Hop To
Page 90 of 117 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 116 117
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Ringman, are you for real, or do you just like playing make-up on the internet?

No, he really is that stupid.

He makes for a rather amazing spectacle. Never seen anything like him.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
When Creationists suggest that evolution proposes a random process by which species come into existence, what they typically mean is that it’s like exploding a factory and having a 747 Jetliner assemble itself among the wreckage. Evolution isn’t random, though, because it’s a process of adaptation to specific pressures applied by the environment. Adaptation is possible due to a certain degree of heritable variability in reproduction. To suggest that this makes it random is absurd.

What you’re proposing is that the absence of intelligent design is de facto random.

Give it up!

Said Ezzard Charles to Rocky Marciano at the start of round eight, LMAO! grin

Although Charles was actually a fine fighter, so I shouldn't sully his name by the comparison.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Ringman, are you for real, or do you just like playing make-up on the internet?

No, he really is that stupid.

He makes for a rather amazing spectacle. Never seen anything like him.

No, Rich is anything but stupid.

My Grandparents, Aunts, and Uncles (all but one of which are gone now) all shared beliefs very similar. I dearly loved every one of them, and heartily respect their faith.

My Dad once (several times actually) explained to me the mechanism by which "the flood" occurred.

It seems that God did not include the moon in His original specifications for this Earth. The moon came along later, at just the right angle and velocity to be captured by Earth's gravitational force.

This sudden disruption tilted the Earth's axis, and was the origination of our four seasons. Also it seems that the Earth was fully enveloped in a layer of water, suspended above the stratosphere. And all this commotion upset the equilibrium of this water layer and caused it to crash down upon the surface of the Earth.

This also explains the extraordinary long lives recorded for early Bible characters. Everyone from Adam through Noah was protected from cosmic radiation by this suspended layer of water.

Dad put all the pieces together for himself. He had the puzzle solved, and to try any attempt to explain the Physics which would make such events impossible, was a complete waste of breath.

But then Dad also told us to avoid the 270 or 25-06 for deer hunting. The excessive velocity of those cartridges caused the bullet to pass through game so rapidly that the bullet would not have time to expand.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I don't think the old Testament is meant to be an accurate history of real events. I don't see how you can read many of the stories and accounts therein and think that they actually happened just exactly as stated. Probably many were based on actual events, or the authors understanding of certain events, but if you take the whole thing literally you end up having to explain and defend some really bizarre stuff. Even so, it doesn't mean there is no God. It seems that a lot of people feel it's all or nothing, the Bible is a 100% accurate account or else it's all worthless. I just can't see it that way.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I don't think the old Testament is meant to be an accurate history of real events. I don't see how you can read many of the stories and accounts therein and think that they actually happened just exactly as stated. Probably many were based on actual events, or the authors understanding of certain events, but if you take the whole thing literally you end up having to explain and defend some really bizarre stuff. Even so, it doesn't mean there is no God. It seems that a lot of people feel it's all or nothing, the Bible is a 100% accurate account or else it's all worthless. I just can't see it that way.

I think most intelligent people would agree with that.

Insisting that everyone believe in stuff for which there is no evidence, and other stuff for which there is contrary evidence, does nothing but drive intelligent people away from religion.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
And the obvious question; how did the Kangaroos make their way from the Ark in the middle east to Australia where they settled?

During the ice age the ocean was much lower than now. They migrated there.

Noah lived during the last ice age? kangaroos lived in the Middle East without leaving a single clue, then decided to move to Australia after the flood? What about Koalas? Did they migrate to Australia?

I posted about what the Bible says about the Pangaea earth. When you make statements like this about the Bible, along with all your other alleged discrepancies, its obvious that you have a very limited knowledge of it, and don't understand the most basic rules of Bible interpretation--such as context--comparing scriptures to get a complete picture rather than isolating aspects that were never intended to stand in isolation or be considered the whole--or maybe just a good does of common sense.

The explanation is absurd, a world wide deluge a few thousand years ago is absurd, the breakup of continents in that timeframe is absurd. You adopt and endorse bronze age creation myths and morality tales, the consequences of disobedience, how the world came to be, etc, and use ridiculous explanations in an attempt to defend these stories as being an explanation of the actual world, actual reality.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by DBT
Yet the pro bowler doesn’t rely on random chance. He throws the ball exactly as he intends so that at every inch of the way down it is doing exactly as he intends.

Natural evolution is not a matter of 'random chance' - what works survives, what doesn't falls by the waste-side....the world is littered with the remains of species that failed to adapt.

Of course, it’s random chance. The fact that some random chances result in organisms more suited to survival than others is, indeed the entire theory.

The world isn't random, chemistry and physics is not random, evolution is not random, organisms evolve in response to their environment, not randomly. What doesn't work falls by the wayside, which is not random, it is deterministic....the macro world being deterministic.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't think you guys have a very good grasp of how "random" fits into all of this. Randomness is everywhere, but that does mean everything is equally likely. Nor to most understand the iterative nature of natural selection.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I've read that there is far more evidence to prove creation than evolution.

You read it in Creationist literature. It's not science.

I
Evolution was pushed by athiests, Marxists, and Communists for over 100 years.

It's not pushed by anyone. It has stood both scrutiny and attack for 150 years.

Life was created.

Not according to the evidence.

Creationist literature is most likely more scientific than secular literature. At least they don't have change their discoveries. You challenge Jason Lisle's in the sun? You don't believe Henry Morris use of hydraulics is used by evolutionists?

The evidence for creation is at least the DNA and RNA molecules. Because your blind faith is so strong you can not see facts.

Good luck with proving that RNA and DNA is evidence for creation. That science is reviewed is its strength, not weakness.

It is the dogma of faith asserted as truth that is a weakness when it comes to sorting fact from fiction.

Each religion asserting their own faith, yet contradicting each other on the nature of 'truth.'

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by DBT

Neither is science.

Really? Care to elaborate?

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Yet the pro bowler doesn’t rely on random chance. He throws the ball exactly as he intends so that at every inch of the way down it is doing exactly as he intends.

Natural evolution is not a matter of 'random chance' - what works survives, what doesn't falls by the waste-side....the world is littered with the remains of species that failed to adapt.

Of course, it’s random chance. The fact that some random chances result in organisms more suited to survival than others is, indeed the entire theory.

The world isn't random, chemistry and physics is not random, evolution is not random, organisms evolve in response to their environment, not randomly. What doesn't work falls by the wayside, which is not random, it is deterministic....the macro world being deterministic.

It’s only deterministic in hindsight. Explain to me the mechanism by which the environment influences an organism to make a specific beneficial change or mutation.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
"The Darwinian theory of evolution is the phlogiston of our day, festooned with a myriad and growing number of patches. Evolution is slow and gradual, except when it’s fast. It is dynamic and creates huge changes over time, except when it keeps everything the same for millions of years. It explains both extreme complexity and elegant simplicity. It tells us how birds learned to fly and how some lost that ability. Evolution made cheetahs fast and turtles slow. Some creatures it made big and others small; some gloriously beautiful, and some boringly grey. It forced fish to walk and walking animals to return to the sea. It diverges except when it converges; it produces exquisitely fine-tuned designs except when it produces junk. Evolution is random and without direction except when it moves toward a target. Life under evolution is a cruel battlefield except when it demonstrates altruism. Evolution explains virtues and vice, love and hate, religion and atheism. And it does all this with a growing number of ancillary hypotheses. Modern evolutionary theory is the Rube Goldberg of theoretical constructs. And what is the result of all this speculative ingenuity? Like the defunct theory of phlogiston, it explains everything without explaining anything well. (pp 198-199)"

Matt Leisola, Finnish Research Biologist who lost his faith in evolution.

https://evolutionnews.org/2018/02/t...new-book-by-matti-leisola-jonathan-witt/

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
I've read that there is far more evidence to prove creation than evolution.

I
Evolution was pushed by athiests, Marxists, and Communists for over 100 years.

It's not pushed by anyone. It has stood both scrutiny and attack for 150 years.

Life was created.

Not according to the evidence.

Creationist literature is most likely more scientific than secular literature. At least they don't have change their discoveries. You challenge Jason Lisle's in the sun? You don't believe Henry Morris use of hydraulics is used by evolutionists?

The evidence for creation is at least the DNA and RNA molecules. Because your blind faith is so strong you can not see facts.

Good luck with proving that RNA and DNA is evidence for creation. That science is reviewed is its strength, not weakness.

It is the dogma of faith asserted as truth that is a weakness when it comes to sorting fact from fiction.

Each religion asserting their own faith, yet contradicting each other on the nature of 'truth.'

I'm still waiting for a cogent explanation of how these molecules evolved, please. Please don't appeal to Dr. Crick's explanation that spacemen brought them. That only sparks the question, from where did the spacemen come.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Biologist Ken Miller, the star witness for Neo-Darwinism in the Kitzmiller trial, says evolution is indeed "random and undirected" (says it numerous times) but then says that its not! You Darwinians can't even get the basics of your story straight. laugh

https://evolutionnews.org/2006/07/ken_millers_random_and_undirec/

Tarquin
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

It’s only deterministic in hindsight. Explain to me the mechanism by which the environment influences an organism to make a specific beneficial change or mutation.

The environment forces the organism/species to adapt or perish. The mechanisms of adaption are described in the theory of evolution, and already outlined in this thread numerous times.

Your alternative being magical creation, for which there is no physical mechanism or evidence.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarquin
"The Darwinian theory of evolution is the phlogiston of our day, festooned with a myriad and growing number of patches. Evolution is slow and gradual, except when it’s fast. It is dynamic and creates huge changes over time, except when it keeps everything the same for millions of years. It explains both extreme complexity and elegant simplicity. It tells us how birds learned to fly and how some lost that ability. Evolution made cheetahs fast and turtles slow. Some creatures it made big and others small; some gloriously beautiful, and some boringly grey. It forced fish to walk and walking animals to return to the sea. It diverges except when it converges; it produces exquisitely fine-tuned designs except when it produces junk. Evolution is random and without direction except when it moves toward a target. Life under evolution is a cruel battlefield except when it demonstrates altruism. Evolution explains virtues and vice, love and hate, religion and atheism. And it does all this with a growing number of ancillary hypotheses. Modern evolutionary theory is the Rube Goldberg of theoretical constructs. And what is the result of all this speculative ingenuity? Like the defunct theory of phlogiston, it explains everything without explaining anything well. (pp 198-199)"

Just an example of faith overwhellming reason. Being human, it can happen.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT

Yes. The theory is held essentially on the basis of faith.

Tarquin
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Wrong. That is the creationist claim.

A very small percentage of qualified people who hold to the idea of intelligent design do on the basis of incredulity, not evidence.

Matt Leisola is a poster boy of intelligent design, a belief that was put to trial with both side presenting their evidence and arguments, but Intelligent design failed to make the grade.

''A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism is a petition publicized in 2001 by the Discovery Institute, a creationist "think" tank, which attempts to push creationism, in the guise of Intelligent design, into public schools in the United States.[2] The petition expresses denial about the ability of genetic drift and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. It also demands that there should be a more careful examination of Darwinism. The petition was signed by about 700 individuals, with a wide variety of scientific and non-scientific backgrounds when first published. It now contains 984 signatures.[3]

The Dissent is reminiscent of the 1931 anti-relativity book, Hundert Autoren Gegen Einstein (A Hundred Authors Against Einstein),[4] which only included one physicist, and can be seen now as "a dying cry from the old guard of science" based primarily on philosophical objections.[1]

The petition states that:

We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged. There is scientific dissent from Darwinism. It deserves to be heard.

The petition continues to be used in Discovery Institute intelligent design campaigns in an attempt to discredit evolution and bolster claims that intelligent design is scientifically valid by claiming that evolution lacks broad scientific support. However, the language of the statement is misleading. It frames the argument in a way that anyone could agree with it. So long as they don't know the Discovery Institute's true motivations (which is to undermine evolution using deceit and trickery, not to show any kind of genuine fallibility with it), anyone who is open to the idea of scientific inquiry would agree that they should be skeptical of everything, including evolution. If only the writers of the statement (i.e. creationists) were skeptical of their own ideas, which they clearly aren't.

The petition is considered a fallacious Appeal to authority, whereby the creationists at the Discovery Institute are attempting to prove that there is a dissent from "Darwinism" by finding a few creationist scientists to support the statement. The roughly 700 dissenters who originally signed the petition would have represented about 0.063% of the estimated 1,108,100 biological and geological scientists in the US in 1999, except, of course, that three-quarters of the signatories had no academic background in biology.[5][6] (The roughly 150 biologist Darwin Dissenters would hence represent about 0.013% of the US biologists that existed in 1999.) As of 2006, the list was expanded to include non-US scientists. However, the list nonetheless represents less than 0.03% of all research scientists in the world.[7] Despite the increase in absolute number of scientists willing to sign the dissent form, the figures indicate the support from scientists for creationism and intelligent design is steadily decreasing.

Since scientific principles are built on publications in peer-reviewed journals, discussion in open forums, and finally through consensus, the use of a petition should be considered the last resort of a pseudoscience rather than a legitimate scientific dissent from the prevailing consensus.''

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Wrong. That is the creationist claim.

A very small percentage of qualified people who hold to the idea of intelligent design do on the basis of incredulity, not evidence.

Matt Leisola is a poster boy of intelligent design, a belief that was put to trial with both side presenting their evidence and arguments, but Intelligent design failed to make the grade.

''A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism is a petition publicized in 2001 by the Discovery Institute, a creationist "think" tank, which attempts to push creationism, in the guise of Intelligent design, into public schools in the United States.[2] The petition expresses denial about the ability of genetic drift and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. It also demands that there should be a more careful examination of Darwinism. The petition was signed by about 700 individuals, with a wide variety of scientific and non-scientific backgrounds when first published. It now contains 984 signatures.[3]

The Dissent is reminiscent of the 1931 anti-relativity book, Hundert Autoren Gegen Einstein (A Hundred Authors Against Einstein),[4] which only included one physicist, and can be seen now as "a dying cry from the old guard of science" based primarily on philosophical objections.[1]

The petition states that:

We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged. There is scientific dissent from Darwinism. It deserves to be heard.

The petition continues to be used in Discovery Institute intelligent design campaigns in an attempt to discredit evolution and bolster claims that intelligent design is scientifically valid by claiming that evolution lacks broad scientific support. However, the language of the statement is misleading. It frames the argument in a way that anyone could agree with it. So long as they don't know the Discovery Institute's true motivations (which is to undermine evolution using deceit and trickery, not to show any kind of genuine fallibility with it), anyone who is open to the idea of scientific inquiry would agree that they should be skeptical of everything, including evolution. If only the writers of the statement (i.e. creationists) were skeptical of their own ideas, which they clearly aren't.

The petition is considered a fallacious Appeal to authority, whereby the creationists at the Discovery Institute are attempting to prove that there is a dissent from "Darwinism" by finding a few creationist scientists to support the statement. The roughly 700 dissenters who originally signed the petition would have represented about 0.063% of the estimated 1,108,100 biological and geological scientists in the US in 1999, except, of course, that three-quarters of the signatories had no academic background in biology.[5][6] (The roughly 150 biologist Darwin Dissenters would hence represent about 0.013% of the US biologists that existed in 1999.) As of 2006, the list was expanded to include non-US scientists. However, the list nonetheless represents less than 0.03% of all research scientists in the world.[7] Despite the increase in absolute number of scientists willing to sign the dissent form, the figures indicate the support from scientists for creationism and intelligent design is steadily decreasing.

Since scientific principles are built on publications in peer-reviewed journals, discussion in open forums, and finally through consensus, the use of a petition should be considered the last resort of a pseudoscience rather than a legitimate scientific dissent from the prevailing consensus.''

Once again you resort to logical fallacies to defend your position, thus revealing it's inherent indefensibility. Whether "it" (the claim that Darwinism is held primarily on the basis of faith) is held by someone who you can caricature as a "creationist" or an actual Genesis, 6-day literalist is wholly and utterly irrelevant to whether the claim is true. Atheist intellectual skeptics are among those who think neo-Darwinism is held primarily on the basis of faith. Calling someone a "creationist" because they think organic life (the information necessary to instantiate it) can only be explained as the result of the intervention of an intelligence (intentionally conflating them with 6-day Genesis literalists) is another example of fallacious reasoning, again evidencing the intellectual bankruptcy of the defense of Darwinism. As far as peer review is concerned, it is wholly unnecessary to the advancement of science and roundly condemned by many intellectuals who argue convincingly that what peer review actually tends to do is undermine the advancement of scientific knowledge because reviewers often times simply impose their own biases to either ratify or refuse acceptance of otherwise worthy scientific information. Below are links to a great example of how the religion of Neo-Darwinism uses peer review to keep out dissent, while then claiming that because the dissent they wrongly squelch is not peer reviewed, its not real science. In other words, "heads I win. Tails you lose". Does that sound like real science to you?

https://www.discovery.org/a/2400/The whole enterprise is fraudulent.

http://www.richardsternberg.com/smithsonian.php?page=statement

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1420798/

Tarquin
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Once again you resort to logical fallacies to defend your position, thus revealing it's inherent indefensibility.

No I am not. Your accusation is unfounded. It not my personal position that needs defending because evolution is proven to happen, a proven reality. Your Intelligent design proponents had their day and failed to prove their claims of irreducible complexity.

The game being played by ID/creationists;

''We are skeptical of the claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged. (www.dissentfromdarwin.com)''

''The statement, of course, is widely and misleadingly cited by creationists as evidence for the claim that there is a genuine scientific controversy over evolution
Three members of the editorial board — Behe, Dembski, and Minnich — were slated to testify in Kitzmiller v Dover, although only Behe and Minnich did so (Elsberry 2006). Five members of the editorial board — Behe, Carlson, Edward Peltzer, Ralph Seelke, and Wells — testified in Kansas in May 2005 to express their support for the so-called minority report version of the state’s science education standards, rewritten with the aid of a local “intelligent design” organization to misrepresent evolution as scientifically controversial. (The standards were adopted in November 2005, only to be rescinded in February 2007, after the balance of power on the state board of education shifted.)

There are also connections with creationism in its traditional forms, starting with the editor-in-chief, Matti Leisola. He is identified by BIO-Complexity as “a professor of Bioprocess Engineering at Aalto University (previously Helsinki University of Technology).” Unmentioned, however, is the fact that he is evidently a dyed-in-thewool creationist, having spoken on his “30 years as a non-evolutionist” at the 8th European Creationist Conference (Anonymous 2003), being described by Creation Ministries International as a biblical creationist (Wieland 2009), and having told a Finnish Christian youth magazine that evolution “is basically a heresy” (Anonymous 2006).''

Discovery.org is a creation site, of course they repeat their discredited claims for the benefit of theists, but nothing of interest to the vast majority of those who work in the field or those who take the trouble to study evolution with an open mind.

And your link to possible problems with peer review is an example of science at work uncovering weaknesses in its practice, but in no way discredits the fact of evolution.

Page 90 of 117 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.