wind changed.

My 7 year old granddaughter made her Ugly 'Ol Pappy a cake to take hunting, it was good.

Kent

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 1234, 73 invisible), 3,623 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,365
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.