Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I actually worked with a guy that was related to him. He refused to say much but I would say the line of genes were different than most.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sure took a long time to take care of, if all he's alleged to have done and the timeline is accurate.

MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by rainshot
How bout Clair McCasKill?

That b**** ain't Missouri St Louis big difference

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
We in MO have ways most don't understand

Dad lived outside of West Plains for several years as a boy/young man his dad was born in Mo. He lived in several other states and always said MO folks saw things somewhat different, never in a bad way just not like other places.

I remember when this happened and us talking about it, he wasn't surprised it had happened or that no one talked about it to outsiders

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Been here all my life, it ain’t just Skidmore that handles business when need be. Bullies get theirs, sometimes even one with a badge. The most shocking part of the story to me was this guy living as long as he did. Been lots of folks lost in the woods or drowned in a lake for less. Sometimes a lot less. Them folks in Skidmore are a patient bunch.

Too patient. First time some son of a b**** shot at me for no damn reason he ain't going to do it again. I'll take my chances with the law

Same here. That's the point of my original post. That SOB would have simply disappeared earlier and for less, in most places in MO. You really piss off folks here, you got it coming, and what or who you are doesn't matter. If the lights went out here for long, we'd be back to Hatfields and McCoys in a flash. The mentality still exists, it's just under wraps with most folks.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Been here all my life, it ain’t just Skidmore that handles business when need be. Bullies get theirs, sometimes even one with a badge. The most shocking part of the story to me was this guy living as long as he did. Been lots of folks lost in the woods or drowned in a lake for less. Sometimes a lot less. Them folks in Skidmore are a patient bunch.

Too patient. First time some son of a b**** shot at me for no damn reason he ain't going to do it again. I'll take my chances with the law

Same here. That's the point of my original post. That SOB would have simply disappeared earlier and for less, in most places in MO. You really piss off folks here, you got it coming, and what or who you are doesn't matter. If the lights went out here for long, we'd be back to Hatfields and McCoys in a flash. The mentality still exists, it's just under wraps with most folks.

Don't mess with my kinfolks my dogs for my dirt

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The saying was that Skidmore had the largest pool table in the country, as every resident said they were hiding under the pool table when the shots rang out.

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
True story ...that was there story and they stuck to it...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Some reading this thread may think the Missouri attitudes described may be just bluster and baloney. I lived down in Dent County for eight years. I can assure you that the attitudes and descriptions in this thread have basis in fact. Treat folks right and with respect and they were.... for the most part....real good folks. Mess with them more than once or twice and real trouble can come your way.

Just one of dozens of stories.... I shot a snapping turtle down at my pond one morning.... an hour or two later, I had three kinda owly guys at my door asking about their recently gone missing coon dog. They were not happy and certainly accusatory. I was an outsider and they thought I might have shot the dog. Sure glad I wasn’t that guy.

The Skidmore incident fits right in with attitudes I observed.

Last edited by TF49; 08/20/19.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

One more comment: I was living in Missouri at that time. After the shooting, there was a certain amount of virtue-signaling outrage expressed in the St Louis news and also a fair bit on the national news.... “How could this happen? Taking the Law into their own hands? A killing?”

The FBI responded and I remember an FBI agent on television telling folks the fbi was going to camp in Skidmore and not leave until the apprehended the perpetrator. Said they would surely get to the bottom of it....Sure.....They lasted only 6 months and then left.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TF49

One more comment: I was living in Missouri at that time. After the shooting, there was a certain amount of virtue-signaling outrage expressed in the St Louis news and also a fair bit on the national news.... “How could this happen? Taking the Law into their own hands? A killing?”

The FBI responded and I remember an FBI agent on television telling folks the fbi was going to camp in Skidmore and not leave until the apprehended the perpetrator. Said they would surely get to the bottom of it....Sure.....They lasted only 6 months and then left.

You know what they say about STL in the Ozark's? Sheeeeaattttt... (spit tobacco juice now). smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by TF49

You know what they say about STL in the Ozark's? Sheeeeaattttt... (spit tobacco juice now). smile

There you go lumping everybody together down in this area we're not all alike.........
Some of us don't chew

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
If you set out to write a novel with this story line, you could not dream up a better name for the town than Skidmore.

SkidMark perhaps?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Mom's family, a couple generations back, came from the Skidmore area. Grandfather was born in Burlington Junction, 2x great grandfather is buried in Quitman. Never met 1x or 2x great grandfathers, but if they were anything like my grandfather, they marched to the beat of a much different drum than most folks. Grandfather was a bitter, curmudgeon of a man and died in 1960. I was always told by grandmother he was that way after getting mustard gassed and returning from France in WWI. After reading some accounts of what went on in this area in this thread, I'm not so sure that was the whole story.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I moved to Missouri in 1960. History is never the whole story.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had never heard of this before this thread. I've been doing some reading about it. Quite the interesting story.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I had never heard of this before this thread. I've been doing some reading about it. Quite the interesting story.

Get the book. It is even better than online stuff.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I used to sell lots of firewood to a retired Mo State Trooper . wonderful old man .He was from over on the east side of the state and moved over to my side of Missouri . We were talking one time after I delivered him a load of oak and he said something about this area { The Burnt District ] and said , The history books sure were right --- theirs some hatred still left around here . Some of my best friends had family murdered by the Redlegs . An old woman in town , her Grandad was also shot in the back by them . Quintrell and Bill Anderson as well as the Younger brothers were very active within a mile or two frommy own farm as I write this . It's still dangerous to outside dickheads ! I sure love this place though . God Bless Missouri , the greatest state in the nation .

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Another thing , there's an old graveyard a couple miles from me that has my old ancestors who have birthdates pre-1800 . Yep , I come from an old family around here .

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Soooooo you're psychotic? lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (7887mm08, 35, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.